Question Why is my 3060ti running so bad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 2022
GPU:
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X 8G OCV1 LHR
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen - RYZEN 7 3700X Matisse (Zen 2) 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor
PSU:
Rosewill PMG Series, PMG1200, 1200W Fully Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Low Noise, Single +12V Rail, SLI & CrossFire Ready, Black
MMO:
ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (Wi-Fi) AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen) Micro ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS FlashBack, HDMI 2.1, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and AURA Sync)
RAM:
(theres 4 sticks all clocked at 3200) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

I just upgraded from a 600w psu and a 2060 rtx and the performance I am getting is worse than before I upgraded, gta 5 at 1080p high settings runs like dog water, days gone is at an unplayable 28 fps, Ghost runner works "good" only a quarter of the time. I already used DDU to make sure I dont have conflicting drivers for my gpu and I cant make DOCP work without my MMO giving me the four beeps of death.
also even running Firefox my gpu usage in task manager shows it fluctuating between 20% to 99% usage.

Please help me before I throw my entire PC into the ocean.

Oct 16, 2022
A clean install via external medium would be my recommendation when experiencing issues, it's always better since it makes sure that everything, including registry entries and especially pervasive malware, is truly gone. But you should wait a bit and see what others say first. I'm by no means an expert and someone else might know more about your issues.
Hey I apperciate any tips I can get though. I am also waiting to see if this is just a recent NVIDIA bug before I do anything too hardcore. I don't wanna have to reformat twice on the same day lol

DavidM012

Distinguished
You have 2 ram kits of 2 x 8gb & you say XMP/D.O.C.P. doesn't work. I'm not sherlock holmes but it sounds like you took out 2 ram sticks, didn't enable xmp/docp with only 2 dimms installed because you can't find it then ran windows without d.o.c.p and 16gb of ram and then you said your fps was lower.

Try XMP/D.o.c.p with only 1 kit installed, if you can find it. I'm shutting down for some maintenance. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find and enable xmp/d.o.c.p. with only 16gb from 1 kit installed which only you know which one is which so they don't get swizzled up.

Oct 16, 2022
You have 2 ram kits of 2 x 8gb & you say XMP/D.O.C.P. doesn't work. I'm not sherlock holmes but it sounds like you took out 2 ram sticks, didn't enable xmp/docp with only 2 dimms installed because you can't find it then ran windows without d.o.c.p and 16gb of ram and then you said your fps was lower.

Try XMP/D.o.c.p with only 1 kit installed, if you can find it. I'm shutting down for some maintenance. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find and enable xmp/d.o.c.p. with only 16gb from 1 kit installed which only you know which one is which so they don't get swizzled up.
well i took out one kit and already tried docp, but I'll go ahead and try it again i guess. Thanks for the response.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Try shutting down, switching off the mains, press power button a couple of times, clear cmos. I checked the memory support list: Page 10

G.SKILLF4-3200C16D-8GVKB2x 4GB32003200SSSK Hynix16-18-18-381.351,2,4

You have Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

Can you post a screenie of the SPD tab of CPU-z

This is the kit on G.Skill

Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 16GB (2x8GB)

Well idk how strictly exact the memory support list is supposed to be. Off by 1 model variant seems rather extremely fussily exacting.

However there are several Trident Z Neo 3200mhz kits on the list. I was thinking that maybe it's because you have Ripjaws V instead of Trident Z. All over 1 model number. But you also have 2 kits of 2x8 rather than 1 kit of 4x8.

Should it work? Is it supposed to work? But it doesn't.

Reactions: DMTee
Oct 16, 2022

So there was a couple of different adjustments I had to make to actually enable DOCP, and after messing around with a few different settings it finally worked ( funny every tutorial makes it look as easy as just switching it over)

DavidM012

Distinguished
Oh you have to type g.skill in the search box of the memory support list to filter it down a bit. Then it's page 10.

Otherwise all the 32gb kits of cas 16 seem to be 2x16 rather than 4x 8 while the 4x8 32gb kits are all cas 14 - all different models.

So strictly speaking I think Ripjaws V 4x 8gb is non-compliant to the memory support list.

Oct 16, 2022
Try shutting down, switching off the mains, press power button a couple of times, clear cmos. I checked the memory support list: Page 10

G.SKILLF4-3200C16D-8GVKB2x 4GB32003200SSSK Hynix16-18-18-381.351,2,4

You have Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

Can you post a screenie of the SPD tab of CPU-z

This is the kit on G.Skill

Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 16GB (2x8GB)

Well idk how strictly exact the memory support list is supposed to be. Off by 1 model variant seems rather extremely fussily exacting.

However there are several Trident Z Neo 3200mhz kits on the list. I was thinking that maybe it's because you have Ripjaws V instead of Trident Z. All over 1 model number. But you also have 2 kits of 2x8 rather than 1 kit of 4x8.

Should it work? Is it supposed to work? But it doesn't.
View: https://imgur.com/a/xzKPfgF

here is the SPD tab

Oct 16, 2022
After reformatting completely and taking another bench mark test, these are today's results https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55952299
Haven't tried bench marking any games yet but it still appears my background CPU/GPU usage is high, when initially opening task manager it shows CPU at 44% and GPU at 79% then it goes back down to some more preferable numbers.

I'm thinking about potentially just getting a different set of ram since it appears to be a potential culprit. I'm on my way to go send one of the kits back to new egg so ill be out for awhile, if anyone has ANY sort of advice on lowering CPU or GPU usage ( or even just have criticism about my specs ) please feel free to post them here, I'd appreciate any help I can get and I thank all of you who have left a reply already.
💝

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Download and run Gpu-Z from TechPowerUp.
Next to Bus Interface, click on the "?". A new window should pop up inquiring about a render test. Post what the Bus Interface is at while the test is running.
Ex: PCIe x16 3.0 @x16 3.0

Some boards reduce slow bandwidth speed to save power when it isn't in use. The render test should 'wake it up' if the board has such a function.

