Jul 15, 2019
My WiFi randomly cuts out and will only come back on once the modem automatically restarts
I can get the WiFi to come back on faster by manually restarting the modem
The modem was recently replaced so I'm not sure if the modem is the issue
This has been an issue for around a month now, this was happening before and after the modem got replaced

Solution
There are around 20 devices connected to the router

If I were to purchase a new router and/or modem what are some good options that are affordable
The devices would also need to be compatible with suddenlink

Thanks for that. You may not realise but you self-diagnosed pretty much. Unfortunately, the simple answer for your use-case is to buy a new router, and this time not cheap out. It's one of those annoying necessary expenses: think a good chair, comfortable mattress. We all get there sooner or later.

Unless you're running something serious, you're going to have a bad time trying to run 20 devices off a generic router. Check some of these out:

The...

Kim Jong Greg

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
Hi Everest76

I'm afraid we have to unpack this to get a better picture of what the cause of your predicament may be.
  1. What device are you referring to when you say "modem"? (What's the setup you're running? Do you have a modem, connecting directly to the wall, and, a WiFi router which connects to that? Alternatively, are you running a "hub" type broadband router?)
  2. When you say "randomly cuts out" what are the symptoms of that? How many devices connect to that router? Do they all loose connection, or, is there a single device that's experiencing more/all of the disconnections?
  3. What is the gear you have?

This was happenning to me every day until I bit a bit the bullet and bought a considerably more expensive router compared to most of the budget-priced ones or the trashy ones supplied by my ISP at the time. I bought a Billion router, cost twice as much as the £70 Netgear one but no more WiFi problems after that.

Well, throwing money on a problem is only one of the solutions. I mean it worked, so there, but I would expect more from any £70 router, and Netgear is hardly a no-name brand.

I'm only telling you how I fixed the problem mate ---- I didn't say Netgear was a "no name" brand, but I strongly believe now that you need to pay considerably more than £70 for a reliable and durable router/modem unit.

Kim Jong Greg

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
[...] I strongly believe now that you need to pay considerably more than £70 for a reliable and durable router/modem unit.

So you did; still, I'd be pretty livid if I just replaced a modem and the apparent solution was "go buy another modem, and this time don't cheap out" :)
I'm hoping to find out what is the OP running at his place and if they're any obvious underlying issues. I remember having a cheap ISP-provided router once which I could not get to talk with any Apple devices no matter what.

Jul 15, 2019
Hi Everest76

I'm afraid we have to unpack this to get a better picture of what the cause of your predicament may be.

1. What device are you referring to when you say "modem"? (What's the setup you're running? Do you have a modem, connecting directly to the wall, and, a WiFi router which connects to that? Alternatively, are you running a "hub" type broadband router?)
  2. When you say "randomly cuts out" what are the symptoms of that? How many devices connect to that router? Do they all loose connection, or, is there a single device that's experiencing more/all of the disconnections?
  3. What is the gear you have?
When I say modem I mean the cable modem
Suddenlink recently replaced the modem, it’s their modem and I have never bought my own

The WiFi will cut out around every 30 to 60 minutes and every device loses connection
I get the “connection but no internet error”, every device has the WiFi symbol with the yellow triangle over it
The modem restarting is the only thing that fixes this error
Also, after around 10 at night I do not have any problems with the WiFi cutting out

The router is a linksys ea6350 router, one of the cheap $70 routers you guys were talking about
The router is connected directly to the modem and every device loses connection including the devices connected directly through an ethernet cable

If I were to purchase a new router and/or modem what are some good options that are affordable

Last edited:

Kim Jong Greg

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019

Thanks for that. You may not realise but you self-diagnosed pretty much. Unfortunately, the simple answer for your use-case is to buy a new router, and this time not cheap out. It's one of those annoying necessary expenses: think a good chair, comfortable mattress. We all get there sooner or later.

Unless you're running something serious, you're going to have a bad time trying to run 20 devices off a generic router. Check some of these out:

The possible alternative depends on the types of devices you're trying to connect and whether there is a cheaper way to bundle them and structure your network differently. Are we talking 20 computers/laptops/mobiles or is there some smart tech involved somehow?

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 15, 2019

The possible alternative depends on the types of devices you're trying to connect and whether there is a cheaper way to bundle them and structure your network differently. Are we talking 20 computers/laptops/mobiles or is there some smart tech involved somehow?
Thanks for the help, I will look into getting a new router

Reactions: Kim Jong Greg