Question Why isn't my m2 Samsung 860 EVO appearing in Windows or BIOS?

Feb 25, 2019
I recently picked up a Dell Inspiron 5575 on the cheap and decided to install an SSD to give it a bit more pep. I thought I did my compatibility research and went with an m2 Samsung 860 EVO as my SSD.

However, after seating it and being unable to find it in the BIOS or in Disk Management, I'm at a loss. I've flashed the BIOS and taken it out to re-seat it but to no avail.

On a Dell Forum thread, someone had a similar issue back in October and a reply said that this model only supports SSDs up to 512GB. Mine is 1TB, so I'm thinking that could be an issue, but I haven't read that 512 number anywhere else.

Any help would be appreciated:
Dell Inspiron 5575
Windows 10 64 bit
Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA M.2

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
I recently picked up a Dell Inspiron 5575 on the cheap and decided to install an SSD to give it a bit more pep. I thought I did my compatibility research and went with an m2 Samsung 860 EVO as my SSD.

Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA M.2

I think the spec for the M.2 slot on your laptop is:
Solid-state drive (M.2) NVMe Up to 512 GB
If you are correct that you bought a SATA drive it would not work even if it was 512GB.

Also see this about the slot keying:
https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...keyed-but-labeled-on-MOBO-as-SSD/td-p/6116159
The poster is correct that M.2 SSDs usually have 5 pins in the small group (M key) or 6 (B key). Many M.2 SSDs have both key types (one set each side) so they fit both B and M sockets.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019
I think the spec for the M.2 slot on your laptop is:
Solid-state drive (M.2) NVMe Up to 512 GB
If you are correct that you bought a SATA drive it would not work even if it was 512GB.

Also see this about the slot keying:
https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...keyed-but-labeled-on-MOBO-as-SSD/td-p/6116159
The poster is correct that M.2 SSDs usually have 5 pins in the small group (M key) or 6 (B key). Many M.2 SSDs have both key types (one set each side) so they fit both B and M sockets.

The thing is that the drive slotted in just fine, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of picking up the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB instead, but now I'm concerned about the slotting. Would the 970 slot correctly in this laptop?

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
The thing is that the drive slotted in just fine, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of picking up the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB instead, but now I'm concerned about the slotting. Would the 970 slot correctly in this laptop?

The 970 has an M key so like the 860 (B and M) it will fit into your socket but if the socket is the same as in the photo I linked it will leave one of the pins not connected. I don't know if that stops it working correctly.

You need to ask Dell or Samsung - or find someone who has used this combination of pins.

TRENDING THREADS