Why Your Wi-Fi Sucks And How It Can Be Helped, Part 1

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Man what a horrid article layout. I gave up after page 3....

djridonkulus

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Besides the lazyass crying and whining about having to click a link however many times (boo-friggity-hoo, TomsHardware ruined their life), I'd like to point out something I noticed:

60 laptops + 9 tablets = 69 (!!!) machines

Coincidence? haha sooo mature Toms

G

Too Many clicks is labor intensive - put it all on a couple of pages pleeze. Sounds like we're padding the site for more clicks.

Jamdodds

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Ah dorms. Yeah that's a whole different ballgame in terms of connection speed / latency. Jus be careful with speeds, 1 Mb/s is different than 1 MB/s, just like 1 Kb/s is different than 1 KB/s. Big B = bytes and little B = bits. There are 8 bits to a byte. It's normally not a big deal unless you are using k's and m's within a thought.

In routers, like the article states, you can turn features off you don't need. For instance, my router allows me to select 802.11b, or g, or both. I dont have any b devices so I switched it to G only. According to the article, this could filter out excess noise. Your router may be different. If you have a a/b/g router, you could consider upgrading to 802.11n router, of course, if your desktop's wireless card doesn't support 'n', then its got to go as well.

Lastly, the 2nd part to this article will tell us what devices work best under what circumstances, so hold off any decisions til it comes.

Hey thanks clonazepam. I have this adapter bought from the egg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056 It says it can operate on B,G, or N. I tried to sift through the information on the program, but I don't know how I can filter out other types of signals. The router is a (G), so I guess I need to find out how to filter out B and N from my adapter. Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it. Guess maybe if I can find a cheap (N) router, would that be best? Thanks again.

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I second the previous comments in regards to layout, and add that the text column is too narrow. I feel like my eyes are flitting back and forth like a coked up butterfly.

G

27 clicks - forget it - 4 second rule - you lost my attention when you destroyed the article by shredding it into itzy bitzy pages.
At best - you'll get 5 pages worth of attention from a tech reader, less from a causual reader (2 pages), and even less from an executive reader (1 page).
Reformat the article - or stop writing.

G

William, thank you for a well written article. Ignore the children who are spoiled and flame comments. Some people appreciate what you have written.

G

I expect the article was interesting. If I could have skimmed it I'd have found out.
Presumably there is some 'maximise the advert views' ultimatum? The splitting certainly has nothing to do with a good user interface / experience. Unfortunately, minimising the article views does nothing to help the advertisers.

(For those who apparently need their reading chewed into small chunks... have you tried comics instead of grown up text...?)

G

Also why do the arrow keys let you change? Very annoying having to make sure not to hit the left and right keys when scrolling down. Thanks to your terrible, generic images taking up the whole middle of the page, hitting left and right arrows to actually SEE the articles (after clicking the terribly useful READ MORE) this happens a lot and must start over. I only made it to page 4 before I had close this article.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
OMFG some of you are freaking lazy.. O noes.. I got to use my mouse.. I think if I can manage using a touch pad you'll be alright. If you fingers start to get sore I suggest you work out a little bit more.

(Hands everybody a box a kleenix).

Could the layout be better imo.. Yes, but there is no sense in straight up whining about it. And yes most of you are whining, nothing constructive about your criticism.

[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Really TH, you think I'm going to click next 27 times and Read more another 27 times? Sorry, but I'll read this when it is put on one huge page.[/citation]
Yeah, I can't even get page 2 to load.

G

Tried really hard to read this, but I couldn't get past the third page. Please republish in a sane format, this makes no sense as a "picture
article."

And while you are at it, if you're going to let people post anonymously, then don't force them to put in a username and email. That's lame.

G

Haven't been to the Tom's Hardware site in a couple of years, and THIS is the first thing I see! REALLY stupid. For all those who have refused to click 53 times, I've done my good deed for the day and put the whole thing in PDF form (excluding all the "chartjunk" pictures that don't actually convey technical content). (Why TH couldn't do that themselves after seeing all the complaints is beyond me.) E-mail me at tomshardware@[my name - see below].com and I'll send you a copy -- that e-mail address will exist for a week or two.
Randy Steer.

G

Mildly interesting from a Scientific American point of view, but it would have been nice if there were "practical" tips for improving wi-fi throughput as the title had implied

G

no "picture stories" please. this one will be forever unread

G

Content: 10
Writing: 10
Layout: 3

meh, i can live with that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.