Why isn't my pc showing any image?

rafamengui1

Commendable
Jan 5, 2018
Hi, I'm trying to get back to life an old C2D E7500, 2GB DDR2, 500W Generic PSU computer, everything is fine, it turns on perfectly but it shows no image (like windows initiation logo screen and stuff).

I know none C2D has Integrated Graphics, neither does the MOBO: G31M-S (actually in the page it figures out 'Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100' but it ain't seems to work since the VGA cable doesn't shows any image at all).

THE IMPORTANT QUESTION:

I'm looking forward to a GT 1030, if I plug it, it should manage to show image, shouldn't it? Even tho it wasn't capable with the "mobo's integrated graphic".

Thanks you all!

Solution
- If you plug in a graphics card and hook the monitor up to it, it will turn off the integrated graphics if applicable.

- The GT 1030 may not work with that motherboard as 10 series cards require full UEFI BIOS support which wasn't implemented until years after C2D. You will know this as it will simply fail to boot.

- The GT 1030 doesn't accept VGA displays, it only works with DVI or HDMI. You may need a VGA to DVI convertor. It would also have to be an active adapter.

jr9

Estimable
- If you plug in a graphics card and hook the monitor up to it, it will turn off the integrated graphics if applicable.

- The GT 1030 may not work with that motherboard as 10 series cards require full UEFI BIOS support which wasn't implemented until years after C2D. You will know this as it will simply fail to boot.

- The GT 1030 doesn't accept VGA displays, it only works with DVI or HDMI. You may need a VGA to DVI convertor. It would also have to be an active adapter.

Solution

rafamengui1

Commendable
Jan 5, 2018

I have seen many users around and in my community using old 775 motherboards with NVIDIA's 10 Series, 1080ti on an old P5Q-E for example working just fine.

Are you sure the main problem would be the UEFI BIOS? Even tho they seem to work just fine.

UPDATE: In this post http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2946668/gtx-950-work-asrock-g31m.html it looks like a 950 gtx would perform in a G31M-S, shouldn't that be useful?

jr9

Estimable
I'm not saying it will or will not work, I'm saying it may work. It may work right away, it may completely fail to boot. I've seen both of these in real world cases mixing old and new hardware for people. I've seen someone but a 1070 GTX and try to put it in their Core i7 920 Gateway motherboard and have the PC completely fail to POST. This is a consequence of mixing old and new hardware, there are no guarantees. The only way to get any assurance is:

1. Find online someone with the exact same motherboard as you running the card from the same generation. If the have a Lenovo XYZ motherboard and someone online posts that they did a build with a 1050 Ti, then you know it probably will work.

2. Buy the card and hope it will work. You will know it doesn't if you get no video output on bootup. If it doesn't hope you can return it or hold on to it for the future.

1000 series cards are different from 900 series cards so a 950GTX working for someone is no guarantee that a 1030 will work for you in my book although it is a good sign. All I can say is it probably will work as 900 series cards also require UEFI.

If you buy the card and an active VGA to DVI/HDMI adapter (if your display only is analog VGA) I think you will be fine if someone got a 950 GTX to run on it, although I cannot say you WILL be fine as I do not have a G31M-S and a 10 series card on hand to test to verify this or can I find one posted anywhere.