[SOLVED] Why is my GTX 1080 performing so terribly?

Mar 14, 2021
I'm getting less than half of the frames I would usually get in any game and my Unigine Heaven score was terrible
1460 on 1080p with 57.3 frames, can anyone help me?

Solution
Looks like 2 issues off hand, slow ram and a slow Sabrent Q SSD.

Ideally, with Ryzen, you want ram speeds above 3000mhz. With you running 4 sticks this isn't likely to be able to overclocked much.

Your SSD choice uses PCIE4 but your motherboard only has PCIE3 so right off the bat you lose a chuck of speed. And then there is QLC flash that your dealing with on this drive. QLC is quite a bit slower at writing then TLC and MLC so to work around that they allocate a huge chuck of the empty cells to run in high speed Single Cell mode to act as a buffer until the data can be rewritten to the cells in QLC mode. A "mostly empty" Rocket Q uses 240GB of the drive for that and if it's using a Dynamic SLC cache allotment they you are...
Mar 14, 2021
That could just as well mean the rest of your system isn't up to the task.
Please list your systems specs with makes & model# of the major items.
Thank you.
Sorry for the late reply, but will this page from Steam be enough?
Computer Information:
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: B450 AORUS M
Form Factor: Desktop
Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x17
CPU Model: 0x8
CPU Stepping: 0x2
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3693 Mhz
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
Windows 10 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
DirectX Driver Name: nvldumd.dll
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6172
DirectX Driver Version: 27.21.14.6172
Driver Date: 2 23 2021
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 239 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x1b80
Revision: 0xa1
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 21.42" x 11.93" (24.49" diag)
54.4cm x 30.3cm (62.2cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 8191 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (Turtle Beach ELITE GA

Memory:
RAM: 40908 Mb

VR Hardware:
Headset: Oculus Miramar (oculus)
Controller: Oculus Miramar (Left Controller) (oculus)
Controller: Oculus Miramar (Right Controller) (oculus)

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: Undetermined
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 2382796 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 360083 Mb
OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969
Game Controller: None detected
MAC Address hash: 7cb0652c977b5bbe493b8f058ff050afc8783a61
Disk serial number hash: 47278fe9

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
UBM results:
-Cpu not turbo boosting. Thermal throttling? You didn't mention cpu thermals.
-The gpu looks ok, at least here. Better cooling should get a little more performance out of it.
-Sabrent Rocket Q: What the heck is going on here? That did terribly! Is it thermal throttling, or is something else going on?
-Both HDDs appear to be normal.
-I don't know what to say about the franken ram setup, other than it's not helping.

Mar 14, 2021
UBM results:
-Cpu not turbo boosting. Thermal throttling? You didn't mention cpu thermals.
-The gpu looks ok, at least here. Better cooling should get a little more performance out of it.
-Sabrent Rocket Q: What the heck is going on here? That did terribly! Is it thermal throttling, or is something else going on?
-Both HDDs appear to be normal.
-I don't know what to say about the franken ram setup, other than it's not helping.
I'm not the most informed when it comes to PCs so I didn't even know where to find out about CPU Thermals, and how would I go about getting better cooling for my GPU? And as for the SSD, I'm just as confused as you are T.T

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I'm not the most informed when it comes to PCs so I didn't even know where to find out about CPU Thermals, and how would I go about getting better cooling for my GPU? And as for the SSD, I'm just as confused as you are T.T

download this and check your temps for cpu

popatim

Titan

Ideally, with Ryzen, you want ram speeds above 3000mhz. With you running 4 sticks this isn't likely to be able to overclocked much.

Your SSD choice uses PCIE4 but your motherboard only has PCIE3 so right off the bat you lose a chuck of speed. And then there is QLC flash that your dealing with on this drive. QLC is quite a bit slower at writing then TLC and MLC so to work around that they allocate a huge chuck of the empty cells to run in high speed Single Cell mode to act as a buffer until the data can be rewritten to the cells in QLC mode. A "mostly empty" Rocket Q uses 240GB of the drive for that and if it's using a Dynamic SLC cache allotment they you are likely to have very little (slc cache) with only 350Gb free. Can you move stuff off the SSD?

