Oct 22, 2019
I'm running Rx 590 with thermaltake Smart modu 630W
It's been 1year that i upgraded my gpu and psu.
I don't thing I ever faced this kind of problem before.
When I work with the scene in blender eevee with volumetric tiles size 2px and export 8k maps from substance painter with filter turned on my pc restarts.
In blender 2px tiles size is higher and 4px.
But 2px doesn't cause any restart. And in substance painter 4/2k export doesn't cause any restart, neither 8k if i turn off those filters.

These restarts are like hard restart, like pulling out the power cable and putting it back.
I tried stressing the gpu and gpu using furmark, heaven benchmark and others but pc didn't restart.
Also i turned down the power usage for the gpu to 50% and still it's restarting.

I installed my gpu and psu to another system and still it's restarted. (That system is almost same as mine, so can't tell if it's hardware-hardware combination issue.

I noticed that when wattage spikes in blender and SP while exporting pc restarts. But that doesn't explain anything. I mean in another software like Marmoset toolbag spikes upto 185W but pc doesn't restart. Also my temps are fine for both cpu and gpu.

My pc spec
I5 6400
Gigabyte h110m ddr3
16gb of dual stick ram
Sapphire rx590 8gb oc edition
Thermaltake smart modu 630W

Please help me out here
I'm facing two different kind of problem in same month

This is off topic i think but for some reason but UPS are becoming faulty, is there any chance that my pc can cause this? Whenever power. Goes off pc runs on ups battery, and when power comes back pc turns off, this happens 5 out of 10 times.

I'm sure UPS has become faulty cause it used to make a click sound whenever voltage spikes, but now it doesn't, but sometimes without any voltage spiking ups makes that clicking sound and pc restart. This happened to both of my ups in same system and same wall plug. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Or any chance that PSU damaging ups?

Please help me out here
Thanks in advance.

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Helping with the side issue at least temporarily, what is your UPS? It might have a life span that it's beginning to reach. How often does your system default to the backup battery system?

What version of blender are you using, what GPU driver version are you using, and what operating system version?

Oct 22, 2019
Helping with the side issue at least temporarily, what is your UPS? It might have a life span that it's beginning to reach. How often does your system default to the backup battery system?

What version of blender are you using, what GPU driver version are you using, and what operating system version?
That 1200va one is not even 1y old and 650va onek is 3y old.
And now I'm running blender 2.81 with recommend gpu driver, i tried different version of gpu driver still the problem exists.
I'm running windows 10 1903. Maybe i forgot to mention that i also installed linux still pc restarted over these, so I'm sure it's not windows issue.

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
For your graphical drivers, have you checked with the GPU manufacturers website for the specific driver version that they recommend? It isn't always the most recent, but it's the one that they've confirmed works. I would try that. Use the GPU Driver Cleaning guide here in the GPU section.

The 1200va (you didn't provide a specific one so I went to a few different sellers) seems to have an issue after the first power surge usually. Lots of poor reviews for the actual maintaining of a system after a surge.

When you installed Linux, was it before or after this issue occured?

Have you tried restoring your blender preferences to defaults? Are there any special codecs used when exporting the specific files that cause the issue? It could be that these codecs have become corrupted and are causing an issue.

Edit: You could run HWiNFO64 and create a log file that works up until the crash so that you can monitor the hardware sensors and look for a trend that is out of the ordinary.

Oct 22, 2019
For your graphical drivers, have you checked with the GPU manufacturers website for the specific driver version that they recommend? It isn't always the most recent, but it's the one that they've confirmed works. I would try that. Use the GPU Driver Cleaning guide here in the GPU section.

The 1200va (you didn't provide a specific one so I went to a few different sellers) seems to have an issue after the first power surge usually. Lots of poor reviews for the actual maintaining of a system after a surge.

When you installed Linux, was it before or after this issue occured?

Have you tried restoring your blender preferences to defaults? Are there any special codecs used when exporting the specific files that cause the issue? It could be that these codecs have become corrupted and are causing an issue.

Edit: You could run HWiNFO64 and create a log file that works up until the crash so that you can monitor the hardware sensors and look for a trend that is out of the ordinary.
Thank you very much for your reply.
The ups is powerguard 1200va ups, also that 650va is also from powerguard.

And I have installed Linux after this restart problem occurred. Just wanted to be sure that this isn't a software driver or even Windows issue.
I have tried too many versions of GPU driver like oldest newest everything.
in Linux the graphics card driver downloaded automatically and I downloaded blender 2.8 for testing astill pc restarted over there,
Couple of days ago I ran OOCT for almost 1hour, heaven benchmark for hours couple of time but those doesn't cause pc to restart.
OCCT use furmark for stress testing that pulls 185 watt from my card still pc is stable.
I turned down the gpu power usage to 50% just for testing and still it caused pc to restart, No bluescreen or anything, just like pulling the plug out and pulling it back in. (Windows event viewer shows kernal 41 error)
Since the pc didn't restart after stress testing, so i just took a screenshot.
In link below you can see the result.
Oh and another thing lets forget about for all the test they have done in a local shop just by swapping parts.
I tested my graphics card and power supply in a full working PC. Though that system is almost same as mine. (So I don't know if I'm having any hardware-hardware compatibility issues)
And still that caused pc to restart. The PC I have tested myself has no good power supply or even a graphics card so I couldn't test my graphics card with that power supply.but my PC is isnt crashing under heavy load so this shouldn't be a power supply issue right?

