mario72

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Hi,

I juts have found out that my motherboard is broken so i have to buy a new one.
but i am confused what kind of motherboard supports my cpu and my memmory that i have.
becuase i just dont have the money to replace them also.

I have a intel Pentium D
with the memmory
240-Pin DIMM
DDR2-533 / PC2-4200
JEDEC standard 1.8 +/- 0.1V power supply
Non ECC
DUAL CHANNEL
and the same memmory that is 2 GB
so i have 1GB + 2GB memmory

and right now i am looking for a motherboard that is compatible with this.

i have found 1 motherboard but i am confused with the memmory speed it says that the motherboard supports DDR2 SDRAM but the Speed that is supported are PC2-6400, PC2-5300
and like i said i have 2 memmorys that are PC2-4200
the motherboard that i want to buy is a ASUS P5KPL-AM SE
i really dont know if the supported memmory speed is importent or is supported by this motherboard
or may be a different motherboard is a better choise
i also have looked at the site crucial.com to see if the motherboard does support this memmory but it doenst so i dont know if thats true or not because the memmory that i have is also a DDR2

a few more things that i want to know before buying this if its good and supports my cpu and memmory
*if i buy this motherboard is it important to update you bios before using it
*and second thing the memmory that is supported by this motherboard why isnt my memmory listed at the site crucial.com if its well supported

here is the link to the motherboard i think this motherboard does support my cpu but i am not sure about the memmory if thats also supported by this motherboard.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4496442&CatId=3461

and please if there is a different motherboard that is better or even better supporting my cpu and memmory that would be great.

but i have looked around and every now new motherboards that i see are only supporting the memmory speed of PC2-6400, PC2-5300 i dont know if that a big deal to worry about.

anyway i hope soemone can help me out with this

thanks

If you live in the states, newegg may have some older 775 boards that work with your memory on Tuesday night/Wed. They were only $12.95 plus $7 shipping. Made by biostar. These are open box boards with no accessories or backplate. They come with a 15 day warranty. Biostar will ship you a backplate for free if you email them, last time I tried.

mario72

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

oke but what about the motherboard that i had chosen is that supported by the cpu and memmory that i have or not

mario72

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
hi,

i looked at their website and youre right it isnt listed there but
lets say i buy this board will this be compatible with my memmory

my memmory info
240-Pin DIMM
DDR2-533 / PC2-4200
JEDEC standard 1.8 +/- 0.1V power supply
Non ECC
DUAL CHANNEL
and the same memmory that is 2 GB
so i have 1GB + 2GB memmory

i have looked at the other board that is not the special edition and the memmory isnt supported by that
i als want to know can this memmory work with this motherboard if the motherboard supports only the memmory speed of PC2-6400 and PC2-5300

thanks