Why You Shouldn’t Buy Nvidia’s RTX 20-Series Graphics Cards (Yet)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Uh, so which side are you arguing, exactly? Most people handle that uncertainty by taking a wait-and-see approach.

By enough to justify the higher price?

Given how long it took to adopt previous standards, such as Direct 3D versions, it could actually be the case that Ray Tracing doesn't really catch on until the 3000-series launches. As such, most games that use it might not deliver satisfactory framerates (above 1080p) on 2000-series cards. So, it really is a gamble to pay more specifically for hardware features like ray tracing or DLAA/DLSS.

Seriously, the review embargo lifts in just 9 days (Sept. 14th, I've read). If you haven't preordered already, might as well just wait.

asim1973

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
If you have a 10 series no need to upgrade at all, if you have a 9 series, it depends on how good the performance is on the games you play, but personally I would still wait maybe a year or so. However if you're on the 8 series like I am then it's definitely the right time to upgrade. Personally I have the 870m in my 4 year old laptop so I'm looking to upgrade probably next year when laptops with these RTX 2080's will become mainstream. Definitely looking forward to it, the 10 series still struggle on 4k resolution so the 2080 is definitely going to be my next upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.