[SOLVED] WIFI at 240 Mbps but Ethernet at 100Mbps. need some help checking why

Krix0cris

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
Hi,
my student accomodation has recently changed ISP and the connection went from 50Mbps free with up to 100mbps paid, to "1Gbps" free.
this is a great improvement but my ethernet connection is stuck at 94Mbps while wifi goes up to 170Mbps.
i think ethernet cable should always be faster than wifi so i want to try and fix this.

i have contacted support and they guided me through changing duplex settings to full duplex 100mbps, but it didnt work and im still waitting for a answer from them.

so i decided to ask the experts here for any ideas why this is happening and some things i could try to fix it.

ps: i dont have access to the router, i only have a ethernet port in my room and a good wifi signal

thank you for your time

Solution
Ethernet is pretty simple when it comes to the speed. You want to always leave it on auto. Setting it to some value does not work unless you can set both ends and most routers only run on auto.

The reason it runs at 100mbps is either the port in the router and/or your machine is not 10/100/1000. It is kinda rare for a end machine to not have gigabit ports. If they did not upgrade the router it could still have only 100mbps lan ports. In your case there could also be switches that only run 10/100 in the path.

If all the electronics is 10/100/1000 then it must be a cable issue. You can try to replace the patch cable between the wall and your PC. Make sure you buy quality cable there is massive amount of fake cable being...
Ethernet is pretty simple when it comes to the speed. You want to always leave it on auto. Setting it to some value does not work unless you can set both ends and most routers only run on auto.

The reason it runs at 100mbps is either the port in the router and/or your machine is not 10/100/1000. It is kinda rare for a end machine to not have gigabit ports. If they did not upgrade the router it could still have only 100mbps lan ports. In your case there could also be switches that only run 10/100 in the path.

If all the electronics is 10/100/1000 then it must be a cable issue. You can try to replace the patch cable between the wall and your PC. Make sure you buy quality cable there is massive amount of fake cable being sold. It must be pure copper (no CCA) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable)

That leaves the in wall cabling as the source of the issue. Check that all 4 pair of wires are connected properly on both ends. It is very rare for the wires in the wall to be bad but it is very common for one of he ends to either be incorrectly installed or have a wire loose or damaged over time. You can in most cases easily re punch the ends down.

Solution

Krix0cris

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019

If all the electronics is 10/100/1000 then it must be a cable issue. You can try to replace the patch cable between the wall and your PC. Make sure you buy quality cable there is massive amount of fake cable being sold. It must be pure copper (no CCA) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable)

That leaves the in wall cabling as the source of the issue. Check that all 4 pair of wires are connected properly on both ends. It is very rare for the wires in the wall to be bad but it is very common for one of he ends to either be incorrectly installed or have a wire loose or damaged over time. You can in most cases easily re punch the ends down.
my laptop is a Razer Blade 15 2019 edition so it should be a gigabit port but i am currently looking at why everywhere i go in settings it shows 100mbps for my network adapter ( and even nordvpn is showing 1gbps and 100gbps). and i also changed the speed to auto negotiate to avoid mis match.

it shoudnt be a bad ethernet cable as i am using a cat7 cable and even tried a different one with same results.
same with the port in the room as i tried in another room next to me and had the same results.

i will check with the support to see if they changed/checked the hardware to make sure its 10/100/1000.

in the meantime, is there something i can do to make sure my network adapter is at 10/100/1000?

It would be rare that a modern computer not have 10/100/1000 ports. it is actually part of the chipset that run all the USB and other ports. The only one I know that did something really stupid was lenovo put 100mbps on a laptop even though the chipsets it used could easily run gigabit. Then again lenovo is know for selling garbage.

Since it does it in another room I would bet they have a older 10/100 switch in the path.

Krix0cris

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
It would be rare that a modern computer not have 10/100/1000 ports. it is actually part of the chipset that run all the USB and other ports. The only one I know that did something really stupid was lenovo put 100mbps on a laptop even though the chipsets it used could easily run gigabit. Then again lenovo is know for selling garbage.

Since it does it in another room I would bet they have a older 10/100 switch in the path.
i am talking with a agent and was told they changed all switches in the building so it might something else

Krix0cris

Prominent
Jun 8, 2019
small update.
the support agent may have found an error on their side and will keep me in touch.
so hopefully its something with their hardware and not mine :)

TRENDING THREADS