Question Wi-Fi Access Point behind Sonicwall TZ-370

Aug 20, 2024
I have an access point behind a Sonicwall TZ-370. The Sonicwall is doing the DHCP. The Sonicwall does not have Wi-Fi. The Access Point provides the Wi-Fi. I tried to use an Asus RT-3100 Series Router set to Access Point mode for the Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi kept disconnecting. I temporarily hooked up a Belkin F5D7130 Access Point and it works perfectly. Are there some settings in the Asus that need to be changed for Access Point mode?

Ralston18

Titan
Quick question....

What IP addresses are being used?

Does the Access point have a Static IP address assigned to it?

A static IP address that is reserved via the Access Point's MAC and the Static IP address being outside of the allowed DHCP IP address range?

Aug 20, 2024
192.168.2.1-Sonicwall TZ-370 (DHCP Router without Wireless)
192.168.2.11-Static-Belkin Wireless Access Point (and was the Asus Wireless Router set as Access Point)
192.168.2.151-192.168.2.254- Dynamic Pool

Are the wifi radios configured exactly the same. Maybe the asus is using different channels and there is some issue on the channel it is using.

The belkin you link is a antique I don't think it even runs on 5g. Even if it is stable it must be extremely slow

Aug 20, 2024
As far as I can see, the radios are configured the same. The channels are the same. Yes the Belkin is an Antique. I pulled it out of my old storage box just to see if the Access Point Hardware was the issue. Assuming that the ASUS can't be diagnosed, I will get a new Access Point.

Turn off the 5g radio on the asus so you know that you are connection to the 2.4g. You can also use different ssid so you can force a connection. 5g in general does not go as far going through walls. By default devices will attempt to connection the 5g radio if the 2.4 and 5 radio share the same ssid.