[SOLVED] Why My Ryzen 2600 doesn't boost properly while gaming

Jun 18, 2019
Every YT video testing ryzen 2600 shows clock speed at 3750 MHZ all cores (sometimes 3800) while gaming. Mine just go to 3650 and don't undestand why.
I have tested almost everything appears in internet without success. I hope you guys could help me this time.

MoBo: MSI Tomahawk

RAM: G.Skill 3000 Mhz

GTX 1050 Ti

Solution
Your GTX1050Ti is well beyond fully saturated anyway; the extra 100 MHz and corresponding .1 fps gains would likely not be noticeable anyway....

(Plan instead the upgrade to a 1660Ti , 2060, or 5700, etc...; then you can worry about a 2 fps gain with added CPU boost...)
That's a pretty entry level video card. The higher the frame rates your system is pumping out, the harder your CPU has to work to keep the graphics card busy. With that entry level graphics card though, it's possible your CPU simply doesn't have to work very hard to keep the load on the graphics card. In that situation, the CPU won't engage PBO and you won't see those high frequencies... there's simply no need for them.

I'd be checking your GPU usage with something like MSI afterburner. If it's sitting consistently in the high 90s, then your system is performing exactly as expected.

Jun 18, 2019
That's a pretty entry level video card. The higher the frame rates your system is pumping out, the harder your CPU has to work to keep the graphics card busy. With that entry level graphics card though, it's possible your CPU simply doesn't have to work very hard to keep the load on the graphics card. In that situation, the CPU won't engage PBO and you won't see those high frequencies... there's simply no need for them.

I'd be checking your GPU usage with something like MSI afterburner. If it's sitting consistently in the high 90s, then your system is performing exactly as expected.
Yes it's in the high 90s all time. I didn't think about that but it makes sense. Thank you!

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
If you are using the stock cooler its probably not boosting as high due to temperatures. What are your CPU temps like when gaming? Are you running a negative voltage offset? PBO throws a ton of voltage at the CPU and sends temps through the roof if you don't dial in a negative voltage offset. The wraith stealth is also pretty terrible for a 6 core Ryzen.

Aug 13, 2019
I can also OC it to 4Ghz but honestly that's not even the point, some reviews saying that it's all core boost is 3675. My guess is that people boosting to 3750 or even more have PBO enabled something which is at broken state with current MSI bios. B450-A Pro and Tomahawk have the same VRM phase with the only exception of the heatsink but VRM temps aren't even close to 55 (50 max during aida stress test)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625.html , here's the link of the review of 2600

Jun 18, 2019
I can also OC it to 4Ghz but honestly that's not even the point, some reviews saying that it's all core boost is 3675. My guess is that people boosting to 3750 or even more have PBO enabled something which is at broken state with current MSI bios. B450-A Pro and Tomahawk have the same VRM phase with the only exception of the heatsink but VRM temps aren't even close to 55 (50 max during aida stress test)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625.html , here's the link of the review of 2600
I totally agree with you. I was just frustrated by spending 6 month looking for a solution that didn't find so decided to do that

Your GTX1050Ti is well beyond fully saturated anyway; the extra 100 MHz and corresponding .1 fps gains would likely not be noticeable anyway....

(Plan instead the upgrade to a 1660Ti , 2060, or 5700, etc...; then you can worry about a 2 fps gain with added CPU boost...)

Solution