[SOLVED] Why is my game FPS lagging so much on my TV and not my monitor?

Pixeldrum

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
So, I have not the best setup in the world, but still ok enough to play most games at mid - high quality settings (intel i7 8700, nvidia 1060 3gb, 16 GB RAM, running on SSD)

I, like to play with my controller on singleplayer games that were ported to PC on my TV
The specific game I am having problems with is Hellblade Senua's sacrifice when playing on my TV

I go start the game and play a bit -- realize it's a bit laggy. Alright, that's fine. Lowered graphics down from high to low. Now I'm running smoothly, 60 FPS.
But graphics are pretty bad. High graphics caused me to play at around a consistent 15-30 FPS. Not ideal.
An hour into my playthrough, I switch to my monitor to see why I am having problems, because the graphics are pissing me off. All I did was switch to my monitor, and everything becomes clear and smooth. Switched to high settings, 60 consisent FPS.
My question is: why? My monitor can run the game perfectly fine at high, but when I switch over to my TV, it can only run on low, and even turning the textures to medium will make the FPS tank.
I DO have a 4k TV, but I am running on 1920x1080, my monitor is also running 1920x1080. I understand that high resolution makes a game harder to run, but in my case, the resolution is the same.
Any ideas why this is happening? I can run other games fine on the big screen, like witcher 3, outer worlds, plague innocence, but why not this game?

Last edited:
Solution
Well alright, I didn't know that's what happened but I guess that apparently resolution size doesn't do anything when you apply it in games. You've got to change the resolution size in windows options. Even though my resolution in game was set to 1920 x 1080, the game was still being run at 4k. Honestly, just didn't think my setup could handle games in 4k, but I guess I ran the other titles in 4k resolution which is what I thought was beyond my specs.
Anyways, setting the windows resolution size to 1080 solved the FPS problems.

Pixeldrum

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
Well alright, I didn't know that's what happened but I guess that apparently resolution size doesn't do anything when you apply it in games. You've got to change the resolution size in windows options. Even though my resolution in game was set to 1920 x 1080, the game was still being run at 4k. Honestly, just didn't think my setup could handle games in 4k, but I guess I ran the other titles in 4k resolution which is what I thought was beyond my specs.
Anyways, setting the windows resolution size to 1080 solved the FPS problems.

Solution