Solution
ok, first of all, dont test with benchmarking utilities for miniscule performance differences...
I'm getting less than half of the frames I would usually get in any game
u mentioned the performance u r getting is not usual as u were getting before,; may i ask did u install any new antivirus or software or made any changes to windows prior this?
did u update windows to the latest update?
my Unigine Heaven score was terrible
1460 on 1080p with 57.3 frames,
did unigine ever crash... or were there any sudden system shutdowns...

Mar 14, 2021
ok, first of all, dont test with benchmarking utilities for miniscule performance differences...

u mentioned the performance u r getting is not usual as u were getting before,; may i ask did u install any new antivirus or software or made any changes to windows prior this?
did u update windows to the latest update?

did unigine ever crash... or were there any sudden system shutdowns...
I can't say I remember installing any new antiviruses or software before the slowdown, I even factory reset not too long ago and nothing changed. Unigine never crashed nor were there shutdowns.

Mar 14, 2021

Your SSD choice uses PCIE4 but your motherboard only has PCIE3 so right off the bat you lose a chuck of speed. And then there is QLC flash that your dealing with on this drive. QLC is quite a bit slower at writing then TLC and MLC so to work around that they allocate a huge chuck of the empty cells to run in high speed Single Cell mode to act as a buffer until the data can be rewritten to the cells in QLC mode. A "mostly empty" Rocket Q uses 240GB of the drive for that and if it's using a Dynamic SLC cache allotment they you are likely to have very little (slc cache) with only 350Gb free. Can you move stuff off the SSD?

I'll try freeing up a bit of space on the SSD, Right now it only has 345GBs free.

Mar 14, 2021
1)Hwinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ (use the green download button)
2)Depends on your chassis and cooling setup. These gpus sustain higher boost clocks the cooler they run.

3)If Sabrent doesn't have their own software for it, you can check the SSD thermals and health with Crystal Disk Info: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller
(03) Sabrent Rocket Q
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model : Sabrent Rocket Q
Firmware : RKT30Q.1
Serial Number : BC7107020D7C00999078
Disk Size : 1000.2 GB
Buffer Size : Unknown
# of Sectors :
Rotation Rate : ---- (SSD)
Interface : NVM Express
Major Version : NVM Express 1.3
Minor Version :
Transfer Mode : PCIe 3.0 x4 | PCIe 3.0 x4
Power On Hours : 6287 hours
Power On Count : 455 count
Host Reads : 22881 GB
Host Writes : 22547 GB
Temperature : 49 C (120 F)
Health Status : Good (81 %)
Features : S.M.A.R.T., TRIM, VolatileWriteCache
APM Level : ----
AAM Level : ----
Drive Letter : C:

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
To be sure you aren't sharing the SATA port with the SSD, I would unplug the HDD and run the userbenchmark again to see if the SSD scores jump up. If they do , connect the HDD to a different SATA port. That RAM is ridiculous! Clean that up and use matched sets. Definitely flash the bios to
F60
10.65 MB
2021/03/05

popatim

Titan
To be sure you aren't sharing the SATA port with the SSD, I would unplug the HDD and run the userbenchmark again to see if the SSD scores jump up.

M2 drives don't "share" with the normal Sata ports. If there is anything then it would be an either/or situation. For example; many motherbds "share" an M2 port with Sata ports 5 & 6, If you use the M2 it disables BOTH Sata Ports.

Mar 14, 2021
Okay so I don't know If I need to make a new thread, but when I cleaned my gpu it gained a bit of it's speed back. I attempted to do the same to my cpu fan and now it just doesn't spin at all. Honestly just considering Water Cooling.
Also my PC powers off after 20 or so seconds after the boot up.

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
M.2 IS the Sata port. Same thing. It's not shared. If you populate one, the other is disabled. Be it one or 2 ports depending.
Well, you guys can call it whatever you want, and correct me as much as you like but, I know that if you have a M.2 drive and plug a different HDD or SDD into the disabled SATA ports, there will be troubles .

Last edited: