FUBAR

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I have just completed a 1.1Ghz Athlon (not oc at present)256Mb Pc133 cl2 ram 30Gb HD, Abit KT7A mobom, SBLive 1024, Hercules Geforce 2 Pro 64Mb. After running the system for around an hour the system become v slow and refuses to do anything. It sometoimesrefuses to repond to shutdown. If I reboot then it is back to its perky self until it slows down again after an hour. I am running Win98SE and McAfee Virus Scan 5. I dont have anything else installed and I am not running any games yet. Any ideas I think that it may be somethin to do with the ram as its fixed if I reboot. I have installed the 4.28 final drivers for the via chipset but this didn't seem to make any difference and the grfx card is the version compatible with the Abit mobo (I sent it back for an revised version)

Cheers

Theobob

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Very interesting,i have just built a 1Ghz Athlon spec:
Kinetiz via apollo KT-133 m`board
128mb PC133
30 g HD
SB 1024
Voodoo3 3000
I have been getting sytem freeze ups,but only when i play games.I have to use the re-set to go again.
I too have installed the latest 4.28 drivers and i feel this has improved the situation slightly,but i am begining to suspect that the ram my be the problem,i have been told that fast Athlons do not like "generic ram",so i intend to buy some branded ram to see if that works. I will keep you posted
Good Luck Fubar
Theobob

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Found this at <A HREF="http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit FAQ</A>.

"Why is my system sluggish or runs hot with antivirus software installed?"

<A HREF="http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/faqmisc.html#Why is my system sluggish or runs hot with antivirus software installed?" target="_new">Click here.</A>

FUBAR

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Finally found the problem...... The fu**in' modem. I finally clocked the fact that the computer crashed everytime the phone rang!! Sounds obvious but my brother finally noticed it. Anyway the modem had decided that it was sooooo important that everytime the phone rang it would try to use 100% cpu whatever the comp was doing at the time, this began to piss my bro off as my dad was getting work calls every 10mins so he got to about the same point in his game and it crashed. Tried a diff game...it crashed. Anyway I changed the modem (Diamond supraexpress pro VCC) for one I have lying around (USR 33.6) and the problem disappeared. I am now in a fierce battle with dabs for a refund/replacement of the modem.. I WILL WIN< I WILL WIN!! sorry got distracted and had to vent my anger somewhere, thanks for the suggestions, I had found the VS thing on McAfees website.

FUBAR

Any idea why Americans are so violent? "I know exactly why, their wallpaper is ghastly!!"

Theobob

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Ah the modem eh!
I dont think thats what my problem is ,but you`ve got me think`in.I too have got the same modem as you had.
Very interesting point about yanks!!
Their society was built on the gun so we should not be suprised.(but then why are they crap at multiplay?)