[SOLVED] Why is my GPU not using 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2020
Hey, I have a question about my gpu/cpu usage while gaming!

Laptop:

Lenovo Y540
I7-9750h 6 cores
GTX 1660TI 6GB
16GB RAM
1TB HDD / 256GB SSD

When I play Rainbow Six Siege training ground this happens at ultra preset:

When the game starts I get around 115 Fps, after 1 minute around 125 Fps and after 5/10 min 180-200 Fps.
The usages / temps are:
CPU usage: 75-80% TEMP: 85-95(℃
GPU usage: 55-70% TEMP: 70-75℃

Why isn't my GPU using 100%? (I would like to get 144 fps at all times so it matches with my refresh rate.)
Fps isn't changing much if I put all graphic settings down to low.

Some laptop brands are using the same CPU with even more powerful GPU's, so I don't think it's bottlenecking my GPU.
All drivers are updated.

I would like to get this question answered!

Kind regards,

Kouki98

Solution
So you want higher minimums then.

1)There's a number of workarounds:
-Windows power plan to highest performance. The cpu will likely thermal throttle if you aren't using it already.
-Nvidia Control Panel/Optimus > Manage 3D Settings
Power management: Max
Texture filtering - Quality: High performance
Apply, then exit.

-Update all the laptop's drivers.
-Close Google, close G Hub - you might actually have to disable G Hub while you're playing.
The fewer apps you have going on in the background - besides Windows, the better.

2)I'm aware that it is normal for gaming laptops. But you don't want it running any hotter either, cause it'll just be worse.

If the CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough, why is it used with higher end GPU's?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When the game starts I get around 115 Fps, after 1 minute around 125 Fps and after 5/10 min 180-200 Fps.
Is that minimum, average, or max?

Why isn't my GPU using 100%? (I would like to get 144 fps at all times so it matches with my refresh rate.)
Fps isn't changing much if I put all graphic settings down to low.
1)The game doesn't need it all, or...
2)The problem lies with the cpu not being able to feed the gpu enough pre-rendered frames to keep it busy all the time

That said, there's no extra headroom to squeeze out of that cpu anyways. 95C is just 5 away from the critical temp.
That cpu will work as fast as it can regardless of how hot it is operating - except for the critical temp.

Perhaps cut down on the background processes and 3rd party apps, if any?

Apr 23, 2020
Is that minimum, average, or max?

- That is average fps.

1)The game doesn't need it all, or...
2)The problem lies with the cpu not being able to feed the gpu enough pre-rendered frames to keep it busy all the time

• 1) How am I able to get more fps if the game doesn't need all 100%?
  • 2) Yeah the CPU temp is high, but most laptops reach around 90°C nowadays from what i've heard.
If the CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough, why is it used with higher end GPU's?

Perhaps cut down on the background processes and 3rd party apps, if any?

- Not many, just Google, Logitech G Hub, and MSI afterburner for the usages and temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

-Windows power plan to highest performance. The cpu will likely thermal throttle if you aren't using it already.
Apply, then exit.

-Close Google, close G Hub - you might actually have to disable G Hub while you're playing.
The fewer apps you have going on in the background - besides Windows, the better.

2)I'm aware that it is normal for gaming laptops. But you don't want it running any hotter either, cause it'll just be worse.

Because it's a good pairing.
If you've got too much of other things going on, it's only going to take away from the cpu.

Solution
Apr 23, 2020

Apply, then exit.

》 I'll set texture filtering to high performance today today when I get back from work. I've done the powerplan/powermamagement already.

》 All drivers are updated from Nvidia Geforce Experience and Windows update, looked for updates with Lenovo Vantage but it couldn't find anything.
I can close those apps, but when I play with friends I use Discord so there will be a program running in the background.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Make an exception for Discord.

Others:
-Disable Windows Game Bar and Game Mode. They are found in Windows Settings > Gaming.
-Run the game, then open Task Manager > Details. Find the game's executable, right-click, and set priority to realtime.

Apr 23, 2020
I did everything you said and I thought I worked at first, when the game started it jumped straight up to 145 Fps average. But after a couple games it started al over again:
  • Start > 115/120 fps
  • Mid-game > 130/140 fps
  • End-game 180-200 fps
( average )
Even after letting the laptop cool down and trying it again didn't change it. :/

I added a laptop cooler too, but didn't see any improvements in temps or fps. ( Might be because it's an older cooler and not a gaming laptop cooler. )
I'm going to buy a car soon so a new laptop cooler has to wait.
I was thinking about undervolting the CPU, but I don't want my warranty removed since it's only 8 months old.

