Question Why is my CPU at 50% usage and GPU at only 11% usage when I'm getting 100-150 FPS ?

May 24, 2024
i play mostly valorant and games like elden ring , dying light, kingdom come deliverence but when i play valorant my cpu usage is 50-55 and gpu 11-20 when im getting 100-150 fps
i dont know why can somebody explain or tell me how to fix?
my cpu: ryzen 5 1600
my gpu: rtx 3060
ram: 16gb ddr4
motherbard:

ASUS PRIME A320M-K/CSM - AMD A320​

psu: im not sure but it says 200-240v and 50-60 hertz on it​

Drives:​

SSD: 112GB used of 118GB​

HDD: 1.5TB used of 3TB​

the problem is that when theres more stuff going on ingame i get 80-90 fps and usage is still 50 percent and its just annoying. I don't use any recording stuff and only thing on is discord​

ps: coudnt find the models for psu or ssd, can't check it in pc either for some reason.​

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Are there any specific problems with game play when the CPU and GPU usage is low? Likewise for FPS.

Reactions: paja123
May 24, 2024
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Are there any specific problems with game play when the CPU and GPU usage is low? Likewise for FPS.
i updated the post

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"SSD: 112GB used of 118GB"​

Per @Vic 40 (Post #4) is that SSD the boot drive?

95% full - should be limited to 70-80% full. Plus the SSD (if indeed the boot drive) is too small. Minimum now being 250 GB for OS. What version of Windows?

= = = =

Is there any difference if Discord is not running?

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Feb 2, 2024
The CPU is only a budget cpu and is too old and slow, its from 2017 from what I can tell and it's only 3.2-3.6GHz (from what I can tell) while that GPU is a very modern unit designed for much newer games.
If your playing at 1080p then the situation really becomes very obvious. As far as 1080p goes that is a very fast GPU. This is a problem for those who want blistering frame rates as they don't understand that the main parts of the system have to be balanced.
That frame rate drop sounds like the CPU is simply too slow, make sure your looking at the CPU core utilization %. That 50% could be misleading as it might be weighted against the whole total of cores when in fact the game might only be using say 3cores and those 3 cores are severely slow (not enough GHz).

Also make sure the SSD is not bottlenecking anything, the way some games work they require constant reading from it. They say SATA SSD is fast enough, but it's not, you need nvme gen 3-4.

I have not seen any evidence that SSDs run slower when full, my Samsung 2.5" drives on my older system all run very fast when literally full, but who knows.

You have a 12 thread processor.
Games will only use a few of them.
Much of the work is done by the single master thread.
The cpu utilization is for ALL of the threads.

If the C drive nears full, the performance impact can be very painful.
Simple things like boot up will need to write stuff to the ssd.
If there are no free nand blocks, the ssd must work to make room.

When running, start task manager and look at the performance tab and the cpu section.
Right click on the graph and select logical processor view.
You will get some idea of what is going on.

And, I could be wrong, but I suspect that discord things it should be the highest priority task, not your game.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024
This:

"SSD: 112GB used of 118GB"

Per @Vic 40 (Post #4) is that SSD the boot drive?

95% full - should be limited to 70-80% full. Plus the SSD (if indeed the boot drive) is too small. Minimum now being 250 GB for OS. What version of Windows?

= = = =

Is there any difference if Discord is not running?
no diference windows 10
so is psu not the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Just to ensure that I understand:

No difference with or without Discord - correct?

Running Windows 10 - correct?

This:

"coudnt find the models for psu or ssd, can't check it in pc either for some reason."

What is preventing checking the PC?

The PSU is a critical component and if there an underpowered and/or low quality PSU installed then that eventually leads to problems sooner or later. Knowing more about the PSU will be helpful.

As for the drives: open Disk Management, expand the window so all can be seen, Take a screenshot and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).