Edit : about the UPS keep this aside. Just tell me that by any chance can power supply Damaged UPS? It's not likely but just want to be sure
https://blenderartists.org/uploads/.../f0711263c8778a835ba74bdeabddfe53198b243e.png

Last edited:

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
If operating properly, a pure sine UPS shouldn't damage any equipment and should even have 'cleaner' power than plugging your PC directly into the wall or into a cheap power strip. I'm curious in what way the UPS in the comments was faulty - if it was, for example, damaged by a power surge... odds are the computer would have been damaged either way. Also unclear if that failure happened while the UPS was on battery power, because otherwise they basically just act as a glorified power strip (and I assume surge protector but I haven't personally tested one to check). Plus, CPU+GPU being fried sounds more like damage caused by an internal PC power supply failing than what you would find in a UPS. In either case, many surge protectors offer warranty coverage for damaged equipment, so be sure to fill out that warranty card!

In terms of wattage, if your computer is using a true 600 Watts, than 650 Watts is a little close for comfort, and you should should consider getting a higher rated UPS. However, if your internal PSU is merely rated at 600 Watts, then your computer isn't likely to be using that much power (probably more like 300-400W, and 650 Watts should be fine in that case.
You generally want your power supplies rated to at a higher wattage than the actual amount of power you plan on using, as they will run cooler and more efficiently.

I've had an issue with games failing on me like this and causing a computer crash, I had fixed it by running the computer into compatibility mode. Though that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Could you back track your Blender version to see if the problem persists on an older (more stable?) version?

Reactions: Utsho
Oct 22, 2019

I've had an issue with games failing on me like this and causing a computer crash, I had fixed it by running the computer into compatibility mode. Though that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Could you back track your Blender version to see if the problem persists on an older (more stable?) version?
Only blender 2.8+ has eevee (real time engine)
Before 2.79 blender had no real time engine, And this problem is weird. Like i said before only 4px in that specific scene causing pc to restart, i created another scene just for testing, changed the tiles size to 4px, also tried all tiles size but that doesn't cause any restart.
I sent the scene file that causing my pc to restart to my friend, who's running gtx 1050ti and other components are not same as mine didn't face any restart.
By any chance can this be a hardware-hardware compatible issue?
Like I'm using a powerful gpu with 6th gen not even ddr4 but ddr3 non-gaming Motherboard?
Maybe this is me first time who's facing weird issue like this, i saw so many bad combination of hardware, maybe worst than me, but they never faced anything like this, (those were Just for gaming, not for these blender/8k map exporting things)

Edit : about that ups, I'm saying totally opposite thing of what he said in the comment, I'm asking that can a PSU damage the UPS? Ups is giving power to the PSU but not getting any so this isn't possible?

Last edited:

zanewatson6319

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
I don't see as to why the PSU would damage the UPS. The UPS provides a cleaner power to the PSU and can only provide what it can provide. In the event of the PSU pulling more than the UPS can provide, it just wouldn't occur. If there is a chance, I have not heard of it :)

Could you potentially recreate the Real Time engine on another application and see if something of a similar nature occurs? I don't see a natural incompatibility in hardware, and even then, why would that only effect this one circumstance?

It seems to me that this is just an issue with the engine. Could there be a supported software component that isn't up to date? IE: Microsoft Direct X with Games, but something that this engine needs?

Oct 22, 2019
I don't see as to why the PSU would damage the UPS. The UPS provides a cleaner power to the PSU and can only provide what it can provide. In the event of the PSU pulling more than the UPS can provide, it just wouldn't occur. If there is a chance, I have not heard of it :)

Could you potentially recreate the Real Time engine on another application and see if something of a similar nature occurs? I don't see a natural incompatibility in hardware, and even then, why would that only effect this one circumstance?

It seems to me that this is just an issue with the engine. Could there be a supported software component that isn't up to date? IE: Microsoft Direct X with Games, but something that this engine needs?
Hmm let's keep that UPS problem aside.
And about that blender and substance painter restart problem, everything is up to date, Software, driver, windows. Also i tried different version of software and gpu driver, still same.
I created another scene added volumetric and changed the tiles size to 4px, also tried other tiles size but didn't face any restart.
Yesterday and today i played games for almost 6-7hours, but didn't faced any restart problem.
Like i said nothing is causing restart unless those 2 things, even Marmoset toolbag (real time engine) use more powerful and gpu and hungry than blender eevee, this thing almost use 185Watt from the gpu still doesn't cause any restart.
So if we can't figure the problem out then I'm guessing i have nothing else to do other than live with it.