Thank you for your time and tips btw Phaaze88!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Fps going up over time... that's the opposite of what people usually complain about.

Verify integrity of the game files?
After everything else you've tried, it sounds like the game folder cache is being cleared every time you close the game.
I doubt you would intentionally do this though. Check Geforce Experience/Optimus settings for the game - perhaps there's an option enabled that tells either program to clear the game cache files every time you exit.

Apr 23, 2020
Verified all game files, I can't find anything about cache clearing in Geforce Experience, Geforce Controlpanel, Windows settings or steam settings. Deleted all temp files too ( saw it in a YT video ), but didn't help either.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can ya explain where and what circumstances are for the following time sections and are you playing single or multiplayer?. What are the main differences in activity? I don't play 6S, so not sure how involved or significant each part of the play session is.
  • Start > 115/120 fps
  • Mid-game > 130/140 fps
  • End-game 180-200 fps
Example. At start, while people are joining, before battling gets underway, more fps?

Then in the thick of it, more cpu processing going on, fps begins to drop.

Finally toward the end, could there be less of stuff for the cpu to do?

---

Not sure if it's been suggested, what's your cpu usage between these times? Check with Msi Afterburner, don't alt-tab to see. Need to monitor ingame to for accurate results.

Apr 23, 2020
This is tested in singleplayer where you play against bots.

Start is when the game starts and you enter the map. At this moment I walk outside.
Mid-game is inside the building walking / running around.
And end-game is also inside running, it might be that I get higher fps because there are almost no more bots in the building. So it has to render less or something? (Not sure how CPU'S and GPU'S work with each other ).

I can test the cpu usages later today, I'm not on my laptop right now.

...it might be that I get higher fps because there are almost no more bots in the building. So it has to render less or something?
It's not likely so much the rendering, as that's primarily handled by the graphics card. The graphics card is not running into its limits there, but rather the CPU. The CPU is being used for things like physics and AI for those bots, and it stands to reason that as more of them are eliminated, demand on the CPU will decrease, allowing it to perform its tasks more times per second.

Some laptop brands are using the same CPU with even more powerful GPU's, so I don't think it's bottlenecking my GPU.
All systems will "bottleneck" to some degree depending on the game. Some games will be more demanding on the graphics card, while others will be more demanding on the CPU, and that can change depending on what settings and resolution they are being run at. Crank those up, and the graphics card will "bottleneck" performance, lower them, and it will be the CPU. If you are lowering graphics options and not seeing any significant improvement to performance, then the CPU (along with possibly supporting components like RAM) are what's limiting your performance in that game. In a different game, the situation might be different though, and your graphics hardware could be the limiting factor.

I was thinking about undervolting the CPU, but I don't want my warranty removed since it's only 8 months old.
As far as I know, undervolting will generally not void warranties and is unlikely to damage components. The manufacturer may state that if damage were to occur as a result of using undervolting software they won't cover it, but other hardware failures should still be covered. It could potentially cause system instability if the processor is undervolted too much, but that can be amended by reducing the undervolt. As for whether it would help your frame rates, it's possible if the CPU is starting to throttle, which may be the case with temperatures in the 90s. I'm not sure I would expect miracles out of it though. You may just be running into the limits of the processor in that game.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and boju
Apr 23, 2020
I called with the customer service earlier and they said that if I undervolt the CPU, the full warranty will expire.

Usages>
Begin: 50-60% GPU | 70/80% CPU
Mid: 60-65% GPU | 80-85% CPU
End: 70% GPU | 80-85% CPU

Somehow my fps starts with 110 and goes within a couple of seconds to 130 fps average. Midgame it stays at around 145-150 fps and the end game 180 fps average.
This was tested with 5 games on the same map. I didn't change anything since saturday and it's better now, I'll test it tomorrow with some more playtime to see if it stays the same!

(Edit) Haven't had much time to test, will do it tomorrow!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020
It went back to the same fps like the beginning of this thread, so I believe that the processor will just run into his own limits.
It is what it is!

I want to thank you all for the information/tips you guys gave me. :)

Kind regards,

Kouki

Status
Not open for further replies.