[SOLVED] Wifi Extender Question

morpheus305

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Wifi works pretty good throughout our house except out in our family room which was an addition onto the house. Long time ago I ran an ethernet line out there and put a switch in the room for devices that needed it. We recently got a firestick for the tv and the wifi signal isn't that good. I was thinking about getting a wifi extender but don't know anything about them. My question is should I get one that plugs into a wall outlet? I've seen some that look like they use ethernet as well. Not sure and just wanted your opinions about this.

Solution
My question is should I get one that plugs into a wall outlet? I've seen some that look like they use ethernet as well. Not sure and just wanted your opinions about this.

If you have a wired connection there already, you'd be looking for an access point.
You could connect any access point, or repurpose an older router etc.... but those would create their own SSID etc. Depending on your router, you may be able to purchase something that'll 'play nice' and allow you to roam between your Wifi signals automatically.... but that'll depend on your router.

A lot of ISPs will have an offering for this type of config, if you're just using the ISP provided router.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
My question is should I get one that plugs into a wall outlet? I've seen some that look like they use ethernet as well. Not sure and just wanted your opinions about this.

If you have a wired connection there already, you'd be looking for an access point.
You could connect any access point, or repurpose an older router etc.... but those would create their own SSID etc. Depending on your router, you may be able to purchase something that'll 'play nice' and allow you to roam between your Wifi signals automatically.... but that'll depend on your router.

A lot of ISPs will have an offering for this type of config, if you're just using the ISP provided router.

Solution
You can run most extenders as AP but you have to be sure the wifi repeater function is turned off. But as mentioned above you can just use a old or inexpensive router as the AP. You can set the SSID the same or different up to you. I tend to like to have them different so I can force the end device to connect where I know is best. They are pretty stupid when they run on their own. Wifi was never really designed for roaming so it works very poorly even on the so called mesh systems because it is the end device not the network deciding.