Oct 16, 2022
Download and run Gpu-Z from TechPowerUp.
Next to Bus Interface, click on the "?". A new window should pop up inquiring about a render test. Post what the Bus Interface is at while the test is running.
Ex: PCIe x16 3.0 @x16 3.0

Some boards reduce slow bandwidth speed to save power when it isn't in use. The render test should 'wake it up' if the board has such a function.
Bus interface reads at PCIe x 16 4.0 @ x 16 4.0

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah. I'm not convinced that there isn't a malicious program involved. There's been no proof anything's wrong with the gpu, just something else is using it when you want to.
The card isn't bandwidth starved.
Video playback uses a minute amount of gpu resources - single digit %.
No mention of any thermal issues.

Prepare for a full nuke of all drives...
I'm out of ideas after that.

Oct 16, 2022
Yeah. I'm not convinced that there isn't a malicious program involved. There's been no proof anything's wrong with the gpu, just something else is using it when you want to.
The card isn't bandwidth starved.
Video playback uses a minute amount of gpu resources - single digit %.
No mention of any thermal issues.

Prepare for a full nuke of all drives...
I'm out of ideas after that.

So you believe all devices are working correctly and there shouldn't be any compatibility issues? Like it should all be working fine but there just might be some malicious program making it run like absolute garbage juice?

DavidM012

Distinguished
All day trying to recover me windows soz well anyway I see a couple of problems from user benchmark - where's your nvme drive? You're still using sata 3 drives. Could be a bottleneck.

And your ram isn't strictly qvl compliant although it's close. If it's still possible is there a way you could switch them for some trident z? - have another look on the memory support list for exactly compatible modules. Remember to type g.skill in the search bar and press the search button. And you have 2x2 8gb kits that are mismatched. Rather than 1x4x8gb, or 2x16gb. And it's hynix rather than samsung b.

Well sorry to say that your rig simply doesn't look fine tuned though it only needs a couple of tweaks, the memory and maybe an nvme drive, while 32gb of mem isn't so cheap'n'easy switch.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So you believe all devices are working correctly and there shouldn't be any compatibility issues? Like it should all be working fine but there just might be some malicious program making it run like absolute garbage juice?
I believe your gpu is working correctly, but you're not the only one trying to use it, so of course it's performance is going to be lackluster in a game.
As for the other devices, nothing else really pops out at me - except for the off and on moderately high background usage; I've noticed that one lap will be fine, another will not be fine, and it's repeated like that.

Oct 16, 2022
All day trying to recover me windows soz well anyway I see a couple of problems from user benchmark - where's your nvme drive? You're still using sata 3 drives. Could be a bottleneck.

And your ram isn't strictly qvl compliant although it's close. If it's still possible is there a way you could switch them for some trident z? - have another look on the memory support list for exactly compatible modules. Remember to type g.skill in the search bar and press the search button. And you have 2x2 8gb kits that are mismatched. Rather than 1x4x8gb, or 2x16gb. And it's hynix rather than samsung b.

Well sorry to say that your rig simply doesn't look fine tuned though it only needs a couple of tweaks, the memory and maybe an nvme drive, while 32gb of mem isn't so cheap'n'easy switch.
don't have an nvme drive, also currently looking for a compatible kit of ram on the link you sent, thanks for the help again. I guess I have a couple more items to add to my shopping list lol

Oct 16, 2022

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861?Item=9SIB5HRJJR7604

this is the ram I am thinking of ordering, currently window shopping for a compatible NVME drive

DavidM012

Distinguished
G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC 2x 16GB 3600 3600 DS SK Hynix 16-19-19-39 1.35 1,2

Yeah it's there.

Well you've already got lots of storage so you could just get a 250gb to boot windows, tho 500gb and 1tb versions of say, the samsung 980pro are more durable than the 250gb version. Well apparently the 500gb version is 2x as durable as the 250gb version and the 1tb version is 2x as durable as the 500gb version. Gaming NVME review the samsung 980pro is the most power efficient whilst the wd_black is fasterer.

Oct 16, 2022

Yeah it's there.

Well you've already got lots of storage so you could just get a 250gb to boot windows, tho 500gb and 1tb versions of say, the samsung 980pro are more durable than the 250gb version. Well apparently the 500gb version is 2x as durable as the 250gb version and the 1tb version is 2x as durable as the 500gb version. Gaming NVME review the samsung 980pro is the most power efficient whilst the wd_black is fasterer.
So i just did a clean restart, all drives are cleared except for my 250gb SSD for windows, and unfortunately the same exact problem is occurring. I'm at the point where I know malware isn't the issue, so it must be hardware. I believe you are partially right David and I think a new set of compatible ram and maybe a NVME are needed. if that doesn't fix the issue I'm in deep sh*t.
Do any of you believe the PSU could be the issue? or even the MMO? I already cleared the Cache and I'm thinking this is a solid hardware issue. (Also its known Nividias current driver update has an issue with overloading the GPU with high usuage.)

Oct 16, 2022

Yeah it's there.

https://www.newegg.com/xpg-sx6000-pro-1tb/p/N82E16820215190?Item=9SIAZF8FSH0986
this is the m.2 i ordered btw, and i checked if it's compatible already. Go big or go home baby i got a 1tb NVME

Oct 16, 2022
I don't get why replacing your Gskill ram is a good idea? They don't test every kit of ram on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work. If there was a problem with it you would likely be getting BSOD
I'm trying anything here at this point bud lol. If you have a good idea or tip then it is welcomed. I am determined to make this run at its expected peek performance. (just dont tell me to take it into a shop)