[SOLVED] Why is my ryzen 9 3900x overheating in bios?

Jun 24, 2020
My ryzen 3900x is overheating in bios at a constant 83 degrees celcius, and I am using the stock cooler. I don’t know what I am doing wrong, I put thermal paste on the cpu. Is there any way I can fix this?

Solution
I just put 3 grains of rice of thermal paste onto it, and let the cooler spread it. I am running default settings on the bios. I didn’t think about the fan speeds, because of what it said it was running at a crazy 2800 rpm. I didn’t want to hurt the chip tho, so I decided to turn the pc off and open the cooler. I felt around the cpu, and it turns out it wasn’t hot at all. I am really confused right now. I might be looking to buy a noctua d15.

When you took off the cooler did the thermal paste seem to cover the entire integrated heat sink (the metal plate on the processor)?

Try one of the methods outlined here:

Also note the amount of paste they use

View: https://youtu.be/JYwHB2P6GmM

If...
How much thermal paste, please describe your method.

Are you running all default/stock settings in the BIOS? Full system specs would be nice too.

Your Wraith's has a High/Low fan switch on it, usually comes set in the Low position. Set it to High and it will help a bit.

You do have a monster of a chip and the stock Wraith will struggle to tame it. I would recommend looking for a good aftermarket air cooler or AIO.

Jun 24, 2020
I just put 3 grains of rice of thermal paste onto it, and let the cooler spread it. I am running default settings on the bios. I didn’t think about the fan speeds, because of what it said it was running at a crazy 2800 rpm. I didn’t want to hurt the chip tho, so I decided to turn the pc off and open the cooler. I felt around the cpu, and it turns out it wasn’t hot at all. I am really confused right now. I might be looking to buy a noctua d15.

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

redo your paste use one dot in middle of CPU and when you do put the cooler on make sure you tighten it evenly

Furzumz

Reputable

When you took off the cooler did the thermal paste seem to cover the entire integrated heat sink (the metal plate on the processor)?

Try one of the methods outlined here:

Also note the amount of paste they use

View: https://youtu.be/JYwHB2P6GmM

If that does fix it, keep in mind the 3900x likes to run hot. Not 83 in bios hot, but I wouldn't be surprised if you hit low 80's under load with a wraith cooler. I got a corsair all in one water cooler and I still hit near 80 under load at times

Solution
The AMD ryzen and threadripper processors have several dies spread out under the heatspreader and like more paste than their intel counterparts or older AMD chips. The heatsink mounting pressure should spread the paste out if you have enough. If you don't have enough you'll have places near the edge that don't make contact and will result in reduced heat transfer.

Most modern thermal compounds are non-conductive so getting a little squeeze out is not likely to cause any issues. On these processors I would shoot for having a little extra, over just enough.

Jun 24, 2020
if you are re-opening the cooler then u have to clean the paste from the surface of both cpu and cooler with some alchohol... then reapply the paste.. and better you try an aftermarket cooler