Question WiFi adapter receiving weak or no signal.

Mar 8, 2022
I wanna preface this by saying I'm not familiar with tech stuff, but I'll try and give the best info I can.

So the issue I'm having is that my onboard wifi adapter isn't receiving hardly any signal. If my pc is close to the router it gets a very weak signal, move it farther away and it disappears entirely. Every other device in my house gets great signal with high connection speeds whether it's a different pc, phone, whatever. I bought a NETGEAR A6100 wifi adapter which gets signal, but the connection is spotty, and disconnects frequently. I've tried lots of the solutions I found online like uninstalling the driver and various commands. No luck. The driver I have installed right now is Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC and I have no option to rollback to an earlier driver.

That's about all I know. It's worth noting that this happened immediately after driving 3000 miles with my pc in my trunk. Before that it was fine, so it's entirely possible something is just broken and needs to be replaced, but that's the only issue I've had since the move so I dunno.

PC specs:
Device name DESKTOP-PR9NECO
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Device ID ED1CC0F5-A554-4775-8BE3-C0300FDD997F
Product ID 00325-82029-90047-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Did you disable the wired network adapter? Only one adapter (either wired or wireless) should be enabled.

Turn off IPv6.

This: "I bought a separate usb wifi "

What make and model USB wifi network adapter did you purchase?

Does the wireless network adapter feel very warm or even hot? Touch before booting and then again (carefully) after trying to make a wireless network connection.

Try manually downloading the wireless network adapter's drivers directly via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party installers.

Try using a USB extension cable to "move" the wireless adapter up and away from the case.

kanewolf

Titan
I wanna preface this by saying I'm not familiar with tech stuff, but I'll try and give the best info I can.

So the issue I'm having is that my onboard wifi adapter isn't receiving hardly any signal. If my pc is close to the router it gets a very weak signal, move it farther away and it disappears entirely. Every other device in my house gets great signal with high connection speeds whether it's a different pc, phone, whatever. I bought a seperate usb wifi adapter which gets signal, but the connection is spotty, and disconnects frequently. I've tried lots of the solutions I found online like uninstalling the driver and various commands. No luck. The driver I have installed right now is Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC and I have no option to rollback to an earlier driver.

That's about all I know. It's worth noting that this happened immediately after driving 3000 miles with my pc in my trunk. Before that it was fine, so it's entirely possible something is just broken and needs to be replaced, but that's the only issue I've had since the move so I dunno.
Since you moved your PC, is it possible that you didn't reattach the antennas to the motherboard?