Question Why is my CPU running at max frequency when idle?

Sep 10, 2019
Hello all,

I’m new to PC and just built my first PC with the help of some friends a few days ago. I was super excited to finally be using it when I noticed the fans get pretty load and ramp up with me doing much. The PC would be idling and the fans would ebb and flow on ramp up. It would also do this when I’m on a browser just doing some stuff but it gets really loud when I fire up a game like Overwatch. I’m concerned about what’s going on with the processor running at max while idle or doing anything and the fan volume as well.
Here’s my build:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor

NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid Cooler

Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4-3600 Ram

Samsung 970 Evo 500gb SSD

Asus GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8gb GPU

EVGA Supernova G3 750w 80+ Gold Certified PSU

NZXT H510 Elite with two additional NZXT Aer 2 RGB fans

IDLE

CPU Load: 4% - 7%

CPU Temp: 40-50 degrees Celsius

CPU ClockSpeed: 4000-4200mghz

GPU Load: 0% - 5%

GPU Temp: 40-50 degrees Celsius

GPU ClockSpeed: 300mhz

Ram Load: 20%

Figured I’d list everything on here to help as much as possible. I’ve updated the BIOS to the latest version (I believe it’s v.1005 for Asus TUF X570-Plus), Set things to normal in Bios, and as per what I read set advanced power options to minimum 85% maximum 100%. I’m running NZXT cam software to monitor things but I also have Asus GPU tweak to monitor GPU. As last thing to mention, I’ve been monitor usage in Task Manager and the the most used the PC got is when I’m in Explorer which is not much at all.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Like I said I’m new to PCs and would love some help. Thank you in advance.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Actually you should update your chipset drivers to the newest version from the AMD website (Google X570 chipset drivers). Then use the updated Ryzen Balanced Power Plan it includes.
As CountMike said, set the Minimum Processor State to 5-10%, that will allow your CPU to down clock when idle.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
I agree with getting the latest AMD chipset drivers which includes Ryzen power plans, then run the Ryzen Balanced. You can lower the processor minimum to 5% (in Ryzen Balanced) if you want but on my system it makes no difference IF I have Steam running.

For some perverse reason Steam running in the tray, even with no games loaded, will peg processor voltage at max and CPU clocks on all cores at 4.2-4.25Ghz. There are a few others that do it, like the Origin launcher and Heaven or Valley even if not running the demo, but it's Steam that's most annoying.

Many people leave Steam running and even load it up with Windows so they just take it for granted. Makes me wonder if that's the reason so many get boosting that's 200- 300Mhz short of max boost.

At any rate, make sure there are no utilities running in the tray cause they may be doing that to your processor.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Reactions: yo_itsBAGZ
Sep 10, 2019
No I’ll be doing that when I get home and post an update on here afterwards
Did you install the AMD X570 Chipset Drivers ???
https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amd_chipset_drivers_v1.8.19.0915.zip
If not then the Ryzen Balanced Plan will NOT be installed, just the regular Windows balanced Plan which is NOT as good for a 3000 Series CPU.

So I updated the AMD chipset driver and updated my AIO firmware but still running at max clock speed. I've gone into the power settings and changed the minimum back to 5% maximum back to 100% on Ryzen balanced but still getting 45-55 degrees temp and CU speed at approximately around 4200mhz.

Sep 10, 2019
So I updated the AMD chipset driver and updated my AIO firmware but still running at max clock speed. I've gone into the power settings and changed the minimum back to 5% maximum back to 100% on Ryzen balanced but still getting 45-55 degrees temp and CU speed at approximately around 4200mhz.

I did however find that LightingServices 32bit is runningvery high power usage and cpu usage at 7-8%. I feel the power usage is normal given ive got 4 rgb fans running on silent mode, rgb ring on AIO, as well as two AIO fans.

Still doesn't explain why the high CPU usage after chipset update

Diddly

Distinguished
How do I know it’s on Ryzen? Where do I look. When I go into power options on Windows 10, it’s defaulted to balanced already.

you should see alternative power plans like "Ryzen" listed below the other ones. If AMD have updated their drivers and properly optimised them then select "ryzen" - for me the ryzen power plan never went to a proper idle: windows power plan = 2.2GHz idle, Ryzen power plan = 3GHz idle.

Reactions: yo_itsBAGZ
I did however find that LightingServices 32bit is runningvery high power usage and cpu usage at 7-8%. I feel the power usage is normal given ive got 4 rgb fans running on silent mode, rgb ring on AIO, as well as two AIO fans.

Still doesn't explain why the high CPU usage after chipset update

Not sure what 'LightingServices' is, but it sounds a bit like iCue which is noted for making Ryzen 3000 appear to be at maximum voltage and elevated clocks. You might try disabling or un-installing it if you can just to see what it does.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Not sure what 'LightingServices' is, but it sounds a bit like iCue which is noted for making Ryzen 3000 appear to be at maximum voltage and elevated clocks. You might try disabling or un-installing it if you can just to see what it does.
LightingService is a part of Asus Aura.
And I agree he should disable it or stop it in task manager after Windows loads or set it to a static color.
I use it but I set my RGBs to a static color (or Rainbow Or Breathing Or Color Cycle) so it sits at 0% usage in Task Manager.
Any of the other color modes can cause LightingService (and Asus COM Service) to use quite a bit more of the CPU.
View: https://imgur.com/WPyxQFP

I have also seen posts stating that the Steam client causes Ryzen 3000's to Boost a lot as well.
So if that is running all the time it should be stopped and only opened when you are actually going to use it.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019
LightingService is a part of Asus Aura.
And I agree he should disable it or stop it in task manager after Windows loads or set it to a static color.
I use it but I set my RGBs to a static color (or Rainbow Or Breathing Or Color Cycle) so it sits at 0% usage in Task Manager.
Any of the other color modes can cause LightingService (and Asus COM Service) to use quite a bit more of the CPU.
View: https://imgur.com/WPyxQFP

I have also seen posts stating that the Steam client causes Ryzen 3000's to Boost a lot as well.
So if that is running all the time it should be stopped and only opened when you are actually going to use it.
I manually stopped Lighting services and the clock speed immediately dropped down. So that was definitely the big culprit. I’m now hovering around 3300-3500mhz. I however can’t for the life of me find in the system how to turn off Asus Aura. Got any tips. Thank you btw for the above tip.

Reactions: DMAN999