[SOLVED] Why is my CPU usage SO high but my GPU is so low? (i7-7700K)?

Mar 31, 2020
I've recently noticed that my CPU usage is quite high. I'm very surprised since my CPU is very good, and I've seen people stay in the 30's to 40's range.

To try and fix this problem, I reset Windows, updated the BIOS and changed PCI-E to GEN3.

Whilst doing these things helped quite a lot with frames, in graphic intensive situations, my CPU usage hits 80%.

zcB2fjq.jpg

Here are my system specs:

View: https://imgur.com/a/4ZKBSHh

My cooler is a Corsair H100X Liquid Cooler, so I'm not sure why temps are so high, either.

My setup (just so you can get a good look at the fan config):

View: https://imgur.com/a/AL5kZu4

I hope you guys can help :)

Solution
vrms are sometimes designed this way to run hot imo ignore it for now. You're cpu temp look's ok, it can run cooler with some voltage optimization but eh 65°C while gaming and 75% utilized is ok. If you have a few tabs of chrome open and some other stuff and start gaming yea you're cpu needs to work, hence high utilized.

Look at what background program's you are running . Open task manger and look at how much programs are utilizing you're cpu, this should give a good indication what is causing this.
u can add some graphic details or increase resolution, that should reduce your fps and cpu usage will drop
u can also limit fps to your refresh rate through some 3rd party app like riva tuner

btw that mainboard temperature is bug or is that real deal?
but since u have such cheap mainboard without even vrm cooling and running 7700k on it, i guess u get bottleneck from here
vrm heatsink is highly adviced

another bottleneck i can see is single channel ram, if u use low amount of cores (some old game with low cpu usage), it shouldnt really matter, but with game runnning on high cpu usage, single channel will bottleneck cpu by alot

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020
u can add some graphic details or increase resolution, that should reduce your fps and cpu usage will drop
u can also limit fps to your refresh rate through some 3rd party app like riva tuner

btw that mainboard temperature is bug or is that real deal?
but since u have such cheap mainboard without even vrm cooling and running 7700k on it, i guess u get bottleneck from here
vrm heatsink is highly adviced

another bottleneck i can see is single channel ram, if u use low amount of cores (some old game with low cpu usage), it shouldnt really matter, but with game runnning on high cpu usage, single channel will bottleneck cpu by alot
That is a bug, thankfully. I have 2 old sticks of ram, however, they're DDR3 (8X2). Should I use them?

Apr 9, 2020
vrms are sometimes designed this way to run hot imo ignore it for now. You're cpu temp look's ok, it can run cooler with some voltage optimization but eh 65°C while gaming and 75% utilized is ok. If you have a few tabs of chrome open and some other stuff and start gaming yea you're cpu needs to work, hence high utilized.

Look at what background program's you are running . Open task manger and look at how much programs are utilizing you're cpu, this should give a good indication what is causing this.

Solution
Mar 31, 2020

Okay thanks. It’s really weird, in Call of Duty Warzone, the CPU and GPU usage are literally identical.