Wich model Asus G75 should I get?

delta6niner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I have been doing a lot of research on laptops 3 months to be exact. I have found the laptop I wanna buy and desktops are not an option. The Asus g75 is the laptop I will be picking up next week. the problem is theres two models in my price range and I cannot decide wich is worth buying for me. One is 1250 the other 1499. The 1250 one is the same other then the graphics card and less ram 8GB and nvidia gtx 660m wich is newer tech and more efficient. The 1499 model has 12 GB of ram and nvidia geforce 670m wich is based on the older tech but is 25% faster. I play very high demanding games no mmos I play epic sci fi shooters like metro, crysis, stalker,mass effect, deus ex, series, fantasy rpgs like witcher, skyrim, diablo 3, and dragon age. Both cards seem to run most of these games at a decent fps on med to high settings at 1080p. The 660 actually ran Batman arkham city at 5 more fps on high then the 670 but all the other games were higher fps on the 670. averaging about 6-20 more fps on high. Im not a PC gamer,yet I have been playing most if these games on Ps3 and 360. I want a laptop that can play most modern games in these genres that will perform well on higher settings so I can see how good these games really look. Money is an issue but I will shell out the extra few hundred for the more expensive model if its that big of a difference. I dont know how much better the card is when people talk about frames per second and that the 670 is 25% faster then the 660? Is that a lot should I get the more expensive model or is the difference minimal and not that noticeable. Please help me decide. Dont want a msi or sager or anything else. Its between these 2 only.

Solution
I was in the exact same situation.
I wanted laptop capable of good gaming performance and it was down to Asus G75 with either the 660M or G70M.

After looking at the specs I bought the 660M. The extra RAM is just for bragging and the 20% extra power of the 670M will hardly be noticable in practice. It looks like it makes a difference on paper but I don't believe difference at 20% or less actually mater.

Meanwhile the 670 is just a relabled prev gen card with much higher power demand and needs more cooling. That together with the price makes it not worth it IMHO.

I bought the G75 with the 660M and I am *very* happy with it (had it for a week now).

The fan is surprisingly quiet. And I have yet to fel *any* heat from this laptop...

delta6niner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Same i7 3rd gen ivy bridge in both with turbo boost up to 3.4GHz cheaper model bbk5 has 1tb/5200 wich I think is 2 500GB hds lame. The more expensive model rs72 has 750GB/7200rpm.

delta6niner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Also the nvidia gtx 660m is 2GB dedicated video ram while the 670m is 3GB Im sorry I dont know what any of this means. I will only be using this for gaming I have a imac8 desktop for office and web.

fantastik250

Distinguished
Laptops will not be as good as desktops. Since you said you were not a PC gamer, don't put high expectations for it. I'd save the money and go for the 1250 and try and install a SSD Drive into the laptop see if it is compatible for that.

fantastik250

Distinguished
The Video RAM (2 or 3 GB) is explained, "Video RAM is really a buffer between the computer processor and the display and is often called the frame buffer. When images are to be sent to the display, they are first read by the processor as data from some form of main (non-video) RAM and then written to video RAM."

Source: http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/video-RAM

3 GB is a little much unless you put up resolutions higher than 1920x1080 or use multiple monitors.

2GB is sufficient enough for almost all games and graphic intensive games.

delta6niner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I know I had a desktop custom built and ready to order but wife said no we have a desktop and onky one office. My,consoles take up all the hd TVs and I just have no room for PC. I have heard a lot of good things about the said g75 with the nvidia geforce gtx 670 m 88 out of 100 on notebook and tecj review while the graphics card got s 9 out of ten. On 3dmark this model was able to play almost every modern high demanding games on ultra settings above 32 fps other then metro, battlefield, and witcher 2. If im not going to buy a PC ever should I not buy the more exspensive g75. Like I said though the more affordable model was not too far behind on 3dmark vantage about 20% is that a lot.

