[SOLVED] Why is my Wifi slow on 2.4 GHz?

Smajdalfko

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Hello community,
I have been having a problem with my wifi internet speed. A have currently 2 wifi networks transmiting from 1 router. One is 2.4 GHz and the other one is 5GHz. I dont know why but when i connect to the 2.4 one with my iphone xs my internet is very slow on my phone. When i am on the 5 GHz one everything works fine. Anyone knows what may be wrong?

Solution
There are a couple of reasons 2.4 GHz is usually slower than 5 GHz.
First, 2.4 is (mostly) limited to 20 MHz wide channels, while 5 GHz can often utilize 40, 80, or 160 MHz wide channels.
Second, there is a lot of 'stuff' on 2.4 - other Wi-Fi users, Bluetooth, Zigby, analog CCTV, microwave ovens, some motion detectors, lots of stuff.

The only upside to 2.4 GHz is that it penetrates walls and other objects better than 5 GHz and therefore has better range in non-line-of-sight conditions.
There are a couple of reasons 2.4 GHz is usually slower than 5 GHz.
First, 2.4 is (mostly) limited to 20 MHz wide channels, while 5 GHz can often utilize 40, 80, or 160 MHz wide channels.
Second, there is a lot of 'stuff' on 2.4 - other Wi-Fi users, Bluetooth, Zigby, analog CCTV, microwave ovens, some motion detectors, lots of stuff.

The only upside to 2.4 GHz is that it penetrates walls and other objects better than 5 GHz and therefore has better range in non-line-of-sight conditions.

Solution