Why Wait? Sandy Bridge CPUs Are On Sale Now

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I just upgraded to 1366 CPU computer in Aug. & I'm set for at least another 3 years. It replaced a 5 year old computer...

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I might be dropping Intel for good now. This LGA 1155 feels to me like a "we can take a crap on your head all we want and you'll still buy our stuff". Now they're not even trying to pretend they won't change their sockets regularly for no other reason than making you buy a new mobo everytime you want a processor upgrade.

[citation][nom]LuigiVN[/nom]Guys, Intel CPUs are also made in COsta Rica, this means that sandy bridge are also avaliable in Costa rica?[/citation]

They used to be made in the US and Ireland through to the end of the 90s then every thing nails and all went overseas except for some of the big fabs. Likely it might be available but every thing is sucked in the oem holes and the giant retail chains. You may have to wait like very one else but I wouldn't buy them due to "turbo" only instead of normal overclocking.

f-14

Distinguished
The Intel Core i7-2600 rolls in a speed of 3.4GHz with a price tag o $301, followed by the Core i5-2400 with the processing power
of 3.1GHz and price of $195 while the Intel Core i5-2300 delivers a 2.8GHz processing speed with a price tag of $188.

still not gonna buy one

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]I might be dropping Intel for good now. This LGA 1155 feels to me like a "we can take a crap on your head all we want and you'll still buy our stuff". Now they're not even trying to pretend they won't change their sockets regularly for no other reason than making you buy a new mobo everytime you want a processor upgrade.[/citation]
probably has something to do with the expired intel-nvidia lisc. agreements and tech sharing.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
foscooter writes:
> Better than P55, IMHO.

Based on what evidence? Unless you're using more than 2 GPUs,
there's no major gain from X58, and P55 does not suffer from
the missing-RAM problem which afflicts X58 boards (as a friend
of mine who owns a 920 system said to me, "Just look on Google
about missing RAM chips on X58 systems").

Indeed, I've been getting better results with my P55 setup then
many X58 results I've seen (i7 870 @ 4270, 4GB DDR3/2030 RAM,
two EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI).

Ian.

Haiku214

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
These people who are bashing Sandybridge really has not done any research.

1. "Why do people buy this crap which is not a revolutionary compared to Nehalem?" - Same reason as why people still upgraded to Nehalem from core2duo/core2quad CPUs
2. "The i7 920 will still be faster than SB." - Lol! The i7 2600K is faster than ALL i7's except for the 6 core ones...at only $300.
3. People who have Nehalem should not buy SB. People who had core2duo/quad may buy it. Period.

eque

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
live in m'sia, got the chip. don't have benchmarks for share, but the integrated graphics seem to be as good as a 4650.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
I'll stick with my i7 920 until native USB3 and SATA3 or even light peak is available.
It's still fast enough for my games and whatever I throw at it.
BTW, their boss told me they cannot sell anymore till 4th of Jan if I'm not mistaken, cause Intel is threatening to sue them for distributing them before launch date LOL

amillion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]Before you get too excited about this new processor...do your research on the "remote kill switch" which is included as a "security feature" in these processors. The question is...how do you turn off the processor? and who has access to the big red button. Read the article on the UK banning certain illicit content and you can see where I am going with this. If they don't like what you are doing with your machine...could they just shut you off remotely?[/citation]

... there's quite a few people in our office I'd like to shut down remotely ...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]xyzionz[/nom]I'll stick with my i7 920 until native USB3 and SATA3 or even light peak is available.It's still fast enough for my games and whatever I throw at it.BTW, their boss told me they cannot sell anymore till 4th of Jan if I'm not mistaken, cause Intel is threatening to sue them for distributing them before launch date LOL[/citation]
You'd be better off waiting for the end of 2011 to do any upgrading, that's when the 2011 socket comes out which is aimed at higher end gamers. 1155 is considered mainstream, however, because I'm already in the market for a new PC to replace my ancient dual core PC a 2600k is going to be perfect. Priced right if it does indeed come to $300-350, and should be able to be overclocked to 4.5Ghz.

I'd love to wait for 2011 chips with USB 3.0 native support and quad channel memory, but my PC sucks and I'm not about to wait another year to replace it!

G

Gosh, when will Intel ever stop changing the socket so often??? Make something that can last a little bit longer please!! I'm really tired of changing the whole motherboard whenever I just want to upgrade the CPU.

amillion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]SomeNewYorker[/nom]Gosh, when will Intel ever stop changing the socket so often??? Make something that can last a little bit longer please!! I'm really tired of changing the whole motherboard whenever I just want to upgrade the CPU.[/citation]

Agreed....... I remember when they said Socket 1 would rule...

G

No overclocking? How will legions of basement-dwellers convince themselves they have large penises without it? OH NOES!

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
No overclocking and new socket is going to make this a flop. They apparently don't realize that the people who don't care about either wouldn't tell the difference between this and Core2. Integrated graphics is also an lol joke.

G

OK..... Here is a little something for anyone who is interested......

Sandy bridge HAS JUST ARRIVED where I live.......Although only i5 models for today but maybe i7 will also arrive very soon.......
It is in stock and for sale......

i5-2300 = 303 $
i5-2500 = 358 $

The motherboards:

Gigabyte P67A-UD7 = 498 $
Gigabyte P67A-UD5 = 386 $
Gigabyte P67A-UD4 = 291 $
Gigabyte P67A-UD3 = 202 $
Gigabyte P67A-UD3H = 219 $
Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H = 183$
Gigabyte PH67A-UD3 = 177 $
Gigabyte H67MA-U2H = 155 $
Gigabyte PH67-UD3 = 152 $

I live in Israel so we pay more for this stuff than the US.....probably the same as europe and sometimes a little more than that so keep that in mind.....

Happy holidays to all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS