May 23, 2023
Getting some odd feedback from Why so slow about heat, and processor load.
I've been having some lock ups and random occasional bsods with Dcom errors in event viewer. Heat of cpu is reported as 78C and for some reason load is reported as 88.6% Avg. Though that is new from yesterdays report. Kernal responsiveness is reported as .007 ms. Yesterday reported heat was at 80C load was average normal ranges, it did report a slow Kernal response time. I've dug around the forums a little and seen that the AMD is not very accurate at reporting heat, the board is a little warm also by touch. I unfortunately lost a connector that also drove the rear fan in my case. I added two fans to the top of the chassis, seems it's not enough however. I'll obviously clean the case out again and buy a new PSU asap. I'm sure it's due for a cleaning and the system is old, but is there some way to get more accurate temp readings in the meantime for this CPU? All Drivers are current as are windows updates, are the Dcom events likely linked to this issue? Ideally, it's about time to upgrade to a new system but that's not an option at the present for me. Would a cheap water cooler upgrade possibly help anything with this system?

MSI 970A-G43 MB
Nvidia 750 ti
16.0 GB Ripsaw Ram
AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor @ 4.20 GHz
Ares 500 W PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Solution
I've been having some lock ups and random occasional bsods with Dcom errors in event viewer. Heat of cpu is reported as 78C and for some reason load is reported as 88.6% Avg. Though that is new from yesterdays report. Kernal responsiveness is reported as .007 ms. Yesterday reported heat was at 80C load was average normal ranges, it did report a slow Kernal response time. I've dug around the forums a little and seen that the AMD is not very accurate at reporting heat, the board is a little warm also by touch. I unfortunately lost a connector that also drove the rear fan in my case. I added two fans to the top of the chassis, seems it's not enough however...
I've been having some lock ups and random occasional bsods with Dcom errors in event viewer. Heat of cpu is reported as 78C and for some reason load is reported as 88.6% Avg. Though that is new from yesterdays report. Kernal responsiveness is reported as .007 ms. Yesterday reported heat was at 80C load was average normal ranges, it did report a slow Kernal response time. I've dug around the forums a little and seen that the AMD is not very accurate at reporting heat, the board is a little warm also by touch. I unfortunately lost a connector that also drove the rear fan in my case. I added two fans to the top of the chassis, seems it's not enough however. I'll obviously clean the case out again and buy a new PSU asap. I'm sure it's due for a cleaning and the system is old, but is there some way to get more accurate temp readings in the meantime for this CPU? All Drivers are current as are windows updates, are the Dcom events likely linked to this issue? Ideally, it's about time to upgrade to a new system but that's not an option at the present for me. Would a cheap water cooler upgrade possibly help anything with this system?

MSI 970A-G43 MB
Nvidia 750 ti
16.0 GB Ripsaw Ram
Ares 500 W PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Which SW are you using to measure temps ? There are 2 temperatures to consider, Core temp (up to 60c) and Package up to 90c max.
Use this for most accurate readings
and/or HWinfo.

Reactions: IllegalTendencies

MSI 970A-G43 MB
Nvidia 750 ti
16.0 GB Ripsaw Ram
Ares 500 W PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
There is no way to accurately report actual processor temps on FX processors. It's a known issue with many saying only a motherboard with a processor socket sensor can do it. That's true, but that's also not actual core temp but a case temperature, at best, which is something much lower than Tdie. So, AMD gives us a max operating temp for FX-4350 of 61C with no good way to measure it.

So, the temps you're seeing are (at best) inferred from processor telemetry and if done well enough, 78-80C range is mostly likely going to be a delta of ~18 degrees to the (very) bad side as you'll see in AMD's overdrive utility. If you've been seeing those kinds of temperatures reported from a motherboard socket sensor for any significant length of time I'm surprised your CPU is still functioning at all, actually.

BTW, AMD Overdrive reflects AMD giving up on reporting temperature and instead providing a "thermal margin" which seems to be the difference between die temperature they infer using an algorithm and the 61C max operating temperature. HWInfo64 (if you use that) uses a similar algorithm that seems to give an inferred Tdie that matches closely but you'll have to do the math to calculate a "thermal margin".

At any rate, temps running that high for a long time mean the CPU is quite likely unstable if not degraded which means it could be corrupting OS data. It may need a clean install to fix or just lower CPU temps...whichever it is you have to solve the cooling problem first. Case cooling may be a problem but almost definitely much more and better CPU cooling is also needed.

Simply opening the case to allow cool air in will offset the lack of adequate case fans. At the least, that helps you narrow the cooling problems down before investing in any hardware.

What CPU cooler are you using?
Is it's fan operating, and hi speed?
Have you checked mounting and reapplied thermal paste?

Last edited:
Solution
May 23, 2023
So cleaning the case helped a lot it seems like. I'm running the stock air cooler. Why so slow now reports everything is in normal operating ranges. I'll run the AMD app asap. I'll have to order some thermal paste before I can run the system much. The information is very helpful thanks for the quick responses.

I unfortunately lost a connector that also drove the rear fan in my case. I added two fans to the top of the chassis, seems it's not enough however.

MSI 970A-G43 MB
Nvidia 750 ti
16.0 GB Ripsaw Ram
Ares 500 W PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
The added fans at the top of the chassis should be oriented to blow air out of the top of the chassis. Hopefully, you already did this.