[SOLVED] Why is Windows only using 8 of my 14 CPU cores ?

wobstyr

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
I am getting this weird issue, happens with windows 10 and 11, I have a 14-core processor (i9-10940X) on a designare x299 ex motherboard, but it is only using 8 of them ?
I have 3NVME installed.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
....................... with windows 10 and 11, I have a 14core processor........................ but it is only using 8 of the cores.

Windows probably doesn't need more that eight cores to run efficiently so what you're seeing is probably normal.

Try a program that's designed to use all available cores by rendering a complex project in Adobe Premiere Pro or 3ds Max and checking the number of cores in use. If you can't do that then, as far as I know, Cinebench has the option for a multi-core stress test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

wobstyr

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
Windows probably doesn't need more that eight cores to run efficiently so what you're seeing is probably normal.

Try a program that's designed to use all available cores by rendering a complex project in Adobe Premiere Pro or 3ds Max and checking the number of cores in use. If you can't do that then, as far as I know, Cinebench has the option for a multi-core stress test.

yes, it uses all the cores in a memtest, I've used it on windows 10 for years with all the cores, I rebuilt the OS and now all of a sudden it wont see all the cores and I thought I would ask.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
OK, thanks for the reply but you are saying something different now. In your first post you said that Windows wasn't using all the cores and now you're saying "it wont see all the cores ". What is "it"? Task Manager only sees an eight-core CPU or something else?

wobstyr

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
Thank you for your reply,

This is what I mean.

Windows is only seeing 8 / 16 cores , but the CPU is a 14/28 cores CPU

8cores-only.png