Question Why is the laptop fan randomly slowing down and speeding up?

Answer: yes

Reputable
Mar 16, 2021
Hi. I got a laptop. Its a Hp 15s. Specs: I5 1235u, 16 gb ddr4 ram, intel iris xe grapichs. Since unboxing it yesterday the cpu fan has been really annoying me. When idle it randomly spins up like crazy, then after a few minutes it drops to basically zero. The time period between the jumps are not consistent. Sometimes its louder than my pc( with a dual fan gpu and large cpu cooler) and can hear it through headset, and then randomly it gets so quiet that i cant even hear the fan when i put my ear next to it. It is under no load whatsoever. Used it for youtube and browsing. Tried switching the system cooling policy to be passive on both on battery and plugged in. With msi i checked the temps, and it was 39-41 degrees celsius the whole time. I havent used a laptop for a while but even my 10+ year old thinkpad is silent compared to this. I know laptops can be loud but this is just unbearable. Could it be some Bios problem, or is the temperature sensor faulty? (or is the laptop trash as it is)

Thanks in advance.