Why Microsoft's New $99 Display Dock Could Be A Game Changer (Opinion)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not a USB expert or anything. But does the phone support mass storage over USB? I honestly have no idea what would happen if I plugged a USB flash drive into my phone ( I've never tried ). It will recognize storage over microSD, but I don't know about over USB. I imagine it would, but is there a size limit? Would other phones recognize a 2TB HDD on the other end of the USB cable? Do they support video output over USB? Do they even know how to output their screen over USB, or how to scale it to the resolution of the external display? Most phones have used mini HDMI to do this, so I don't know whether video over USB is a common task in most phones. Mouse support would be another thing I would guess most phones don't have. I realize at least the USB hub portion should work on just about anything, but that only extends the phone's existing USB capabilities to the extra ports.

There have been few other attempts at this before. The main hangup was software. Using the phone like this meant the phone stopped working as a phone. And the software ended up just being phone software on a bigger screen, not that great. This time around it will keep working as a phone while in use and the software actually looks usable. This isn't the sort of thing that will catch the world on fire though, but if it works well it could help it gain a following of office employees who like not having to lug around their laptops just give a powerpoint presentation.

I wasn't trying to make you out as an Apple apologist, Seth. ;) But no, I don't consider that Apple created the smartphone market. I don't think that honor goes to any singular phone because then you have to argue what was the first phone that truly had "smart" features versus who was the first that did it in critical and commercial success, etc. Of course then you have to define what makes something a smartphone. It sounds like you define it by apps on the phone. I think a smartphone is one that focuses first on managing personal information ( contacts, calendar items, communication ) and then makes that information available in a variety of ways. And I'm cool with not everyone agreeing with my definition.

I don't think Apple even established the market. I think the Treo and Blackberry did that by. Before them, I don't know of another phone that gave you such control over things like contact information, calendar and scheduling support, advanced messaging features, and in the Treo's case, a color touchscreen. All that information could be readily backed up and synced to a desktop ( and people have wondered why I've never sent out one of those, "I broke/upgraded my phone and need everyone's number again!" messages in the last ten years ) meaning it was reflected in your personal MS Office or Lotus suite system. Look at iOS' DNA and you'll see it descends from Palm.

Yes, some of the early Windows CE and Windows Mobile devices had problems. MS licensed the software, but didn't require a minimum hardware spec, so the manufacturers often made the cheapest phones they could. This often left you with a very underpowered device. Around WinMo 5, things got a lot better. I had a friend with the Samsung i730 that was a great phone. It never felt sluggish and I really wanted one, but it wasn't on Verizon. Then MS hit a homerun with WinMo 6. I got a Samsung i760 and in some ways it's still the best phone I ever had.

I think it's arguable the iPhone took the smartphone mainstream ( does this make me a smartphone hipster? Damn it all... ). Of course, this all comes down to what your personal definition of "creating a market" and "establishing a market," so po-tay-to, po-tah-to. But, if it's mainly about the apps, then yes, Apple was great in making their App Store. You could of course get other applications on other smartphones before the iPhone, but compatibility wasn't assured, and finding them was often a problem. A central distribution point of apps that were guaranteed to work on your phone was a very "smart" idea.

InvalidError

Titan

The Android Open Source Project includes all the basic hardware support from the regular Linux kernel, which means practically all standard USB device classes which are relevant to mobile devices. If your Android phone/tablet/netbook is missing support for a standard USB device, it probably got edited out by the device manufacturer. One feature frequently removed from Android is support for Microsoft file systems to avoid licensing fees.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
USBGO (USB3.? Is bidirectional) aslong as android does not block it. Android has desktop ability but it's apps thst have to support. Unbuntu has mobile desktop app modes but never released a Ubuntu on Android as aftermarket after showing off yeats ago, not even a preinstalled version. There should br a campaing to have a full Linux sandboxed on Android with mobile and desktop modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.