delta6niner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Thank you for your help by the way. It is possible to install an ssd im assuming thats a solid state drive? Does the 12GB of ram and newer quadcore i7 processor help at all with the graphics and performance of the games? I know the ssd will help me boot up faster and load into games faster but does it help graphics or general horsepower and not to go on forever but what if I bought the cheaper model and overclocked it and installed an ssd would that help me run higher settings with good fps. I have know idea what overclocking does other than making things run faster and using more power wich causes heat. U just want to play my steam games on decent settings so I can see how much better they look then on my consoles. The 660m is a upper midrange card and the 670m is a more topend performance card that supposedly the 670 us comparable to a

tholap

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I was in the exact same situation.
I wanted laptop capable of good gaming performance and it was down to Asus G75 with either the 660M or G70M.

After looking at the specs I bought the 660M. The extra RAM is just for bragging and the 20% extra power of the 670M will hardly be noticable in practice. It looks like it makes a difference on paper but I don't believe difference at 20% or less actually mater.

Meanwhile the 670 is just a relabled prev gen card with much higher power demand and needs more cooling. That together with the price makes it not worth it IMHO.

I bought the G75 with the 660M and I am *very* happy with it (had it for a week now).

The fan is surprisingly quiet. And I have yet to fel *any* heat from this laptop.
Everything I play is set to max settings and full resolution (1920x1080).
I'll get a SSD later for the 2nd HDD bay.

The laptop looks and feels very god.
Good screen and no glossy anywhere :)
Good sound quality

Downsides:
* Weight (this is a gaming desktop replacement don't plan to carry it around all day and use it for presentations on smal tables :) )
* Size - see above
* No media keys (play, stop, volume, etc...) - all done with Fn key mappings
* Insert key is on del key (+Fn) - stupid design decision - but keyboard layouts have been going downhill for some time everywhere - sigh
* the power brick is a BIG DAMN BRICK!

Given the purpose and the perfect quiet cooling on this laptop I find the size/weight forgivable - and acceptable compromise.
The keyboard layout is a small annoyance - but nothing major to worry about.

IMHO it's the best gaming laptop on the market atm (*all* things considered - Alienware I disqualify for price, ugliness and fan noise).
The alternative I considered was the Samsung Series 7 Gamer (also just recently released).

Solution

delta6niner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Sorry I cut myself off accidently as I was saying supposedly the 670m overclocks itself when needed and is comparable to a gt 470, radeon hd 6790, Quadro 5010m, and the geforce gtx 460 nvidia card. So I know I can't ever upgrade the card but isn't this machine a beast? I feel like it should rip through games like battlefield 3 and the witcher 2? New 3rd gen Quad core 3720 ivy bridge, 12GB of ram, 750GB/7200rpm HD, nvidia geforce gtx 660m 2GB or 670m 3GB both GDDR5-VRAM, and one of the best stock cooling systems around. I feel like this is comparable to some highend PCs just not upgradable? Its way more powerfull then the desktop I had custom built to order. Butt like I said I can read and research all day all night and I still cant grasp what all this means? Graphics cards, fps, full hd, native hd, ram, overclocking, harddrive/7200RPMs, ssd, I just want a simple answer is the G75 w/ 12GB of ram, 750/7200 RPMs, with the nvidia Fermi based gtx 670m going to make games loik that much better then the G75 w/ 8GB of ram, 1tb/5200 rpm hd, with the upper midrange keplar based DirectX 11.1 660m on par with amd radeon HD 6950?

PCSpartan

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

ACTUALLY:

The 1TB Harddrive is a Samsung 1TB 5400 rpm (single). The reason it's 5400 rpm is because technology isn't quiet there yet for speed are larger drives.

The main difference between any of the G75 series is: DVD drive type (blue ray or multi-DVD recorder), RAM 8 or 12 or 16 GBs worth, and GPU of 660M or 670M or I think 680M as well (not sure about last one. I recommend you get the cheaper one "G75VW-BBK5" model and purchase a Intel 520 series 180 or 240 GB SSD and purchase a new copy of Windows Professional 64 bit.

