[SOLVED] Why is my new Ryzen build constantly crashing ?

Sep 12, 2021
Hello guys, I've been having a lot of issues trying to get my new system running stable. BIOS, drivers, and OS are all up to date. All hardware is brand new. RAM and MB are in both manufacturer's QVL/Compatibility lists. I have previous experience with Intel builds and never got any problems. This is my first experience with AMD, though. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate any help.

PC Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Asus B550-F Strix Gaming (Wi-Fi) Bios Version 2423 (2021/08/26)
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series (2 x 32 GB) F4-3600C18D-64GTRS
  • M.2 WD Black SN750 500 GB
  • EVGA Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti XC
  • MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 240R
  • Seasonic 750W Focus GX 80 Plus Gold
  • Windows 10 Pro
c3bngup54ym71.png

Short-Version:
- PC crashes and restarts when playing games. I'm also getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

Details:
  • BIOS updated. Default/auto settings. Got through Windows 10 installation without problems.
  • Within the first 30 minutes of use, I got two BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR code.
  • Changed RAM settings to D.O.C.P. and it got better for a while until I started playing.
  • Games crash happens after 5, 10, or 40 minutes. It's pretty random. I even got a couple of crashes in a game's menu. The screen goes all black and the PC restarts without any error code. Sometimes it shows a few glitchy saturated color spots before restarting.
  • Tried enabling/disabling XMP (DOCP), Default/Auto OC profile, disabling Precision Boost Overdrive, but games are still crashing.
  • I deleted/formatted everything and started from scratch.
  • Clean Windows install, all drivers installed and updated. Got rid of Ryzen Master, Asus Armoury Crate, and all the unnecessary stuff.
  • Tried a different PSU. Disconnected/disabled RGB. Still crashing.
  • Enabled/Disabled XMP (DOCP), tried 2666MHz, 3200Mhz, 3600MHz, same results.
  • Looked into the dump files and I'm still getting: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5E40) WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.
  • After days of troubleshooting I finally disabled Core Performance Boost and that seemed to help as a temporary solution. I was able to run a couple of games for a few hours without crashing. I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm not planning on doing any extreme OC but I would like to use my 5950X without reducing its potential or performance.
What do you guys think?

Solution
Did you ever reset CMOS after installing the CPU or updating BIOS? That's important.

Also make your tests for stability with everthing on full defaults, after Windows has posted all it's updates and after installing chipset drivers and GPU drivers, then make more tests after each BIOS change.

That way you can know it works in full stock settings and then also know just where it starts going unstable with your changes. Troubleshooting is very different if it's not stable on full, fresh install defaults.
After the Windows 10 installation, did you allowed all Windows updates to be installed before performing any tasks and system changes?
Did you installed the latest chipset drivers for the B550 chipset available from AMD website?
After installing AMD chipset drivers, make sure the AMD Ryzen Power Plan is selected.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
Did you ever reset CMOS after installing the CPU or updating BIOS? That's important.

Also make your tests for stability with everthing on full defaults, after Windows has posted all it's updates and after installing chipset drivers and GPU drivers, then make more tests after each BIOS change.

That way you can know it works in full stock settings and then also know just where it starts going unstable with your changes. Troubleshooting is very different if it's not stable on full, fresh install defaults.

Solution