Question Why is the nvme ssd becoming unallocated space?

cns000

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
I bought my Alienware 17 r5 laptop on Jan 2019. I put 970 evo plus 500gb nvme ssd on June 2019.

On Feb 2022 I had to replace the motherboard because the Nvidia card spoiled.

On Feb 2023 my laptop froze and when I restarted my laptop I got a message saying start pxe over ipx4 boot. I booted Windows setup from a flash usb and I checked the nvme ssd. I saw that it was unallocated space and I lost everything on it.

I took my laptop to a repair shop and they told me that the 970 evo plus spoiled because they couldn't format it. The nvme ssd was still healthy so I am suspecting that the controller chip of the nvme ssd suddenly failed. I bought 980 pro 1tb nvme ssd from them on March 2023 and the firmware was updated to the latest version when I bought the nvme ssd..

I used to live in uae. On May 2023 I moved to Lebanon. The electricity is crap. The gov cuts the electricity a lot so we have to use generator electricity and it fluctuates a lot and the lights sometimes dim at home.

On Oct 2023 the same thing happened again and my laptop froze and the nvme ssd become unallocated space and I lost everything on it. I took it to a repair shop in Lebanon. They said that the nvme ssd is fine and the partition table was erased. They were vague and they said there was a motherboard problem and it was repaired.

I have an Eaton 5E850iusb ups and I am connecting my Synology nas to it. I also connected my laptop to the ups to protect it from the electricity fluctuations because I suspected that the electricity fluctuations messed up the nvme ssd and erased the partition table.

Last month my laptop froze again and the nvme ssd became unallocated space and I lost everything on it :( I was able to create a new partition on the nvme ssd so that means that the nvme ssd is ok. I did restore from a macrium reflect image that I made the day before the issue happened and my laptop is working again.

I want to ask why did the 980 pro suddenly become unallocated space on oct 2023 and aug 2024?

There is no malware. I am not using any of the Alienware programs because they can affect the partition table and none of my programs can affect the partition table.

The nvme ssd is healthy and the temp is low.

I don't think that the electricity fluctuations due to Lebanon's crappy electricity messed up the nvme ssd and erased the partition table because the problem happened both when the laptop was connected to the ups and when it wasn't connected. Also, the laptop's power adapter and battery can handle electricity fluctuations if they are not severe.

Is there something wrong with the motherboard or the nvme ssd like maybe it has a defective controller chip?

If the controller chip is truly defective then is it normal for it to erase the partition table after 7 months and then again after 10 months?

If the motherboard can erase the partition table of the nvme ssd then which hardware component can do that and how can it do that? I am worried that the motherboard replacement that I got is messing up the nvme ssd because I got problems with 2 different nvme ssds.

Last edited: