[SOLVED] Why is my computer slower with better parts?

Sep 16, 2018
Hello,

My old build
Dell Desktop Model: Inspiron 3847
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
GPU: Geforece GTX 1060
Storage: WD Blue Desktop HDD SATA / 64MB CACHE WD10EZEX
Motherboard: Dell 088DT1
Ram: 2 8GB DDR3
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 650W

My new build

After upgrading to basically a whole new computer I found that my performance in game was less than before. For example, Dead by Daylight ran at 55-60 fps on full settings. I now only get around 40 fps on full settings in the game.

This doesn't seem to add up since I have newer parts now that are supposed to be faster. Is there something I'm missing here?

Solution
The difference between one stick and two averages about 5%-10% so that's an issue but not a cause of a 30% drop like you are seeing. Here's a good example of one vs two across multiple games:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsabLhyb1RI

After you installed Windows and let it get fully patched, did you get ALL of the motherboard drivers (chipset, LAN, SATA, network, audio) from the manufacturer's site and the latest nVidia driver (would install ONLY the graphics and PhysX driver - not GF Experience or any of the others). Might try using DDU in safe mode to uninstall the current GPU driver and try again.

Also might try reseating the GPU and the PCIe power cable(s) to ensure good contact...

Lutfij

Titan
You should've gone with a Z370/Z390 chipsetted board, DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit and a different, more beefy cooler. Did you clone your old OS install onto the SSD or was it a clean install on your M.2 drive using a recreated bootable installer with Windows Media Creation Tools?

Sep 16, 2018
You should've gone with a Z370/Z390 chipsetted board, DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit and a different, more beefy cooler. Did you clone your old OS install onto the SSD or was it a clean install on your M.2 drive using a recreated bootable installer with Windows Media Creation Tools?
Thanks for replying :)
I got a bootable cd and got my Windows 10 from that. I read online that DDR4-2666 memory was the max for my cpu, that isnt true?

Mar 5, 2019
Thanks for replying :)
I got a bootable cd and got my Windows 10 from that. I read online that DDR4-2666 memory was the max for my cpu, that isnt true?
I'm sure your ram speed at 2666mhz shouldn't cause too much of a problem, the problem is that you only have 1 stick of ram, namely 1x16GB, you could have gotten two 8GB sticks of ram to increase the performance dramatically, or of course you could add another 16GB stick for 32GB ram overall. That should be your main problem with performance, how are the thermals?

The difference between one stick and two averages about 5%-10% so that's an issue but not a cause of a 30% drop like you are seeing. Here's a good example of one vs two across multiple games:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsabLhyb1RI

After you installed Windows and let it get fully patched, did you get ALL of the motherboard drivers (chipset, LAN, SATA, network, audio) from the manufacturer's site and the latest nVidia driver (would install ONLY the graphics and PhysX driver - not GF Experience or any of the others). Might try using DDU in safe mode to uninstall the current GPU driver and try again.

Also might try reseating the GPU and the PCIe power cable(s) to ensure good contact.

Being able to OC would have been nice but even that cooler should be able to support a single or dual thread 4.7GHz turbo. Do watch your temperatures tho and see if you are throttling.

Solution
Sep 16, 2018
I'm sure your ram speed at 2666mhz shouldn't cause too much of a problem, the problem is that you only have 1 stick of ram, namely 1x16GB, you could have gotten two 8GB sticks of ram to increase the performance dramatically, or of course you could add another 16GB stick for 32GB ram overall. That should be your main problem with performance, how are the thermals?
I'm getting about 70c on both the cpu and gpu