john.halberg29

Commendable
May 9, 2020
I upgraded my graphics card today; my previous graphics card was a GTX 750 Ti FTW and my new graphics card is a RX 5600 XT Sapphire Pulse. After installing the new card, I tested it out on Rust and it was extremely laggy, even the server selection screen was laggy; it was much worse than it was with my previous card. I tried skyrim next because it is an offline game, and I thought maybe the reason Rust was lagging was because of wifi connectivity. But skyrim was also very laggy, so I knew it could not be my internet connection.

I did not update my BIOS because I checked the sapphiretech website which said only update your BIOS if your product number is one of the following:
  • 299-4E411-002SA
  • 299-5E411-002SA
  • 299-4E411-002FC
BUT, my product number is 299-5E411-202SA, which is different, so I assumed that my graphics cards is one of the newer models that comes pre-loaded with the new BIOS update. So I basically just took my old gtx750 card out, and plopped in the new rx 5600 xt, and turned on my computer to see if it would work. I connected to a monitor with hdmi. Everything was pretty snappy and quick on the desktop, and my internet browsing was fast with chrome too, but as soon as I started up a game like Rust or Skyrim, it started to lag a lot.

Here are my specs:
MotherBoard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
CPU: Intel i5-3570K 3.4ghz
GPU: RX 5600 XT Sapphire Pulse
Memory: 16gb
SSD: PNY 240GB SSD
Power Supply: EL series 500 WATT

Do I need to uninstall the old drivers for my GTX 750? How would I do this?
GPU-Z recognizes my graphics card as a "navi 10" is this accurate?
I'm confused about the difference between updating drivers and updating BIOS, is it the same thing? If I don't need to update the BIOS, should I update the drivers instead?

Thanks

Solution
Maybe check heat/temperature levels while playing? Are you getting thermal throttling? Can you use GPU-Z to track your temps and GPU utilization while playing?

I'd just hate to see you return it, get a different card, and wind up with similar problems.

I've run into a few links where other people (both Nvidia and AMD GPU owners), are complaining of Rust performance problems, and I've seen the accusation that the game is poorly optimized, with some comments about needing a lot of threads, yet other contradictory comments saying it doesn't thread well, etc. Might be a CPU issue, and it's not even pushing the GPU that hard?

john.halberg29

Commendable
May 9, 2020
OK so I got a new PSU that is a 850W Rosewill Glacier series. The PSU made no difference at all. I powered it up and the perofrmance was the same.

I installed the AMD Radeon software at: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software
and this made a huge difference. It seems obvious, but no one told me to get this software and it was not mentioned in the instructions included with the box. As soon as the software finished installing and started for the first time, the whole display got sharper and my display zoomed out. I'm pretty sure this was because everything was probably running integrated graphics before i installed the radeon software even though I had hdmi plugged directly into the AMD graphics card. So basically installing the radeon software made things much better.

However, I tried playing rust, and the fps is much better than before, but still not impressive at all. I was getting an average fps of 43 on the lowest settings. I was on a server with only 40 pop and a ping of about 45. My wifi download rate is about 100mps and upload is 14mps. I am confused because userbenchmark showed that people were getting 60+fps with the rx5600xt and im struggling to get over 40fps. terrible lag, unplayable.

As for skyrim, I played on highest settings and i was getting 45fps, and so i brought it down to medium settings and i averaged 54 fps. Still not as high as i was hoping.

I did some research to see what else I could do to optimize my fps, and i did the following:
(1) I went to power settings in control pannel and sent it to performance mode
(2) I switched the small black switch on my graphics card to the left (I believe this switch is supposed to switch between silent mode and performance mode, but it is not labeled so there is no way for me to tell which direction is which. Does anyone else have this issue??)

At this point I wish I would have bought a rtx 2060, I might send back this card soon if I cant get it working better.

