[SOLVED] Why is there a significant difference between single channel and dual channel memory mode?

Nov 19, 2020
I had this computer for a few years now. It had 6gb, 2 RAM sticks in it, a 2gb and a 4gb one. It ran basic games like cs:go and rocket league with great fps, like 60 and so. Recently I bought an 8gb one, single channel. Replaced the two. now just one single channel 8gb in it, but it now runs these same games poorly. Hardly can get 40 fps with the lowest settings. Why is it doing that, shouldn't it run them even better since i have even more memory? The 8gb ram is the same brand, same voltage, same speed as the other two. All of them are Crucial, DDR3, 1600 mhz, 1.5 v.

Dec 19, 2020
I have heard that ram speeds stacks. For example if you have dual channel 1400 mhz ram total sped is 2800mhz. Thats why you may see worst results.I'm not sure though about that it may not work like that.

Reactions: arnivitoka
Dec 19, 2020
Dual channel gives about 15-20% benefit over single channel.
(not 100% stack as in the above reply)
I'm not saying dual channel gives double performance in apps but i have been told the speed stacks like that and it translate in the 10-20 percent. Again i'm sure if the ram speed stacks.