[SOLVED] Why is my Ryzen 9 3900x so hot ?

Nov 30, 2021
I am not a pc expert in any means please be nice <3

I have a R9 3900x cpu and it idles at 75 degrees and when i play games it will go to 90 or even 95. I have never had the pc shut of on me. i only noticed this after switching to windows 11. I got a AIO cooler and that didnt improve anything. could this be a os issue? I have cleand the pc so i am certain its not dust or anything

specs:
3900x
MSI gaming trio 3080ti
Asus prime x570
32 gb ram

exta - my cpu is at 73 degrees and 2% load as of posting

Solution
so i have been using icue to see the temps. have my front 3 fans as intake and the aio blows out. i have one exhaust fan and the aio aswell with 2 fans. its only hits 95 briefly. i only play apex and valorant and rocket league. only apex has hit 95 and over but my game will freak out for a sec and the temp drops.

I had the original wreath cooler and had no issues. then my temps went up after windows 11. That's when i got the aio.
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240 Illusion AIO CPU Cooler Black
it should be 100% pump i will check again
When it hits 95C it makes sense things will 'freak out' as the CPU starts hard throttling to protect itself.

iCue software isn't such a good thing to run with Ryzen as it's known to...

I have a R9 3900x cpu and it idles at 75 degrees and when i play games it will go to 90 or even 95. I have never had the pc shut of on me. i only noticed this after switching to windows 11. I got a AIO cooler and that didnt improve anything. could this be a os issue? I have cleand the pc so i am certain its not dust or anything

specs:
3900x
MSI gaming trio 3080ti
Asus prime x570
32 gb ram

It is normal and by design for Ryzen 5000 CPU's to hit 90C in normal operation so that much is perfectly safe. But hitting 95C isn't so good.

How are you checking temps? I'd suggest getting HWInfo64 and watch Tdie and Tctl temperature response on graphs. If it's only hitting for brief periods it's not nearly so bad. Still, finding out if you've any cooling issues is called for. What AIO did you get and how is the radiator installed (top/side/front/bottom, fans blowing in or out)?

Also check your pump speed: the pump on an AIO should be running full speed constantly to keep water circulating, so adjust it for 100% or +12V.

Nov 30, 2021
Hi. Those temps suggest that something is not working correctly. Can you provide details of what AIO you are using as well as the case and power supply?

• Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB Modular Bronze 750W Power Supply
  • Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case Whit
this is what i have.

Nov 30, 2021
It is normal and by design for Ryzen 5000 CPU's to hit 90C in normal operation so that much is perfectly safe. But hitting 95C isn't so good.

How are you checking temps? I'd suggest getting HWInfo64 and watch Tdie and Tctl temperature response on graphs. If it's only hitting for brief periods it's not nearly so bad. Still, finding out if you've any cooling issues is called for. What AIO did you get and how is the radiator installed (top/side/front/bottom, fans blowing in or out)?

Also check your pump speed: the pump on an AIO should be running full speed constantly to keep water circulating, so adjust it for 100% or +12V.

so i have been using icue to see the temps. have my front 3 fans as intake and the aio blows out. i have one exhaust fan and the aio aswell with 2 fans. its only hits 95 briefly. i only play apex and valorant and rocket league. only apex has hit 95 and over but my game will freak out for a sec and the temp drops.

I had the original wreath cooler and had no issues. then my temps went up after windows 11. That's when i got the aio.

When it hits 95C it makes sense things will 'freak out' as the CPU starts hard throttling to protect itself.

iCue software isn't such a good thing to run with Ryzen as it's known to not let cores 'sleep' when running. I'd also not trust it's temp readings; use HWInfo64 as it's known to be accurate for Ryzen. One thing it's good for is if it reports water temp of the circulating water, that's useful.

Another good temp report while gaming is MSI's Afterburner OSD.

Where is the radiator installed? I'd put it in front where the three fans are, with the cool intake air blowing through it into the case. If it's anywhere else with it's fans blowing out it's probably using hot exhaust air from the GPU which really winds up just pre-warming the water for the CPU. Not a good scenario. Also, locate the hose barbs at the bottom if you can although at the top is OK if above the CPU water block. But even so I don't think this is all of the problem.

It's bad to have the radiator in a bottom position or all below the CPU water block since the air in the system will accumulate there so the pump doesn't move as much liquid. But that's a conventional AIO where the pump's in the CPU water block; there are pump-in-rad designs that have their own quirks. They're cheaper so they're getting popular.

Be sure to update your BIOS to the latest as it's fixed several issues for Windows 11 and Ryzen 5000 CPU's. Also update your AMD chipset drivers, also for Ryzen 5000 fixes and Win11 compatibility.

Solution
Does not make any sense, because eggYeet wrote:

"I have a R9 3900x cpu ........."
ahh yeah...you're right! so many high temp questions with ryzen 5000 i missed that.

But even 3900x's get hot if cooling isn't working great. It's definitely desireable to keep it in the 70's under heavy processing loads and just gaming is by no means a heavy processing load for a 12 core CPU.

