Question Wifi card signal randomly dropping after Windows 1909 update

My Wifi card is randomly acting up, its signal strength is jumping from 100-75-50-90 randomly after Windows 1909 update which i did a few weeks back. My wifi card is Asus AC55BT which is based on intel 8260 wifi card and is situated 1- 2 metres fro the router, the outside temps have dropped by 25C in winter and i think that also may have been the cause of this issue.

Now the wifi card is on the lowest pcie slot on the motherbaord, don't know if it is causing issue or Windows update is causing issues. I also updated Mobo Bios to latest stable one.

I am on the latest Drivers from Intel.

Here is how my cards are installed:

emobwZV.jpg

I abandoned Wifi cards a year ago as I couldn't get fast speeds from my 1Gbps internet connection and when I get about 400Mbps on speedtests with an expensive 100$ Wifi card like Asus, it would behave just like your card, slower speeds to disconnections. This is because the Wifi card is overheating since its small and does not have a heatsink like a router.

My solution was to buy a good Xiaomi Gigabit router for 30$ from AliExpress and use it as an Ethernet repeater. I am now getting 500Mbps in speedtests without disconnections and my modem is in the basement while my PC is on the 3rd floor which even the most expensive Wifi cards couldn't get. My PC is connected to the Xiaomi router via Ethernet 1Gbps. Even my new gaming laptop close to the router with an Intel Wifi card could not get more than 265Mbps on speed tests. New routers like the Xiaomi have heatsinks on their chipset to prevent throttling and overheating. A 30$ solution was much better than a 100$ one lmao

p.s: Don't get the 100Mbps version of the Xiaomi as it has a slower chipset with lower throughput.

Last edited:
Did you try a clean install of the driver? Fixed my issue on My ASUS USB Wireless Adapter.
yes, clean installed the driver.

I abandoned Wifi cards a year ago as I couldn't get fast speeds from my 1Gbps internet connection and when I get about 400Mbps on speedtests with an expensive 100$ Wifi card like Asus, it would behave just like your card, slower speeds to disconnections. This is because the Wifi card is overheating since its small and does not have a heatsink like a router.

My solution was to buy a good Xiaomi Gigabit router for 30$ from AliExpress and use it as an Ethernet repeater. I am now getting 500Mbps in speedtests without disconnections and my modem is in the basement while my PC is on the 3rd floor which even the most expensive Wifi cards couldn't get. My PC is connected to the Xiaomi router via Ethernet 1Gbps. Even my new gaming laptop close to the router with an Intel Wifi card could not get more than 265Mbps on speed tests. New routers like the Xiaomi have heatsinks on their chipset to prevent throttling and overheating. A 30$ solution was much better than a 100$ one lmao

p.s: Don't get the 100Mbps version of the Xiaomi as it has a slower chipset with lower throughput.

I also have a gigabit router from TP Link (archer c6). Works pretty great on lan but problem is my doggo keeps chewing up the wire, looking for alternatives when I saw this on sale.

I own 2 of these , run great , decent range.

I have the same adapter new from bestbuy and it couldn't reach past 400Mbps on speedtests even thought the link speed was 1.3Gbps and even then it would drop speed and disconnect, the device was too hot to touch, it would burn my hands. Its good for <400Mbps Internet but it heats up fast with Gigabit internet.

Did you try a clean install of the driver? Fixed my issue on My ASUS USB Wireless Adapter.

Looks like I have found the source of the problem. Apparently my Speaker which was just under the Antennas was interfering with the Wifi in some way which apparently made the wifi card go bonkers. Now its working fine and ping response has also become normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizo007