Question Why my Ram kit of Kingston Fury HyperX not running at its advertised cl16 ?

May 27, 2023
Hi !

I bought a kit of ram ddr4 Kingston Fury HyperX 3200Mhz CL16 (8*2) , and when I tried to set the Xmp profil in the Bios I've found out there wasn't not Xmp profil for this kit , previously I used to run 12Gb perfectly with Xmp profil besides them being from different brands (8+4) , so I assumed this new kit doesn't have an Xmp profil on it for that reason and because it's running at the 3200Mhz as it supposed to be , but the problem is that when I open
CPU-Z it says that it's running at the slowest Cas Latency "22" ?
*My motherboard is Biostar B660 Mx-e pro and it handles overclocking above 3800Mhz
*My Cpu is an i5-12400F that it says at there website that it can run up to 3200MT/S for DDR4
* Note : I'm running the two sticks in A2 &B2 slots as recommended

- So my question is why is it running at the right speed and not the right CL ? and is there a way to fix this without overclocking , since it's advertised to run at 3200Mhz CL16 with no overclocking mentioned ?

May 27, 2023
I'd suggest looking up the exact module/kit specifications (it'll be letters/numbers like this: HX432C16FB3K2/16), because most do have XMP profiles. When you look at the SPD tab of CPU-Z in the timings table does it just show JEDEC?
Thanks for the reply !

- Well the kit specifications serial (letters/nulbers) is : HX432C16FB3 /8
-
And yes when I look at the SPD tab of CPU-Z it just shows JEDEC , I have tried to upload a picture but I don't know how it works here but yeah it just shows JEDEC no Xmp profile same on the bios interface ..
- I also tried enabling an option in my Bios called "Real-life memory timing" with Default memory profil and custom profil ( since the xmp profil not showing with this kit ) but still showing the same timing

That's really weird that the XMP profiles aren't showing up. The serial number comes up as a single 8GB stick, but as long as both sticks are the same I don't really think that'll matter. If you're using two different types of sticks (even if they're both 3200 CL16) that could explain the lack of XMP.

This is what the Kingston data sheet shows:
FACTORY TIMING PARAMETERS
• Default (JEDEC): DDR4-2400 CL17-17-17 @1.2V
• XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18 @1.35V
• XMP Profile #2: DDR4-3000 CL15-17-17 @1.35V

You could manually set the timing/voltage, but that won't have all of the sub timings and the data sheet doesn't show any of that.

Reactions: Marlon-31
May 27, 2023
That's really weird that the XMP profiles aren't showing up. The serial number comes up as a single 8GB stick, but as long as both sticks are the same I don't really think that'll matter. If you're using two different types of sticks (even if they're both 3200 CL16) that could explain the lack of XMP.

This is what the Kingston data sheet shows:
FACTORY TIMING PARAMETERS
• Default (JEDEC): DDR4-2400 CL17-17-17 @1.2V
• XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18 @1.35V
• XMP Profile #2: DDR4-3000 CL15-17-17 @1.35V

You could manually set the timing/voltage, but that won't have all of the sub timings and the data sheet doesn't show any of that.
Yeah that's actually weird , I've been reading on internet and most people having issues with their RAM speed and /or Xmp profile not applying correctly , but in my case the speed frenquency is rated correctly at 3200Mhz without applying any profile just seems like a default JEDEC profile and only the timings being messed up somehow so can't figuer out why Xmp profile isn't allowing to be enabled , I'm really confused ...
And please can you explain more on how I can fix that manually in the safest way possible , I don't wanna mess things up any worse , and you mentioned sub timings what are those exactly ? are they hard to set up or figuer out correctly ?

Edit : I forgot to mention that I'm using both same sticks model , same brand and I've just checked they have same serial number & letters but you're right they come up as a single 8Gb instead of (8*2) and in two separate plastic boxes , I don't know if that makes any difference

Last edited:
With your sticks running at 3200 already we can assume the sub timings are stable (at least right now) but may not be optimal. Lowering the primary timings will net you an improvement over what you have now. I'd suggest just starting out with that and manually set your sticks to what's rated for in XMP: CL16-tRCD18-tRP18 @1.35V. I've not been able to find the tRAS for those sticks, but as long as it's 36-38 already that should be fine.