Nov 30, 2021

iCue software isn't such a good thing to run with Ryzen as it's known to not let cores 'sleep' when running. I'd also not trust it's temp readings; use HWInfo64 as it's known to be accurate for Ryzen. One thing it's good for is if it reports water temp of the circulating water, that's useful.

Another good temp report while gaming is MSI's Afterburner OSD.

Where is the radiator installed? I'd put it in front where the three fans are, with the cool intake air blowing through it into the case. If it's anywhere else with it's fans blowing out it's probably using hot exhaust air from the GPU which really winds up just pre-warming the water for the CPU. Not a good scenario. Also, locate the hose barbs at the bottom if you can although at the top is OK if above the CPU water block. But even so I don't think this is all of the problem.

It's bad to have the radiator in a bottom position or all below the CPU water block since the air in the system will accumulate there so the pump doesn't move as much liquid. But that's a conventional AIO where the pump's in the CPU water block; there are pump-in-rad designs that have their own quirks. They're cheaper so they're getting popular.

Be sure to update your BIOS to the latest as it's fixed several issues for Windows 11 and Ryzen 5000 CPU's. Also update your AMD chipset drivers, also for Ryzen 5000 fixes and Win11 compatibility.

Ok so my radiator is on the top of my case above the exhaust. I will try to flip to fans so it’s intake. I will try to use HWinfo64 tomorrow after work to see any changes. I use after burner to set my gpu fans. I have attached an image for visual representation

Ok so my radiator is on the top of my case above the exhaust. I will try to flip to fans so it’s intake. I will try to use HWinfo64 tomorrow after work to see any changes. I use after burner to set my gpu fans. I have attached an image for visual representation
The logo outline on the water block looks like a CoolerMaster AIO, they use a pump in the water block so that shouldn't be a worry. But the iCue software won't likely report water temp from it even if has a temp sensor.

That GPU exhaust adds tremendous heat load for the radiator on top. Mounting in front should be a big improvement for CPU cooling.

The last thing would be to try running it without the front glass panel if it's removeable. In fact, check it both ways after moving the radiator. If it's consideraby cooler with the panel removed then it's obstructing air flow too much. If you can find some way to install it with more space around the panel for air to flow would help even more. Otherwise you'll have to decide if having it on is worth the extra heat.

Nov 30, 2021
The logo outline on the water block looks like a CoolerMaster AIO, they use a pump in the water block so that shouldn't be a worry. But the iCue software won't likely report water temp from it even if has a temp sensor.

That GPU exhaust adds tremendous heat load for the radiator on top. Mounting in front should be a big improvement for CPU cooling.

The last thing would be to try running it without the front glass panel if it's removeable. In fact, check it both ways after moving the radiator. If it's consideraby cooler with the panel removed then it's obstructing air flow too much. If you can find some way to install it with more space around the panel for air to flow would help even more. Otherwise you'll have to decide if having it on is worth the extra heat.
Would moving the radiator be better then flipping the top fans. I already run the pc without the front glass panel aswell as I have been using the pc without the side panel as well. I will try moving the radiator tomorrow after work and check temps using HWinfo64

Would moving the radiator be better then flipping the top fans....
Oh yes. Moving it to the front is definitely an improvement...

You want radiator in front with all front fans blowing in. The top fans and rear fan blowing out. That will mean only cool outside air is being used for CPU cooling and the hot air from the GPU is being forcefully removed by the exhaust fans.

With that arrangement you should be able to close the side panel with no problem. The front panel you might have to experiment a little.

specs:
3900x
MSI gaming trio 3080ti
Asus prime x570
32 gb ram

Do you have PBO on?
Mine ran at similar temps with the stock cooler. Moving to Cooler Master ML240 lite AIO didn't help much. It took a Artic Cooling 280 to tame the beast and keep it 90 and below with all threads running Prime 95.

Nov 30, 2021
Oh yes. Moving it to the front is definitely an improvement...

You want radiator in front with all front fans blowing in. The top fans and rear fan blowing out. That will mean only cool outside air is being used for CPU cooling and the hot air from the GPU is being forcefully removed by the exhaust fans.

With that arrangement you should be able to close the side panel with no problem. The front panel you might have to experiment a little.
So should I have the radiator on the left side of the front fans as per the image above so the cold are is pushed through the radiator then into the case or should I have the radiator on the front panel then the fans. Or is there no difference?

So should I have the radiator on the left side of the front fans as per the image above so the cold are is pushed through the radiator then into the case or should I have the radiator on the front panel then the fans. Or is there no difference?
PUSH or PULL orientation of the fan's air through the radiator won't matter that much. For RGB pretty-ness to the outside/front I'd put three matching fans facing outward but blowing back, two of them blowing through the radiator and then into the case.

These three fans are probably ones that came with the case. Hopefully they're the 'pressure' type as they put more air through a restriction like a radiator. If not, they should be good enough. Or use the fans that came with the AIO but they won't match the third fan.

Nov 30, 2021
PUSH or PULL orientation of the fan's air through the radiator won't matter that much. For RGB pretty-ness to the outside/front I'd put three matching fans facing outward but blowing back, two of them blowing through the radiator and then into the case.