The reason for cheaper model is because you wont need anything over 8 GBS RAM unless you do serious video editing (I have 16 GBS in desktop and run crazy programs and never gets above 6 GBS). Secondly the Intel versions aforementioned are the fastest of the Intel series and are generally more reliable then other brands of SSD (I researched for years and now finally have one and its amazingly fast). Additionally I play BF3 and MW on full settings while running programs in the background on my G75-BBK (with the add-ons) and it runs flawlessly. The operating system is because the Asus version becomes annoying with all their proprietary BS, not to mention stock is Home edition; while Professional allows more indepth networkign capabilties. Lastly with a new version of OS you receive support from Microsoft instead of having to deal with Asus Tech Support; which I haven't had the best experience with (I entered BIOS password with special characters and on reboot tried to access BIOS and wouldnt let me cause it wouldnt accept special character entry [firmware issue and wanted me to send in and pay for servicing]).

Either way the G75-VW regardless of sub system is a good, reliable, gaming and process intensive machine.

Slaughteredyofish

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

I ordered mine from tigerdirect and it was 1,352$ in total with tax and everything here are the specs if you're interested.
Specs: i7-3610 QM 2.3 GHz
12 GB DDR3
500 GB 5400RPM (buy a 750GB 7200RPM and easily upgrade it if you're not satisfied)
Blu-Ray/DVDRW
2GB GTX 660M
And everything else here "http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2355975&sku=A50-173203"
Good luck!!

lolz... its in no way comparable to a gtx 470 or 6790 or any other high end gfx card for that matter...
it will run games like mw3 at 30-40fps max settings x4aa @1080p, while the 460 will max it easily at 60+ and the 470 will do the maximum 91. so who ever told you it was as powerfull as a full size desktop card was yankin yer chain...
dont get me wrong its a nifty little card and does well for its size but its nowhere near as powerful as your trying to make out...
1 think i did laugh at on the benchmark vids on youtube was the guys would say oh max settings 30+ fps but wouldnt show em on games like crysis 2 and dirt 3 but would for much weaker titles like mw3...

the truth is like many other things bent to suite its purpose.

its comaparable to the 6770 in performance which is definitely low mid for a desktop but pretty high end for a lappy.
its about 100 shaders short of a gtx 460 desktop card which puts it just above the thr gtx 270 and just belowthe gtx285 so will be about 15% slower than a gtx 460 which in turn is more than 25% slower than a gtx 470 can you see where im going yet?...
oh and the 660m 670m, 675m and 680m are not kepler cards there original cuda based. not fermi or kepler going by nvidias own site. kepler cards are specifically branded as such although hexus forum claims the 660m and 680m are kepler while the 670 and 675 are fermi (but they forget to tell your there just rebadged previous gen cards)... personally i would rather go of what nvidia have them listed as and thats cuda.
also kepler cards are dx11 not dx11.1 amd are the only 1s doing dx11.1 cards.

end result is your looking at medium settings @1080p on the 660/670 and 675 on bf3 with 35-45fps on a multiplayer map like gulf of oman. a lot higher with the 680m which i believe is the only kepler out of all of em performance wise.

sorry if that burst your bubble...

the absolute worst thing about this card is there selling it as high end when it just isnt... they have re-badged and re-badged there cards so no1 actually knows what the hell there buying... not only that there charging the moon for em 2...
the 6770 costs what $150 bux but a 660m cost nearer to 300... its ridiculous.
http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+670M/compare
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5914/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680m-kepler-gk104-goes-mobile a much clearer and unbias look...

miguel71

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

It says is 1600 x 900 not 1080p or is it an error, i do like that price but the spec says x 900 no 1080. I contact them and they could not answer the question they told me to call them by phone. answer please. thanks...

delta6niner

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012