Yeah that's actually weird , I've been reading on internet and most people having issues with their RAM speed and /or Xmp profile not applying correctly , but in my case the speed frenquency is rated correctly at 3200Mhz without applying any profile just seems like a default JEDEC profile and only the timings being messed up somehow so can't figuer out why Xmp profile isn't allowing to be enabled , I'm really confused ...
And please can you explain more on how I can fix that manually in the safest way possible , I don't wanna mess things up any worse , and you mentioned sub timings what are those exactly ? are they hard to set up or figuer out correctly ?
Suggest you download these 2 programs
and

May 27, 2023
With your sticks running at 3200 already we can assume the sub timings are stable (at least right now) but may not be optimal. Lowering the primary timings will net you an improvement over what you have now. I'd suggest just starting out with that and manually set your sticks to what's rated for in XMP: CL16-tRCD18-tRP18 @1.35V. I've not been able to find the tRAS for those sticks, but as long as it's 36-38 already that should be fine.
Thank you guys for the help , I appreciate that a lot
Also is there any optimal way to test the stability after doing that ?

May 27, 2023
Suggest you download these 2 programs
and
Thank you again !
PS : Would the second program work with intel CPUs and motherboards since it's mentioned as a Ryzen Calculator ? cause I have an i5-12400F cpu

Thank you guys for the help , I appreciate that a lot
Also is there any optimal way to test the stability after doing that ?
Thank you again !
PS : Would the second program work with intel CPUs and motherboards since it's mentioned as a Ryzen Calculator ? cause I have an i5-12400F cpu
Should work as XMP is an Intel invention and settings are fairly standard under JEDEC.
As for memory tests to check memory itself
memtest86-usb
and

Edit : I forgot to mention that I'm using both same sticks model , same brand and I've just checked they have same serial number & letters but you're right they come up as a single 8Gb instead of (8*2) and in two separate plastic boxes , I don't know if that makes any difference
So you do not have a kit you have 2 separate sticks and the best settings the bios can find to get these 2 sticks to play nice together is cl22.

You might want to see if there is a bios update for the mobo or send the sticks back and buy a kit.

May 27, 2023
So you do not have a kit you have 2 separate sticks and the best settings the bios can find to get these 2 sticks to play nice together is cl22.

You might want to see if there is a bios update for the mobo or send the sticks back and buy a kit.
1- So what's considered to be a kit ? Cause they seem identical in everything even in the serial numbers but they come in separate boxes , but as I mentioned before at the of their refference it shows "/8" so I don't know if this means it's for a 8Gb single stick and "/16" stands for a kit of 8*2 , or it just reffers to amount of "Gb" it comes with ?
2- I updated the Bios already and nothing changed

May 27, 2023
Should work as XMP is an Intel invention and settings are fairly standard under JEDEC.
As for memory tests to check memory itself
memtest86-usb
and
So what should I do before testing stability ? Should I tighten timings manualy ?
If so which timings should I change ? I'm also cofused with what's sub timing is

1- So what's considered to be a kit ? Cause they seem identical in everything even in the serial numbers but they come in separate boxes , but as I mentioned before at the of their refference it shows "/8" so I don't know if this means it's for a 8Gb single stick and "/16" stands for a kit of 8*2 , or it just reffers to amount of "Gb" it comes with ?
2- I updated the Bios already and nothing changed
A kit will come as all sticks in one pkg.

You might want to contact kingston and ask why there is no xmp in the timing tables.

If you want to post an image at this site send the image to imgur and then post a link to the image.

Last edited:
May 27, 2023
You could try just having 1 stick in and see if XMP appears then and if it does you'll know you need to return the memory and get a kit as advised above.
Okay I'll check that , but what's confusing me is that the speed is working at the rated speed without xmp and on Taiphoon software it says Xmp not programmed on both of the ram sticks , if it has Xmp that's not enabled it should run at a much lower speed at least theoretically , which is not the case , but I will do what you suggested , thanks for the advices

if it has Xmp that's not enabled it should run at a much lower speed at least theoretically , which is not the case
Not necessarily. If the stick has JEDEC entry for 3200 MHz motherboard could use that even without XMP.

There, actually your screenshot form CPU-Z shows that it has such JEDEC entry. It works as intended here. The only problem is lack of XMP.

May 27, 2023
Not necessarily. If the stick has JEDEC entry for 3200 MHz motherboard could use that even without XMP.

There, actually your screenshot form CPU-Z shows that it has such JEDEC entry. It works as intended here. The only problem is lack of XMP.
I see now what you mean ... So what can I hope from this now , should I tweak timings manually ? if so what timings should tweak , primary only ?