Why is my old PC running better then my new one?

shelbyalspaugh1965

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Okay, so my old pc was a Dell Inspiron 3847 here are the specs (its a little upgraded from out the box) -
MB - Its custom made for the pc
Ram- 16 Gb 1600 MHz
PSU - 300 Watts
GPU - GTX 1050
HDD- 1 TB
CPU - I5

So this was my old pc which could run Ark at 40 Fps and Fortnite at 90-100 Fps on high/medium
So I recently got a new pc but it can barely run ark and it can run Fortnite at 50 fps on low/medium.
The specs of my new pc are

MB -Asus m5a78l-m/usb3
Ram - 24Gb
PSU - 450 Watt Bronze 80+
GPU - GTX 1050
HDD - 1Tb
SSD - 120Gb
Cpu - Fx 4 core 4300

Why isn't it playing at better fps?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well your new PC is worse for gaming than your old PC, so lower performance is to be expected.

I'm not sure what i5 was in your old PC but pretty much any i5 is going to outperform an FX 4300. Your new PC may have more RAM and an SSD but neither of those are going to improve performance in terms of framerate in fortnite.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, most of those Dell Inspirons with that model used midrange Haswell i5s, which are much better choices than an FX-4300. Though to be sure on the CPU, we'd need more information than "i5" here. Overall, your old PC was a better gaming rig than your new one by a significant margin.

It also seems likely you have a FrankenRAM situation, meaning you're mixing and matching RAM from different sources, which won't help matters.

shelbyalspaugh1965

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019

I have the core i5 4440. Since this is better than the fx 4300 do you have any suggestions that are better or equal to the i5 that will fit the Asus m5a78l-m/usb3 motherboard?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Do you still have your old PC? If so I would use the motherboard and CPU from that.

That is an AMD AM3+ board it will only support certain older AMD CPU's. Something like a FX 8350 would be an upgrade however I don't really think it's worth the money and likely wont outperform an i5 4440 depending on the game.

Nope, the FX is a dead end platform.

One of the worst platforms AMD ever made performance wise.

shelbyalspaugh1965

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019

The MB is custom to the case I think and all the new parts I bought won't fit the old case and I can't return them anymore. What do you think I should do?

Stick with the i5 system and sell the AMD stuff.