Question Why is my CPU Utilization so low in Ghost Recon Wildlands?

Aug 11, 2024
ySlin0y.png

Solution
Your 7800X3d has 16 processing threads.
If your app was single threaded and 100% utilized the total cpu utilization would be about 6% (1/16)
When running a game, there will be time to present graphics, and this time is not necessarily overlapped.
It is not a simple equation.

As a simple test, run the cpu-Z bench test.
You should see a single thread performance rating of about 654:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/rq37t7
Aug 11, 2024
MOBO: MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
BIOS: 7D75v1J

No issues w/ frame rates or low CPU utilization in other games.
I started to monitor CPU utiliation in this game during gameplay and it seems normal. It's around 30-40% when traversing the open-world. I assume that's sensible for a 2017 title.

I suspect the benchmark just doesn't put much work onto the CPU. There are no NPCs in the benchmark and it's just the camera looking around the environment with a couple explosions at the end.

Someone told me that I bottlenecked my 4070 ti super with my 7800x3d and posted a link to a bottleneck-calculator, but a little bit of research showed me those calculators aren't reliable.

If your app was single threaded and 100% utilized the total cpu utilization would be about 6% (1/16)
When running a game, there will be time to present graphics, and this time is not necessarily overlapped.

Reactions: carn
Solution
Aug 11, 2024

Thank you for explaining (and the others who helped)! I didn't realize the benchmark was just measuring one thread, but it makes sense.

Even with my prior 8700K CPU, I averaged at most 30% CPU usage in GRW, and it dipped as low as 20%. And that CPU as you may know has only 6 threads.

GRW is one of my faves of the past 10 years. I liked it so much I took 3 months and made a 114 video walkthrough of it on Extreme with no HUD or upgrades. I had beaten it on Tier One, but it felt too arcade having to use magic skills to compensate for the AI's superhuman abilities. I started and finished each mission at a safehouse, and still averaged under 10 min a mission. It was also actually fun finding a way to get to a heli to steal on missions that took a fair bit of travel.

Too bad Ubi pulled back when complaints of misrepresenting Bolivia came to light, and now they are a mere shell of what they used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHB6vX_n-5BOwb6B4izux5HjNAf0YFt00

Last edited:
Reactions: carn
I actually need to join a 12 step group over Division 2, lol.
I tried The Division on a Ubi free trial, and then got suckered into getting it and the survival DLC for $12, but I didn't like it at all. I found I wasn't comfortable with a tactical shooter that uses magic gear that takes forever to build a set of, which is why so many cave and just tag along with those whom literally give it to them. Not cool at all, there are better games to spend my time/money on.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To each their own, of course. I like D2 FAR better than D1. I don't worry too much about the "sets" and I don't do much of the custom build stuff or the clothing and all that jazz. Where it comes to D2 I don't do multi player and generally stay out of the Dark Zone areas. I am not quick enough anymore to deal with live players in too many games.

To each their own, of course. I like D2 FAR better than D1. I don't worry too much about the "sets" and I don't do much of the custom build stuff or the clothing and all that jazz. Where it comes to D2 I don't do multi player and generally stay out of the Dark Zone areas. I am not quick enough anymore to deal with live players in too many games.
Yeah I heard D2 got needed improvements, I just felt like they should have fixed some of the problems with D1. Like certain missions not being possible, even after numerous times going back to the same place where they're supposed to happen. I didn't do any MP either, and only now and then went into the Dark Zones. Just seemed like a game they feigned as being fun both solo and MP, when in fact they really only catered to MP.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah I heard D2 got needed improvements, I just felt like they should have fixed some of the problems with D1. Like certain missions not being possible, even after numerous times going back to the same place where they're supposed to happen. I didn't do any MP either, and only now and then went into the Dark Zones. Just seemed like a game they feigned as being fun both solo and MP, when in fact they really only catered to MP.

My favorite aspect is the value this game has been in light of the frequent and recent missions being added. I also like that many of the missions such as inside the hotel and whatnot would slightly change on updates things like which door you could go through and so on.