[SOLVED] Why is my Thicc III Ultra crashing my games when gpu temp reaches 75 C?

Apr 25, 2020
My gpu keeps causing every game I play to crash if the temperature reaches 75 C. I've mainly been playing Jedi: Fallen Order and Battlefront 2 , both on ultra settings at 1440p. from everything I've seen, my rig should be able to handle this. This is my first pc build, and I've done everything I know to do. Re-seated the card, reinstalled drivers, messed with fan speeds, set power usage to max. My parts are as follows. (Nothing is overclocked other than the minor tweaking I tried with the gpu, and I set the ram so it would run at the full 3200mhz.)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Thicc III Ultra
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200mhz
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo (500GB)
HDD: 2TB Seagate Bararcuda
PSU: EVGA 600w BQ 80+ Bronze
Case: MasterCooler Masterbox Pro 5
Display: MSI Optix MAG27CQ 1440p 144hz
Could my case possibly not be allowing enough air flow?
I really don't know what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Like me, you made the wrong choice.
XFX has always been great for amd cards, buth this time the entire thicc lineup sucks real bad. I had a rx 5700 xt xfx thicc II for 7 months, and it gave me crashes (random restarts while gaming with no dumps), amdkmdap errors, and finally after a really bad crash, fans stoppend spinning and i just retured it.
But why my friend with the sapphire pulse never had a single crash?? It was the same card but from different makers. Well, i am now on an rx 5700 Xt powercolor red devil and never had a crash again. My advice is return that thicc if you can and go for Sapphire (nitro+ is the best, but pulse is good too) or powercolor (red devil)
Apr 26, 2020
I have the same gpu for a about 2 months now, running a 1440 ultrawide.
This gpu has given me nothing but problems.
Black screen bugs, massive driver issues.
When this GPU works, its gorgeous but holy <Mod Edit> is it ever finicky.. returning it for an rtx card this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapsLuke

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017
Like me, you made the wrong choice.
XFX has always been great for amd cards, buth this time the entire thicc lineup sucks real bad. I had a rx 5700 xt xfx thicc II for 7 months, and it gave me crashes (random restarts while gaming with no dumps), amdkmdap errors, and finally after a really bad crash, fans stoppend spinning and i just retured it.
But why my friend with the sapphire pulse never had a single crash?? It was the same card but from different makers. Well, i am now on an rx 5700 Xt powercolor red devil and never had a crash again. My advice is return that thicc if you can and go for Sapphire (nitro+ is the best, but pulse is good too) or powercolor (red devil)

Solution