Question Wierd audio problems with Harmon Kardon Onyx 4 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2019
Hi,

I am quite new at this whole business with audio, bluetooth speakers, aux and that sort of stuff so please bear with me if my explanation is pretty sketch.

So, when the Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 4 was on sale I picked up two for my apartment with the intention to use them through my TV while using chromecast. Since my TV don't have support for bluetooth I have connected my speakers via AUX and a AUX-splitter plugged into the Headphones port on the TV. It works like a charm! Most of the times..

So the problem is that when casting through chromecast the sound occasionally disconnects for 4-5 seconds and then continues in sync with the video (the video keeps playing when the sound cuts). First I thought it was just happening at random but it turns out that if I play the same part of the movie/song/youtube clip it happens at the EXACT same time of the video/song/whatever. Obviously this is super annoying when it keeps happening and I tried a lot of things to troubleshoot the problem. I'll try to list what I have done below.

First of all I tried only connecting one speaker without using the AUX-splitter and the same thing happens at the same point in the video.

I also tried changing AUX-cables and same thing happens.

I then tried streaming the video/song without the speakers connected and instead using the TV as speakers and it works like a charm so it seems to not be a chromecast problem.

I also tried watching the video on the netflix app and using the speakers through bluetooth without any problems so there seems to be no problem with the bluetooth.

I then tried connecting the speakers with the AUX-splitter to my phone and that works aswell.

Today I bought a bluetooth transmitter and paired the speakers and connected it to the TV through the headphone jack and it worked (so it feels like it's not a problem with the headphone jack either..). However.. the speakers give off a quite annoying static noise.

I just feel like I tried most of the stuff and I can't really think of a solution to the problem. Anyone experienced the same or have any ideas how I can solve this? Any help is much appreciated!
PS. Sorry for messy post!

Nov 1, 2019
Hi,

I am quite new at this whole business with audio, bluetooth speakers, aux and that sort of stuff so please bear with me if my explanation is pretty sketch.

So, when the Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 4 was on sale I picked up two for my apartment with the intention to use them through my TV while using chromecast. Since my TV don't have support for bluetooth I have connected my speakers via AUX and a AUX-splitter plugged into the Headphones port on the TV. It works like a charm! Most of the times..

So the problem is that when casting through chromecast the sound occasionally disconnects for 4-5 seconds and then continues in sync with the video (the video keeps playing when the sound cuts). First I thought it was just happening at random but it turns out that if I play the same part of the movie/song/youtube clip it happens at the EXACT same time of the video/song/whatever. Obviously this is super annoying when it keeps happening and I tried a lot of things to troubleshoot the problem. I'll try to list what I have done below.

First of all I tried only connecting one speaker without using the AUX-splitter and the same thing happens at the same point in the video.

I also tried changing AUX-cables and same thing happens.

I then tried streaming the video/song without the speakers connected and instead using the TV as speakers and it works like a charm so it seems to not be a chromecast problem.

I also tried watching the video on the netflix app and using the speakers through bluetooth without any problems so there seems to be no problem with the bluetooth.

I then tried connecting the speakers with the AUX-splitter to my phone and that works aswell.

Today I bought a bluetooth transmitter and paired the speakers and connected it to the TV through the headphone jack and it worked (so it feels like it's not a problem with the headphone jack either..). However.. the speakers give off a quite annoying static noise.

I just feel like I tried most of the stuff and I can't really think of a solution to the problem. Anyone experienced the same or have any ideas how I can solve this? Any help is much appreciated!
PS. Sorry for messy post!
I have exactly the same pb (chromecast, aux..)

Nov 29, 2019
I have exactly same problem as well. When i connect my onyx studio t4 to phone or laptop via bluetooth, it works really well. But when i change it to aux, the sounds occasionally muted and then normal again

Nov 29, 2019
I have the same problem. I believe I have an idea why. As stated by OP the sounds doesn't cut out randomly, it's always the same spot of the movie/show. These occurrences seem to always coincide with times when the movie/show is quiet so there is no sound input to the speaker for those couple seconds. When there is no wired input I believe the speaker then defaults to BT. This creates the the cutout/loss of sound as it reads input from the wired connection and transitions back to the wired input. Hopefully Harmon Kardon is aware of this and can fix this with a software update. It's current default to search for BT sound input is too quick when no input (quiet scene) with wired input.
Anyone know if there a way to turn off the BT completely and only use wired input?

Status
Not open for further replies.