Why wont my external hard drive format?

Alex_D_22

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hello,
I just got a samsung external hard drive, model F2 for 320 gb of space. I was able to use it fine, putting all of my old files on it and ready for transport. Then my Husband got ahold of it. He tried to load it up with his files off of his folder and it froze his computer. So he unplugged it (it has a usb connector) and when I plugged it into mine, it said the files were corrupted. SO I looked up how to get corrupted files of of my external and everything told me to reformat. So I started the reformat, but the the loading bar got stuck just after starting. SO I tried to stop it and restart the format. Now it says access denied and I have no clue how to fix this. I am not worried about the files, I just want to get this think kicking again. Is there some way I can just wipe it clean and restart this whole mess?
I have tried running COmmand Promt
Disk Managment
and Partition Wizard. Help?!?!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Alex,

When the USB HDD was unplugged without using the "safely remove storage device", some of the files or partition may have become corrupted.

The Samsung F2 is listed as a SATA HDD. Did you place it in an external case, and connect it with a USB cable, or does it have another model # to better ID it? If it is removable, you might try connecting it to an internal SATA port on your desktop computer, downloading the Aeseus Data Recovery Wizard (Data, Partition, Deleted File Recovery Wizard), Home Edition freeware, and see if you can recover any of the files.

Here is the website: www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard

If you just want to clear the HDD and repartition, add a file system and reformat, might try the EaseaUS Partition Master (free for home use)

The URL is: www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm This is a very well respected application program

There is also a low level disk command prompt utility included in Windows, called DiskPart, which should get the job done also, but it is cryptic with a steep learning curve.