Question why have my motherboard and gpu ports stopped working?

May 21, 2019
so i recently replaced my cpu water cooling, due to the pump going bad and overheating, with a new cpu fan. i was grounded the whole time while messing with and now all the ports have stopped working and i have no clue why.

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Even if you're really carefully to avoid esd damage, you still have a relatively fragile MB that rest onto a few space holders. That means any physical force to MB is a big no-no.

Personally - when I have to change major components such as RAM and CPU, I rather use some minutes extra time to dismount and re-assemble the MB so that I can have the MB resting onto a table while working on it, so it doesn't bend too much.

Reactions: davew1860
May 21, 2019
Even if you're really carefully to avoid esd damage, you still have a relatively fragile MB that rest onto a few space holders. That means any physical force to MB is a big no-no.

Personally - when I have to change major components such as RAM and CPU, I rather use some minutes extra time to dismount and re-assemble the MB so that I can have the MB resting onto a table while working on it, so it doesn't bend too much.
i can say that i didn’t take my motherboard completely out, but i did make sure to not bend it while i was reinstalling it and putting in my fan in.

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Ok. I think that the logical conclusion here is that it must be a bad touch/move that have damaged the main board. Either that, or - as you mentioned in first post - the overheating may have caused damage.

Or - if a certain group of components on the mainboard is failing, maybe the power connector isn't properly placed or not connected at all.

davew1860

Proper
Feb 6, 2019
Does anything on your motherboard work anymore?

Definitely treat motherboards with kid gloves. I say this because one of my own motherboards mysteriously failed before. I can only speculate that it was due to mishandling.

May 21, 2019
Ok. I think that the logical conclusion here is that it must be a bad touch/move that have damaged the main board. Either that, or - as you mentioned in first post - the overheating may have caused damage.

Or - if a certain group of components on the mainboard is failing, maybe the power connector isn't properly placed or not connected at all.
well before i put the fan in all the ports minus two of the front ports were working. idk much about motherboards so you may be right.

May 21, 2019
Does anything on your motherboard work anymore?

Definitely treat motherboards with kid gloves. I say this because one of my own motherboards mysteriously failed before. I can only speculate that it was due to mishandling.
all the lighting and fans still work even my gpu fans are working. i can say that i was being gentle with it while working with it.

Reactions: davew1860
May 21, 2019
Are you seeing video?

Do you hear any beeps or see any flashing lights when you boot up?
no video from what i can tell it starts up totally fine no weird noises while booting up and nothing internally looks off. i can’t any sound either since the ports aren’t working.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS