[SOLVED] Why is it important to buy a high quality PSU?

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Hello,

I would like to know why it is important to buy a high quality PSU. If we are looking at Gigabyte PSUs, they are not bad and will successfully handle any average gaming pc, and that brings up the question why should I spend more money for a higher quality PSU like RM650x and Seasonic Focus Plus? What will it give me?

Thank you.

Solution
You buy a high quality PSU ,because it RUNS and PROTECTS your components. Why would you not want to protect your investment with a high quality power supply. Cheap or poorly designed ones can damage your components if they fail. Good ones have built in protections.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
You buy a high quality PSU ,because it RUNS and PROTECTS your components. Why would you not want to protect your investment with a high quality power supply. Cheap or poorly designed ones can damage your components if they fail. Good ones have built in protections.

Solution

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012

But even a mediocre/average PSU like Gigabyte B700H or Gigabyte G750H will runs and protects my components, and they are much cheaper. So why should I buy an expensive PSU like Corsair RMx / Seasonic Focus? Is there a good reason?

Thanks.

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
For the same reason you buy health insurance rather than lottery tickets.

Who says that health insurance should be expensive?
Gigabyte PSUs are cheap and fine for any average pc gaming, so I don't understand why people spend a lot of money on expensive PSUs when cheaper PSUs does the same job and handle a PC gaming fine.

Gigabyte PSUs are cheap and fine for any average pc gaming, so I don't understand why people spend a lot of money on expensive PSUs when cheaper PSUs does the same job and handle a PC gaming fine.

If you don't actually want an answer but just want to argue the answers the thread will be closed.

It's very simple, the better the power supply the more stable the system will be and the less chance the power supply will fail and/or damage other components. There is no arguing that fact. If you are happy with a higher chance of failure, then get whatever you want, no-one is forcing anyone to buy a high end PSU, it's just recommended if someone is paying a lot for other components. Would anyone with a brain tell someone to buy a $100-200 PSU for a cheap system, no, but if someone is spending $800 on a video card and $400 on a CPU then they should get a comparable quality power supply.

Just like anything in life, having a lower quality thing does not automatically mean it will fail or damage something, but there is a greater chance of that happening vs a better quality thing. This is the argument that smokers and people that drive drunk use, well I did it for years and nothing happened, so it's OK to keep doing it. And people that want to get a low quality power supply say "my computer starts and runs fine with what I have" using the same flawed logic. Just because it is running OK now, or was running OK for a year, does not mean it will keep running well in the future and has a greater chance of failing or damaging something in that future.

To keep it simple again, let's say whatever thing has a 20%, 10% 5% 1% chance to fail at some point. That is what you are picking when you look at different quality power supplies. You may say to yourself, I need to pay 200 for 1% but only 80 for 5%, that is not worth the extra cost to me, if someone is comfortable with that larger failure chance, there is no law that will stop them from buying what they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quanticriver
I still remember the look on my Dads face when one day many years ago(25?) he pushed the power button on his pc and there was a loud bang and a plume of smoke from the tower. The PSU died and took out the motherboard.

I don't remember the exact model of PSU but I know it was an Antec which came bundled with a case.
My old man was really pissed off lol

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I still remember the look on my Dads face when one day many years ago(25?) he pushed the power button on his pc and there was a loud bang and a plume of smoke from the tower. The PSU died and took out the motherboard.

I don't remember the exact model of PSU but I know it was an Antec which came bundled with a case.
My old man was really pissed off lol
And the fact of that matter is that it cost this individual time and even more money(hundreds or more).

This is the point being made between cheap and good power supplies.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

And what is your basis for them doing the same job and handling a PC gaming "fine?" Show your work. Hint: they don't.

Honestly, my guess is that you just don't want to spend on a quality PSU because a PSU isn't fun the way a better GPU or a CPU is. Screw the brakes; pimp my ride!

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
If you don't actually want an answer but just want to argue the answers the thread will be closed.

