Question Why is my CPU Max clock speed all the time ?

Feb 21, 2020
I've tried lots of options such as battery options. I have reinstalled windows and all my games but the CPU still hits 100% when playing games. I went in the bios and did not understand much so I didn't touch anything.

- I checked for viruses with McAfee

Feb 21, 2020
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
16.0 GB corsair Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Two ultra-wide LG monitors at 60 FPS
normally achieve like 200 and now the game crashes every time I open it as the CPU maxes at 100%

OK power is normally not an issue, have you checked your Task Manager to see what is using the CPU, I would run just wow with the TM on and see if it is really the game that is doing the harm. It is a good gaming CPU and should be able to handle wow easy enough....

Feb 21, 2020
I have and the task manager says that the game is extremely high power usage
even now when having two browsers open and the task manager open
chrome is using 5-15% of the CPU whereas it used to hit 5 as a max

Feb 21, 2020
DO NOT insult people trying to help you.
What kind of logic is that
Ive been playing games for a while now and this has never happened before
MOD EDIT: personal attack removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that ALL 6 cores are at 100% or just the primary core for wow?

WoW only needs 1 core to operate properly unless you've got some setting changed. Go into the task manager and under the "details" tab, find the WoW application, and then set affinity to either 1 or 2, depending on if you want 1 or 2 cores allocated to it. Or if you have hyperthreading, multiply those values by x2. So 2 cores is 1 core, and 4 cores is 2 cores.

Reactions: Roman Karimi
so the PC Automatically does it without telling you that its changed the bios.👏👏👏👏
i5-9400F base frequency is 2.90 GHz, turbo boost frequency is 4.10 GHz.

When cpu load requires it, it will automatically overclock up to 4.1Ghz. Those are default settings in BIOS.
That's, how it works.

Here - some links. Please educate yourself.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-9400f-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html