Why is my CPU randomly running at 100% usage???

zacw815

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Hey guys so for some reason my CPU just started randomly running at 100% usage...I turned my computer on from sleep from the night before and it just started doing it...IDK WTF is going on. and its just the CPU the memory and everything is fine its just the cpu. I am running Windows 10 and my CPU is a i7 3770 so it is quite old but that wouldnt explain this. TEMPS are at 57-59 across all four cores.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I've had the same happen to me several times before. Usually this is due to a process using your cpu up. You should go to the Task Manager, then on the bottom left click on Detail, then click on the CPU column so it shows you what's using your cpu the most.

Once you find that out, right click that process and on the drop down menu, click on Go To Details and then if you can't finalize that process, find out using google what it is and why it's using your cpu so much.

Good Luck and let us know what happens!

PS: Post a picture of your Task Manager showing your processes, especially the culprit.

jr9

Estimable
To add to that if you cannot find processes in task manager using up CPU yet still have high CPU usage that is generally caused by malware. Some malware can hide itself from Task Manager.

If you are seeing svchost taking up CPU resources then Resource Monitor can tell you specifically which Windows Service is behind this.