It's very simple, the better the power supply the more stable the system will be and the less chance the power supply will fail and/or damage other components. There is no arguing that fact. If you are happy with a higher chance of failure, then get whatever you want, no-one is forcing anyone to buy a high end PSU, it's just recommended if someone is paying a lot for other components. Would anyone with a brain tell someone to buy a $100-200 PSU for a cheap system, no, but if someone is spending $800 on a video card and $400 on a CPU then they should get a comparable quality power supply.

Just like anything in life, having a lower quality thing does not automatically mean it will fail or damage something, but there is a greater chance of that happening vs a better quality thing. This is the argument that smokers and people that drive drunk use, well I did it for years and nothing happened, so it's OK to keep doing it. And people that want to get a low quality power supply say "my computer starts and runs fine with what I have" using the same flawed logic. Just because it is running OK now, or was running OK for a year, does not mean it will keep running well in the future and has a greater chance of failing or damaging something in that future.

To keep it simple again, let's say whatever thing has a 20%, 10% 5% 1% chance to fail at some point. That is what you are picking when you look at different quality power supplies. You may say to yourself, I need to pay 200 for 1% but only 80 for 5%, that is not worth the extra cost to me, if someone is comfortable with that larger failure chance, there is no law that will stop them from buying what they want.

First, it was not my intention. I just was interested if it is worth to pay more for an expensive CPU. I appreciate your answers.

I opened this thread because I got two computers, one of them includes a 60$ PSU and the other one has a 100$ PSU. I didn’t notice any difference between the computers and it aroused my curiosity.

Thank you.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
First, it was not my intention. I just was interested if it is worth to pay more for an expensive CPU. I appreciate your answers.

I opened this thread because I got two computers, one of them includes a 60$ PSU and the other one has a 100$ PSU. I didn’t notice any difference between the computers and it aroused my curiosity.

Thank you.

It's not like a poor quality PSU will blow up soon as it's powered (some might lol) but more to do with internal wear and sustainability. The PSU's worth will show over time, be it sooner or later, ya just never know when/what it'll do eventually. Could even get lucky.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ever bought the cheap $2 flip-flops from a local Dollar store? How long do they last? One walk on the beach, one walk down a flight of stairs before the front toe-thong rips out and you trip? Can you ever trust that that toe-thong won't rip out at any given moment?

Then compare that to a decent pair of Adidas or Nike sandals. Built heavier, more durable, you can even run in them.

That's the difference. Trust. Materials. Usage.

Quality psus not only have the right protective circuitry, it's also set right, to meet ATX standards. Many cheaper models might have the circuitry, but use cheaper and less reliable components. A good quality OPP protection will shut down at @ 120% over-power, cheap units won't, may not shutdown until 140%+. Cheaper units say they have OCP, but on reaching amperage limits, keep on going, possibly causing irreparable damage. OVP? A psu is supposed to be 12v (11.9v-12.2v). What happens when a psu dumps out over 13v? Poor VRM's get cooked. Cheap units might not trip until 15v.

DCv is supposed to be a straight line voltage, semi-impossible to achieve when adapted from AC voltage, good units have seriously very little ripple, as straight as it can be. Cheap units have large ripple, bouncing voltages all over. Makes it hard to get cpus stable, puts undue stress and wear on gpus to maintain performance, fans bounce in speeds, kernal power issues under stress.

Cheap components. They say all Japanese caps, yet fail to mention that all Japanese caps are not equal, there are some that are serious quality, and some that aren't.

Fancy names, titles, rgb fans, modularity, claims. Bling. BS.

Spend $1500 on a really nice pc and power it with a cheaper built psu at your own risk.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
A $60,- psu can be perfectly fine,depends who makes it and what components inside. Like the Corsair CX 450/550watt psu's right now,but if it is 900watts from a not very known brand you gotta ask yourself if it is a smart move.

Thank you.

There is no difference between the computers, when they are working. It's like having a $1000 watch or a $40 copy knock-off of that watch, both will give you the time, but the knock-off watch won't be made of as good materials, likely won't last as long and for sure won't have the feel, resale or desirability of the real thing. Did you expect one of them to be faster because of the power supply or something? As long as the PSU is good enough to do what it needs to, it will run the computer the same way as one made with more care and premium parts. It just has to be of good quality.