[SOLVED] Wierd temperatures in CPU and HD0 from SpeedFan and very high ones CPU from CoreTemp

Coldwave

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I am seeing strange values from the softwares named above. Here the IDLE temperatures:

From SpeedFan (idle):

CPU 137°Celsius (I know it cant be right, or it would shut down)

HD0 138°Celsius (honestly I raise my hands from this)

From CoreTemp (idle):

medium T = 40-45°C

From CoreTemp (stressed)

medium T= 90°C (one time it reached 101)

Before anyone throw a bucked of ice in my face to prevent a fire, I say that I installed these softwares only for curiosity. My system works perfectly fine but I felt like the case were "hot" (like 38-40°C more or less), so I decided to see with my own eyes the exact values. I can clearly say SpeedFan is not properly detecting the temperatures, but after seeing how it increases during the so called "stress", i ordered a new thermal paste and a new cooling system. Now I have a Corsair AIO that is 8 years old maximum. My core is a modest i7-4790K that NEVER gave me the reason to think it was damaged or "overheating" as it never shut down or do something I didn't expect, I repeat that my concern came out only from the software reports.

Did someone experienced something similar?

Solution
Thanks for your reply. I tried to update BIOS 10 minutes after your post, and after 2 hours of "stuck" at 18% i understood that bios uptade was not lucky for me today. So I did an hard reset and praied. My system got back to normal but without bios update so nothing changed.

I have a new question btw that came in mind just now:

the liquid cooler fan should be responsive of how the core is heating right? So if I don't hear it (but it works as air is moving there) it means that maybe it doesn't detect hot liquid. So the question is: am I right that the "calm" fan should result in only 2 things: bad cpu-copper plate of cooler connection OR everything is fine and my softwares dont report the right temperature?
For AIO coolers it's...
Hello Everyone,
I am seeing strange values from the softwares named above. Here the IDLE temperatures:

From SpeedFan (idle):

CPU 137°Celsius (I know it cant be right, or it would shut down)

HD0 138°Celsius (honestly I raise my hands from this)

From CoreTemp (idle):

medium T = 40-45°C

From CoreTemp (stressed)

medium T= 90°C (one time it reached 101)

Before anyone throw a bucked of ice in my face to prevent a fire, I say that I installed these softwares only for curiosity. My system works perfectly fine but I felt like the case were "hot" (like 38-40°C more or less), so I decided to see with my own eyes the exact values. I can clearly say SpeedFan is not properly detecting the temperatures, but after seeing how it increases during the so called "stress", i ordered a new thermal paste and a new cooling system. Now I have a Corsair AIO that is 8 years old maximum. My core is a modest i7-4790K that NEVER gave me the reason to think it was damaged or "overheating" as it never shut down or do something I didn't expect, I repeat that my concern came out only from the software reports.

Did someone experienced something similar?
Give HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/ it's most detailed and accurate. I's also not uncommon that some sensors are not working properly, updating BIOS may help.

Coldwave

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Give HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/ it's most detailed and accurate. I's also not uncommon that some sensors are not working properly, updating BIOS may help.
Thanks for your reply. I tried to update BIOS 10 minutes after your post, and after 2 hours of "stuck" at 18% i understood that bios uptade was not lucky for me today. So I did an hard reset and praied. My system got back to normal but without bios update so nothing changed.

the liquid cooler fan should be responsive of how the core is heating right? So if I don't hear it (but it works as air is moving there) it means that maybe it doesn't detect hot liquid. So the question is: am I right that the "calm" fan should result in only 2 things: bad cpu-copper plate of cooler connection OR everything is fine and my softwares dont report the right temperature?

For AIO coolers it's most important that pump runs at proper speed, in most systems it's desirable for pump to run full speed all the time.

Reactions: Coldwave
Solution

Coldwave

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
For AIO coolers it's most important that pump runs at proper speed, in most systems it's desirable for pump to run full speed all the time.
Dude you just saved me!!! I started the mobo bios so see what settings it has and... it was set as a "CPU fan" so it has an adjustable RPM based on temperature. I changed the curve to 100% always and now my CPU hardly reach 60 degrees even stressing it very much.

Sad is tomorrow I will receive my new AIO cooler, this one is 10 years old but as today I figued out it works perfectly, I don't feel right to replace it.

Thanks again CountMike

Dude you just saved me!!! I started the mobo bios so see what settings it has and... it was set as a "CPU fan" so it has an adjustable RPM based on temperature. I changed the curve to 100% always and now my CPU hardly reach 60 degrees even stressing it very much.

Sad is tomorrow I will receive my new AIO cooler, this one is 10 years old but as today I figued out it works perfectly, I don't feel right to replace it.

Thanks again CountMike
You're welcome. Most if not all AIOs that do not have own controller have pumps calculated for and made so pumps have to run full speed all the time. For same reason newest MBs have an AIO_Pump header that is non adjustable for speed. Some also have W_Pump header but it's adjustable for custom coolers because their pumps are mostly oversized. In AIOs, pump is "just enough" for that system.
If your pump is connected to CPU_FAN you would want to connect it to some other fan header and connect radiator fans to CPU_Fan header. That would enable you to adjust fan speed according to CPU temperature, lowering noise when not needed to run too fast.
Maybe you should replace it with new one since you already have it, 10 years is quite old for them, specially because new ones are safer. Any leak could spell a disaster.
BTW; which one is it ?

Coldwave

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
I bought a modest Corsair Hydro H60 as I don't have much space in my Case (even if I did a very hard job cablating it well to not create obstacles for air flowing. I wanted to replace my old one, which is corsair aswell but I can't remember the model and its almost impossible to see it without taking it out. More or less is the same thing except the led light and the fan radious (this one is 120mm, a bit larger).

I bought a modest Corsair Hydro H60 as I don't have much space in my Case (even if I did a very hard job cablating it well to not create obstacles for air flowing. I wanted to replace my old one, which is corsair aswell but I can't remember the model and its almost impossible to see it without taking it out. More or less is the same thing except the led light and the fan radious (this one is 120mm, a bit larger).
AIO coolers of that size are no better than your average air cooler.

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
Well i had that problem on one of my pc too. I bought a AIO cooler and it was a little big(mine is DeepCool Captain 120ex and its like your corsair) the case metal plates for the fan prevents me to screw it on screw holes. But it fits. If you are experiencing this problem you could drill the 2 diagonal screws hole approximately and it would fit greatly. Just some accuracy on drilling