Apr 28, 2020
Yea if you cant fix this, get another card, that's what i might do because you know whats funny my GTX 1660 TI also has been performing so bad on my new rig, it's the Gigabyte Technology version I'm not buying from that brand again i read their cards fail a lot, mine has to be faulty as all applications i run crash to desktop almost immediately when the card reaches 55+ Celsius which makes no sense and no other method or fixes has helped even clean windows 10 install, however it did worked kinda decent for a week (but not getting fps i should) yet still worked okay, except for now because it's a disaster.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Generally, regardless of whether it's Nvidia or AMD, you need to download the latest drivers from their website and install.

Did you run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) prior to installing the Radeon software? If not, it's probably a good idea to do so, to make sure any leftover data/info from the old drivers for the GTX 750 is completely gone. Probably best to run it twice, once to remove all the old Nvidia drivers, and a second time to remove your current Radeon drivers. Then you're in a fully clean state to install the Radeon drivers fresh.

Which exact version of the Radeon drivers did you download? I know there's an optional 20.4.2 version, but for my son's RX 5700, I've stuck with the latest WHQL version, which is 20.2.2.

That switch I do believe you are correct, is probably a performance vs silent mode, but you'd have to check Sapphire's website for the details, as any other model that might have that switch won't necessarily have the same direction (ie: left is performance for one model, but another model , right might be for performance).

john.halberg29

Commendable
May 9, 2020
Generally, regardless of whether it's Nvidia or AMD, you need to download the latest drivers from their website and install.

Did you run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) prior to installing the Radeon software? If not, it's probably a good idea to do so, to make sure any leftover data/info from the old drivers for the GTX 750 is completely gone. Probably best to run it twice, once to remove all the old Nvidia drivers, and a second time to remove your current Radeon drivers. Then you're in a fully clean state to install the Radeon drivers fresh.

Which exact version of the Radeon drivers did you download? I know there's an optional 20.4.2 version, but for my son's RX 5700, I've stuck with the latest WHQL version, which is 20.2.2.

That switch I do believe you are correct, is probably a performance vs silent mode, but you'd have to check Sapphire's website for the details, as any other model that might have that switch won't necessarily have the same direction (ie: left is performance for one model, but another model , right might be for performance).
I tried both versions (20.2.2 first, and then i tried 20.4.2) this did not make much of a difference. I used window's control panel "programs and features" to uninstall the nvidia drivers. I will try the DDU tool and get back to yall

BTW been looking everywhere on sapphire website, cant find anything about the switch direction.

john.halberg29

Commendable
May 9, 2020
I tried both versions (20.2.2 first, and then i tried 20.4.2) this did not make much of a difference. I used window's control panel "programs and features" to uninstall the nvidia drivers. I will try the DDU tool and get back to yall

BTW been looking everywhere on sapphire website, cant find anything about the switch direction.
UPDATE: found out right is performance and left is for silent.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_nZyfy2JEE

john.halberg29

Commendable
May 9, 2020

OK i used DDU to uninstall both the NVIDIA drivers and the AMD drivers. Then i re-installed the amd drivers and i am using version 20.2.2 of radeon now.

Still only getting about 40fps on rust. Not sure what to try next. I think im gonna return the gpu

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe check heat/temperature levels while playing? Are you getting thermal throttling? Can you use GPU-Z to track your temps and GPU utilization while playing?

I'd just hate to see you return it, get a different card, and wind up with similar problems.

I've run into a few links where other people (both Nvidia and AMD GPU owners), are complaining of Rust performance problems, and I've seen the accusation that the game is poorly optimized, with some comments about needing a lot of threads, yet other contradictory comments saying it doesn't thread well, etc. Might be a CPU issue, and it's not even pushing the GPU that hard?

I can't view it right now (work VPN limitations) but this link calls it self the Ultimate Performance Guide For Rust:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1894918865

If you do a search for rust optimizing, there are also some YouTube videos out there, but I haven't watched them so I can't say how helpful they are.

Solution