[SOLVED] Why is my CPU idling at around 55-60°C?

Apr 24, 2020
Ryzen 7 3700X
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Ultra
NZXT Kraken x62
16 GB Trident Z RBG 3600 mhz
Sapphire Nitro+ Rx 5700 XT
Inland performance 1TB ssd

Solution
That cooler shouldn't have any issue with high 60's/low 70's at best with that cpu.

So something is quite out of whack. You'll need to physically verify everything you did, lije making sure you removed the plastic safety film from the pump base, the pump is pretty solidly mounted,, all cables are installed correctly, check Cam, see if you get readouts on pump and fans. Everything from the start.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well to start its a Ryzen and you are thinking about Intel temps. At idle, intel only drops clocks and voltages on All cores, but All cores remain active. Then any idle background tasks are split up into all the cores, so you see low loads and low temps.

With Ryzen at idle, it shuts down all of the cores except 1. So the entire background list is on 1 core, which has a higher load and therefore higher temps. On One core.

You are used to Intel temps of the whole cpu at temp, it isn't, its just 1 core.

Take the cpu off Performance power plan, should be on Balanced.

You can set the X63 for silent mode and forget it exists. You do have CAM software? and Ryzen Master?

Apr 24, 2020
I have the CAM software and Ryzen Master installed. The real issue is actually when I try to stress test my CPU. It instantly shoots up to 95°C and then crashes soon after. This is tested on Cinebench R20.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That cooler shouldn't have any issue with high 60's/low 70's at best with that cpu.

So something is quite out of whack. You'll need to physically verify everything you did, lije making sure you removed the plastic safety film from the pump base, the pump is pretty solidly mounted,, all cables are installed correctly, check Cam, see if you get readouts on pump and fans. Everything from the start.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution