[SOLVED] Why is there a useless hole in the Spec-05 case?

Akronox

Prominent
Dec 21, 2020
There's a hole in the top right of the case, and at first I figured it was the CPU plug hole, but when I install the motherboard it completely blocks it off, and I can't pass anything through that, so what's the purpose of the hole? Do I need to get taller standoffs for this hole to be functional?
Spec-05 Back Picture

Solution
If you're referring to the hole just above the lip that's above the PSU mounting location, it's to route the front panel audio and USB/buttons for the case. You would need to be careful/delicate with the cables, whereby you had them laid first before dropping the motherboard in.

If you had an matx motherboard, that cutout wouldn't be covered up. The cost of tooling to punch that hole out on an atx case doesn't cost much so they do it regardless of you wanting to put an atx or smaller motherboard. To note, the case does allow installation of mitx, matx and atx motherboards.

If you're referring to the top right hand corner...

Lutfij

Titan
If you're referring to the hole just above the lip that's above the PSU mounting location, it's to route the front panel audio and USB/buttons for the case. You would need to be careful/delicate with the cables, whereby you had them laid first before dropping the motherboard in.

If you had an matx motherboard, that cutout wouldn't be covered up. The cost of tooling to punch that hole out on an atx case doesn't cost much so they do it regardless of you wanting to put an atx or smaller motherboard. To note, the case does allow installation of mitx, matx and atx motherboards.

If you're referring to the top right hand corner,
30127151_1679784392103102_6512933375961989120_n.jpg

same practice applies, router wires first then drop in hardware. ^ Yes that's a build I got sponsored by Corsair to do. The album to that build is here.

Solution

Akronox

Prominent
Dec 21, 2020

If you're referring to the top right hand corner,
30127151_1679784392103102_6512933375961989120_n.jpg

same practice applies, router wires first then drop in hardware. ^ Yes that's a build I got sponsored by Corsair to do. The album to that build is here.

Oh.. so in order for that top right hole where the CPU cable is to work, I would need to route it first, then put the motherboard? If so, that answers the question, thanks for your help!