These three fans are probably ones that came with the case. Hopefully they're the 'pressure' type as they put more air through a restriction like a radiator. If not, they should be good enough. Or use the fans that came with the AIO but they won't match the third fan.
Ok thanks I will try that

Nov 30, 2021
Do you have PBO on?
Mine ran at similar temps with the stock cooler. Moving to Cooler Master ML240 lite AIO didn't help much. It took a Artic Cooling 280 to tame the beast and keep it 90 and below with all threads running Prime 95.
I believe that has something to do with over clocking? My cpu is not over clocked. Correct me if I am wrong

I believe that has something to do with over clocking? My cpu is not over clocked. Correct me if I am wrong
It doesn't have to be overclocking. It's normal and by design for Ryzen 5000 CPU's to push as high as 90C even with stock setup. From what AMD has said, 90C sounds like the target temp before it decides to stop trying to boost under heavy processing loads.

That suggests it will always strive to get there (90C) unless there are changes to certain parameters to limit it. I think different motherboard mfr's have set those default parameters differently in BIOS settings. But 95C is NOT good and an indication of something that needs to be taken care if all settings are stock.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021
It doesn't have to be overclocking. It's normal and by design for Ryzen 5000 CPU's to push as high as 90C even with stock setup. From what AMD has said, 90C sounds like the target temp before it decides to stop trying to boost under heavy processing loads.

That suggests it will always strive to get there (90C) unless there are changes to certain parameters to limit it. I think different motherboard mfr's have set those default parameters differently in BIOS settings. But 95C is NOT good and an indication of something that needs to be taken care if all settings are stock.

so should i not use icue at all? i use it for my rgb on my vengance ram and fans.

i moved the radiator to the front intake fans

this is the temps from HWinfo when idle

this is with it on valorant.

and this is the title screen of apex

so should i not use icue at all? i use it for my rgb on my vengance ram and fans.

i moved the radiator to the front intake fans

this is the temps ...
The HWInfo temps while idle and in Valorant look OK...but I have to agree the temps in the title screen of Apex is a bit concerning even if still within expectations for a Ryzen CPU set up stock. Those 90+ temps (in Apex) are max, so I expect they are only fairly quick temp spikes and not sustained. Even then the SVI2 Core Voltage max is 1.375C, averaging around 1.316 and currently 1.294. It's keeping the CPU safe at least with the processing load that generates those temps. I wonder just what that game is doing in the title screen to make the CPU scream so.

But I have to think those games, Apex in particular, would probably benefit from setting up PBO and undervolting with curve optimizer to make sure the CPU stays boosting as high as possible during the game.

Don't know if this was covered but also update to latest BIOS for your board and update the AMD chipset drivers. Download the chipset drivers only from the AMD support web site to be assured of getting the latest. Both have had significant changes that affect stability and compatibility.

Personally, I'd completely uninstall iCue software and check Windows' Services to see if it removed any that it may have installed. I don't like running any manufacturer provided utilities since they're rarely well coded. I don't even like running RyzenMaster; the app is definitely not meant to be run for 24/7 use and even its service has been shown to affect system performance.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021
The HWInfo temps while idle and in Valorant look OK...but I have to agree the temps in the title screen of Apex is a bit concerning even if still within expectations for a Ryzen CPU set up stock. Those 90+ temps (in Apex) are max, so I expect they are only fairly quick temp spikes and not sustained. Even then the SVI2 Core Voltage max is 1.375C, averaging around 1.316 and currently 1.294. It's keeping the CPU safe at least with the processing load that generates those temps. I wonder just what that game is doing in the title screen to make the CPU scream so.

But I have to think those games, Apex in particular, would probably benefit from setting up PBO and undervolting with curve optimizer to make sure the CPU stays boosting as high as possible during the game.

Don't know if this was covered but also update to latest BIOS for your board and update the AMD chipset drivers. Download the chipset drivers only from the AMD support web site to be assured of getting the latest. Both have had significant changes that affect stability and compatibility.

Personally, I'd completely uninstall iCue software and check Windows' Services to see if it removed any that it may have installed. I don't like running any manufacturer provided utilities since they're rarely well coded. I don't even like running RyzenMaster; the app is definitely not meant to be run for 24/7 use and even its service has been shown to affect system performance.
I might look into the PBO and undervolting with curve optimizer. i updated my bios yesterday so all g there

i use icue to control my corsair fans as they are connected to a commander pro. i will try and find a work around for that and uninstall icue. My system is a little less steamy now. So big thanks <3.
and thanks to anyone els who tried to help.

Dec 4, 2021
it's a overclock video but he talks about the mobo manufacturers bios not being right on a few things dropped my temp to 40 at idle on a air cooler I'm on a Asus ROG b450 f 3900x the bios should be similar also they've fixed some of this in the bios updates but not all of it when he says they're 1 for 12 that's the last of the changes anything after that is going into overclocking start about 3 minutes into the vid to save time hope this helps

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssuqhyqah2k&t=569s

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021
UPDATE: i managed to get my temps down to 85/87 on apex through changing some settings i may have forgot to change via Nvidia control panel, from when i reset my pc. imma def gonna play around with the vults to see if i get get it lower. as well as watch the video above. thanks everyone.