[SOLVED] Why my display is black when my display card is enabled?

Dec 5, 2020
I am running a windows 10 and today there suddenly was a glitch on my screen and everything became distorted. I restarted the pc via power cable and upon coming back up I see only a black. If I boot to safe mode I can disable the display card and login to my windows again but while the card is enabled I cannot see anything but black. I am connected through an HDMI port. I am able to get into windows as long as the driver is disabled.

My chip is R9 290x AMD.
ddu verion : 18.0.3.4
mother board : ASUS ROG Z390
psu : EVGA 500 BR, 80+ BRONZE 500W
ram : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

What do you think I should do to get my graphics card back?

So far I have done :
  1. Cleaning the board and reapplication of thermal paste
  2. used DDU in safe mod.
  3. Attempted to install different version of the driver.

Last edited:
Solution
It had been working for more than a year with the same set up . I hardly doubt the problem is related to PSU.
well here is what happened to me.I hbought a r9 380 4gb back in december 2019 which requires a 500W psu.I bought a 10$ 500W psu to replace my OEM one,because i didnt know much about pc's back then and all i was looking for back then was wattage,which is not the way to go.The card worked for about 3 months,when one day i was playing csgo and then boom,no signal and shut off.I thought it was my gpu honestly, until my uncle didnt give me a 700W unit and guess what,it worked!
All im saying is that the thing that happened to me might be happening to u.Is there someone u know that has a stronger power supply,so u can go to...
Dec 5, 2020
the r9 290x suggests a 600W psu.You have a 500W unit
It had been working for more than a year with the same set up . I hardly doubt the problem is related to PSU.

I just check the requirements and 550~600 Watt power supply unit is asked for this chipset. Mine is 500+80 so I think I am well above the limit and as I mentioned the chip was running smoothly up until the point of glitch.

Last edited:
well here is what happened to me.I hbought a r9 380 4gb back in december 2019 which requires a 500W psu.I bought a 10$ 500W psu to replace my OEM one,because i didnt know much about pc's back then and all i was looking for back then was wattage,which is not the way to go.The card worked for about 3 months,when one day i was playing csgo and then boom,no signal and shut off.I thought it was my gpu honestly, until my uncle didnt give me a 700W unit and guess what,it worked!
All im saying is that the thing that happened to me might be happening to u.Is there someone u know that has a stronger power supply,so u can go to them and test the card?

Solution
Dec 5, 2020
All im saying is that the thing that happened to me might be happening to u.Is there someone u know that has a stronger power supply,so u can go to them and test the card?

Valid point. I will take it to a repair shop and ask them to try it. Is it possible that through time the psu produces less power?

Valid point. I will take it to a repair shop and ask them to try it. Is it possible that through time the psu produces less power?
Yes, age degradation. Also, just because you were running fine for 1 year doesn't mean that you would continue running fine for another one, or even another day.
Using a lower wattage psu than recommended is only ok if the PSU is of very good quality. EVGA BR is somewhat mediocre PSU.

I suspect that the GPU is on its last legs and even with a proper psu will not get back alive.

Dec 5, 2020
Borrowed a CORSAIR CX650 650W 80+ Bronze PSU from a friend of mine and unfortunately as suspected the results were the same. May I assume at this point that the chip is beyond redemption and I must replace it? Can there be any repair of sort?

Dec 5, 2020
Hardly a repair,i think its over for the GPU.
What baffles me is the fact that I can see up until the logo of windows loading and then I get black screen. Does the GPU take over inside windows or is it active throughout the windows loading including the logo? My HDMI is connected to the graphics card so the output is received through it.

What baffles me is the fact that I can see up until the logo of windows loading and then I get black screen. Does the GPU take over inside windows or is it active throughout the windows loading including the logo? My HDMI is connected to the graphics card so the output is received through it.
That means that the card is definitelly picking up video signal,since it posted,and that leads me to believe there are some other problems.Do what it says here,it might help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3za5fsfYftQ