[SOLVED] Why Windows10 apps and Start Menu stopped working after a downgrade on the GPU ?

jerrycano81

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
After uninstalling Nvidia drivers using a slightly older version of DDU in safe mode I put in the rx 480 I was going to benchmark. At first it would give and video so I reset a few times and nothing would come up. I eventually got video and I booted to windows and signed in and right away I didn't get any start up apps. No apps were working and the start menu wasn't working. So I hard powered off and turn it on and logged in and tried opening task manager to try a slew of different fixes to no avail.

Everything work in safe mode surprisingly. I never actually installed any amd drivers for the card and after trying to restore to a previous point that didn't work, I was about to reset when I thought to throw my 2080 back in and see if somehow that would fix it. It actually did. Also I do want to note that I was able to get to safe mode with a second account while doing all the troubleshooting and when I did that and after doing an update rollback, the 2nd account I had named "franky" was suddenly named Administrator. Really hope that doesn't mean I was hacked. If any one wants to share what they think I would appreciate it.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't say why the AMD card didn't work but Nvidia ones do. Do you know the GPU works as possible the card is the cause. the fact it didn't show at boot a few times could be a clue. How long did you leave it at desktop as its possible it was waiting on something to respond/time out and may have shown apps/start once it was finished. Did you try task manager at this time?

maybe you should have used newest version of DDU, since it all worked fine in safe mode it could be drivers or just fact safe mode puts less stress on parts than normal mode does.

after doing an update rollback, the 2nd account I had named "franky" was suddenly named Administrator.
what type of update rollback?
and after trying to restore to a previous point that didn't work
if you ran system restore for instance it includes copies of registry so its possible the 2nd account wasn't named at date you rolled back to.

jerrycano81

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
I can't say why the AMD card didn't work but Nvidia ones do. Do you know the GPU works as possible the card is the cause. the fact it didn't show at boot a few times could be a clue. How long did you leave it at desktop as its possible it was waiting on something to respond/time out and may have shown apps/start once it was finished. Did you try task manager at this time?

maybe you should have used newest version of DDU, since it all worked fine in safe mode it could be drivers or just fact safe mode puts less stress on parts than normal mode does.

what type of update rollback?

if you ran system restore for instance it includes copies of registry so its possible the 2nd account wasn't named at date you rolled back to.
Hello Colif,
So after a day I finally decided to turn my computer on after the whole ordeal, to my surprise the audio now doesn't work. Everytime I try to test the audio I get the error "pop-up failed to play test tone". I found all this out after disabling that administrator account... when trying to do so the AD kind menu came up and I was able to see the 'Franky' account and it was not disabled but does not show in when in the login screen also before any of this update rollback I never had to press control alt delete, I only had to click on the screen. I did disable the administrator account named administrator. After that is when I came across the no audio device connected with the speaker icon and x on the task bar. I went thru a bunch of different audio fixes such as updating the high definition audio drivers along with the Realtek drivers and well after trying all of those besides changing the quality of audio in sound settings which I kind of think is a bit ridiculous for that to cause it not to work. I also restarted the services window audio and audio endpoint. I restart after every driver install and what not but I couldn't get it working at all. I ended up trying my wireless headset with the USB dongle and nothing came through that either. After 2 hours plus of troubleshooting I gave up to come and write this reply.
Should I just reset my computer after backing up important files?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution